Integrated Blind Spot Mirrors

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080806/ford_blind_...irror.html?.v=3

Ford will start putting them on the 2009's ASAP - trying to beat the new Chevy crossover which will also have them.

the article mentions how cheap they will be to include in the Edge for Ford, only a buck or two more than the existing mirrors cost them. I wonder if that means I can go to the dealer and order them for a reasonable amount. I'd really love to retrofit. I have a tiny square stick-on blind spot mirror (Auto Zone!), and don't particularly care for it but it was the best thing I could find that was a decent fit for a few bucks

would love the integrated, flat (futuristic) look and they're a great safety feature... anyone else?

I've had a few near misses. It seems as though I can see way behind me & I start to change lanes & someone is almost beside me. I've tried moving the mirror out some. This helps but still could be better. I'd love to get a pair of those mirrors.

Wouldn't have happened if you simply turned your head to the left and looked over your shoulder.

Wouldn't have happened if you simply turned your head to the left and looked over your shoulder.

d'ohh.. akirby with a nice zinger.... but he could have been talking about his right side.

FWIW.. I also had a few near misses when I first got the car and realized there was a definite blind spot in the rearview & side view mirrors.

I do that also, but since the tint is so dark on the rear windows, its difficult to see quickly. There is an off ramp just beyond where I get onto the highway & much of the traffic is trying to squeeze right to take that while those getting on are trying to squeeze lef to get away from them.

• 2 months later...
Anybody have an update on these mirrors?

When will the parts dept. have them?

Will there be an 09 Edge?

ab

I actually stopped by the dealership yesterday because I saw some 09's on the lot. They have the blind spot mirrors integrated on both sides. The Edge I was looking at was in the new cinnamon color. Very nice.

• 3 weeks later...
I checked with a Ford dealer parts dept yesterday and he said I need a part number(s) before he can order the bindspot mirrors...and he doubts if they'll retro fit my 08 SEL....? Anyone get this feedback also?

Thanks

Our MKX service dept was also confused. So I said to tell the parts dept that he had a 09 with a busted left mirror.

He said "OOHH, that would be me today and I'll let me know."

This a small dealership, they don't have any 09 MKX's yet.

ab

and he doubts if they'll retro fit my 08 SEL....

frankly.. I would be surprise if they did NOT fit. the mirror bodies look identical, and not sure why a new mirror with blindspot would require the remaking of a different body. If anything, it would be financially prudent to tweak as little as possible.. which in this case would seem to be leave the body, tweak the mirror and keep using the same bodies.

I think the bigger question would be how costly for just the mirror or must you buy the entire color matched body/mirror system and/or how hard would it be to access and remove the existing mirror assuming you even can. I could also seem them make this a closed system such that when you break a mirror, you must pop for a whole new body/mirror. that would also be a better part money maker for them.

post-2453-1226453209_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lex Talionis

frankly.. I would be surprise if they did NOT fit. the mirror bodies look identical, and not sure why a new mirror with blindspot would require the remaking of a different body. If anything, it would be financially prudent to tweak as little as possible.. which in this case would seem to be leave the body, tweak the mirror and keep using the same bodies.

I think the bigger question would be how costly for just the mirror or must you buy the entire color matched body/mirror system and/or how hard would it be to access and remove the existing mirror assuming you even can. I could also seem them make this a closed system such that when you break a mirror, you must pop for a whole new body/mirror. that would also be a better part money maker for them.

I agree - just seems a parts dept ought to have some kind of access availble to them as to whether we're talking just the mirrors, or the body/mirror combo. I have to think if it's the body/mirror combo then Ford will want big bucks for the replacement part....not to mention what's involved with replacement labor (if it's possible). I was looking at my 08 SEL's mirrors and they seem pretty "tight" and no easy way to dissemble them...wouldn't want to void any warranty on those babies if I broke something trying....ughh!

Ford Dealer in Baltimore, MD just quoted me $88.87 for the mirror; $228.85 for the whole housing and mirror. $....hmmmm?

This is without installation? Removing the mirror glass can be done providing you know how. You will see the connector for the heating element behind it which would than go onto the new glass.

I would try getting a price from a body shop first.

Ford Dealer in Baltimore, MD just quoted me $88.87 for the mirror; $228.85 for the whole housing and mirror. $....hmmmm?

$88.87 per mirror... just the mirror? that seems within reason.

did you get a part number quoted for drivers side and a part number for passengers side?

the big question is how to access the backside of the glass to pull it off. I would have to inspect it to see if it is able to be separated.

I wonder how they can quote you 228.85 given there are some housings are all black, some painted, some with puddle lamps and some with out... what setup exactly did 228.85 get you? not that it really matters as I personally would never go that route, but just curious. I 'might' consider the $89 route as a little side project if I can crack open those bodies. I have custom made and replaced the puddle lamps in mine with LED lamps, but I do not recall seeing a way to open the actual body.

$88.87 per mirror... just the mirror? that seems within reason.

did you get a part number quoted for drivers side and a part number for passengers side?

the big question is how to access the backside of the glass to pull it off. I would have to inspect it to see if it is able to be separated.

I wonder how they can quote you 228.85 given there are some housings are all black, some painted, some with puddle lamps and some with out... what setup exactly did 228.85 get you? not that it really matters as I personally would never go that route, but just curious. I 'might' consider the $89 route as a little side project if I can crack open those bodies. I have custom made and replaced the puddle lamps in mine with LED lamps, but I do not recall seeing a way to open the actual body.

If it's like my F250 2 screwdrivers 1 on top the other on the bottom (or either side) and just pry it off.

But the instructions should come with the new mirror.

ab