LED Switchback Turn Signal Install

Autolumination.com sells both types. Look for the "CAN-BUS" version on their website to avoid the hyper-flash issue. Personally I prefer using external resistors because you can put them on the turn signal side of the circuit and still have reduced current draw advantage of LEDs for the parking lights.

Hmm, I might be buying a new set of switchbacks to try. I think some of the ones they are selling here could be much brighter than the VLeds I have. I just wish the ones I wanted came in AW instead of only AO.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Sorry to rehash an older thread but I just bought a 2013 Edge limited. I ordered what were supposed to be type 1 switchbacks off eBay but when installed they just stay solid amber even when I try to turn the turn signals on. My question is does anyone know if type 1's are still supposed to work on a 2013 Edge without a resistor? I really don't want to have to splice the cables for a resistor. Or more likely did I just get a junk set off ebay that aren't really type 1s.

Well I was able to return the 1st set I ordered and am waiting for a different set to be delivered from amazon that are clearly Type 1s because there are a couple user reviews with videos that show them blinking Amber-White-Amber during turn signal. Hopefully these do the trick.

• 3 years later...

I have a 2009 Edge with 3 wire rear brake/signal/tail light sockets.

I am trying to replace the factory bulbs with LED's.

I am wearing out the wiring trying to installing the resistors across the proper wires.

What is the right/proper way to connect the resistors?

I have now have 50W 6RJ resistors, installed in line with the flash wire on the front and back.

When I turn the key to ACC the blink is normal. The blink goes to rapid flash when the engine is running.

HELP!

The 6-ohm 50W resistor needs to be installed between the power wire and ground. The power wire is the one for the turn signals - it is unnecessary for running lights. The ground can be any chassis ground or the ground wire from the lamp socket. The resistors do not go inline in any wire. They connect to the wire using a ScotchLock or similar connector that leaves the original wire intact and allows the resistor to "tap into" it (electrically, the resistor is in parallel with the bulb). In other words, do not cut any factory wire to install resistors.

You will generally need a resistor for each location where you install an LED bulb in place of an incandescent bulb in the turn signals (i.e. both sides front and rear if you replace all bulbs).

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 1

Added switchback front LED turn signals to my 2016. Disabled the hyperflash with FORScan instead of adding the resistors. The switchback 7440 LEDs I got came with the 6 ohm resistors, but as soon as I felt how hot they get, I cut them off and re-programmed the BCM instead. It was actually pretty easy to do. Heres what it looks like in the daytime.

20170823 170811

Also disabled the "double honk" feature when you get out and shut the door while its running. The exact BCM changes I made are here:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13407-what-have-you-done-towith-your-edgemkx-today/?p=174384

Edited by roots57

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Guess what, I am back in the States now. Last week I tore out the DDM Tuning HIDs and put halogens back in. I started to have a bunch of problems and needing replacement bulbs more frequently, so I decided to simplify the setup and go back to OEM.

I will have a bunch of my stuff in storage shipped to our house sometime in the next month and I will add the Daytime Running Lights setup put back in. I am excited for that day.

Hope everyone is doing well!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/21/2017 at 8:01 PM, roots57 said:

Added switchback front LED turn signals to my 2016. Disabled the hyperflash with FORScan instead of adding the resistors. The switchback 7440 LEDs I got came with the 6 ohm resistors, but as soon as I felt how hot they get, I cut them off and re-programmed the BCM instead. It was actually pretty easy to do. Heres what it looks like in the daytime.

Where did you buy the switchback LED's ?

On 12/4/2018 at 4:52 AM, 1004ron said:

Where did you buy the switchback LED's ?

I bought these ones from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HYVT2R4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They worked for about 6 months, but then the white started to flicker.  Turns out there wasn't quite enough voltage to them.  There was only about 9 volts going to them which was just under the limit to keep them operating properly.  This seems to be a common problem.  I was going to try fixing it, but decided it wasn't worth the trouble, although I really liked the look.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, roots57 said:

I bought these ones from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HYVT2R4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They worked for about 6 months, but then the white started to flicker.  Turns out there wasn't quite enough voltage to them.  There was only about 9 volts going to them which was just under the limit to keep them operating properly.  This seems to be a common problem.  I was going to try fixing it, but decided it wasn't worth the trouble, although I really liked the look.

Thanks for the feedback, and based on that I'll not bother with switchbacks for my front turn signals.