Tire Road Noise

LAJAMA

Hi,

I have about 24,000 miles on my 2007 Edge tires that have been rotated on schedule. The tires are P245/60R 18 Continental Cross Contact LX.

I have noticed that the road noise from the tires seem to get louder with age. Is this because of the type tire or is it because the Edge is an AWD?

What would the best solution to reduce road noise be?

Thank for any help or guidance that you can give me.

Hi,

I have about 24,000 miles on my 2007 Edge tires that have been rotated on schedule. The tires are P245/60R 18 Continental Cross Contact LX.

I have noticed that the road noise from the tires seem to get louder with age. Is this because of the type tire or is it because the Edge is an AWD?

Are you sure that its road noise from the tires and not a bad wheel bearing? If you are sure its the tires, the only way to get rid of the noise is to replace the tires. I have the michelin tires on mine in the same size and really like them.

Hi,

I have a similar problem on my 07. 20,000 miles and I"m just starting to hear a VERY slight thumping from

one of my tires. It's so slight I can't tell exactly which tire is causing it or if it is a tire. Guess I'll have to

wait till it gets worse. Has anyone had a similar noise?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I have 23000 on my 2007 Edge. The Continental tires are getting noisy (road noise).

Plenty of tread left but will probably replace with Michilin Latitudes soon.

• 4 weeks later...
I have 23000 on my 2007 Edge. The Continental tires are getting noisy (road noise).

Plenty of tread left but will probably replace with Michilin Latitudes soon.

I've got 20k+ on my SE with Hankook's, and the tread and road noise is very irritating. It's get worse with miles. Very strange sounds on super smooth blacktop.

Based on what I've read and heard, I don't think it's all tire noise. I think a lot of it is suspension noise. The Edge does not have an insulated ride that many of the vehicles today have. The undercarriage and suspension noise in my Edge is probably the biggest knock I have on the vehicle. It's just plane tacky.

I won't buy another.

• 1 month later...
I've got 20k+ on my SE with Hankook's, and the tread and road noise is very irritating. It's get worse with miles. Very strange sounds on super smooth blacktop.

Based on what I've read and heard, I don't think it's all tire noise. I think a lot of it is suspension noise. The Edge does not have an insulated ride that many of the vehicles today have. The undercarriage and suspension noise in my Edge is probably the biggest knock I have on the vehicle. It's just plane tacky.

I won't buy another.

So, what will you buy? I've had the tire noise appear on my Toyota Sienna at 15K miles, My Hyundai SanteFe at 22K, a Ford Windstar at 30K--- and a friend who has a Cadillac at 23K--- all from a combination of being slightly out of alignment and not rotating every 5K. The tires can be salvaged if they have decent tread. Take them to a dealer who has a tire buffer. They will make them round and remove all the irregularities. Then get an alignment done.

There are brands of tires that are more quiet than others. Check out Tire Rack-- they have a comparison table that will allow you to set up 4 brands for comparison. Lots of customer reviews to assist you in making a decision as to what brand is long lasting and quiet!

http://www.tirerack.com/index_w.jsp

Edited by flyerjmr33

The worst tires we ever had

Bridgestone’s

were on our trade-in BMW X3 noisy, thumping at 24K and getting worse, dumped them for some Yokohama’s at 34.4K

These Pirelli’s are some of the best we’ve had with 28+K miles they seem to be just as quiet as when they were new.

AND it looks like they have 15 to 20K left in them.

We do rotate/balance often (good ol Discount Tire) as we have all tires for the past several yrs.

ab

Hi,

Might be a rear wheel bearing. I have 48K on my 2008 thought it was the tires replaced them and noise was still there. Had right rear bearing and assemly replaced under warranty. Noise is gone. Quiet car again.

• 11 months later...

I've been having the same problems as everyone below and thought the answer might be new tires. So I waited until I used up most of the tread from the original tires and then took it to the shop. They recommended new rubber, so I got new rubber, but still had the same rumble that got louder with each year. Had the right front hub and bearing replaced this week and now my 2007 Edge is as quite as when I first bought it. Also had the same work done on my old 1999 Malibu (right front hub) and it's running much quieter. I think the magic word is "hub".

Hi,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi,

The only solution is new tires. this is a very common problem for Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX, ask your tire dealer and he will tell you that this occurs around 40K and by 55K you cant hardly sit in the car. Whenm you replace the tires you have to also get a four wheel alignment. I suspect that the alignment for the rear tires is easily damaged and as such the tires start to cup, you can actually see the cupping on the rear tires, mine is in the shop now getting two new rear tires for a total of $492 for the tires and alignment, when I dropped the car off there was one sitting there just like mine and the dealer said its very common for those vehicles.