2014 Ford Edge

exodus

The 2014 Ford Edge will usher in a new generation. The Edge will go exclusively to the turbocharged 4-cylinder V6 engine. One of the biggest criticisms of the Edge was its weight. Well after switching exclusively to the turbocharged 2.3-liter or 2.5-liter 4-cylinder, the heavy V-6 will be gone for good. The Edge will continue to use the EcoBoost 2.0-liter 4-cylinder.The vehicle will use the same CD4 platform that will under-pin the next generation Fusion which will likely get rid of its V6 as well. The current Edge is on a derivative of CD3, which is featured under the current Fusion and MKZ. Through FordInsideNews' 'supplier source', the Edge will maintain its production in the current facility located in Oakville, Ontario, Canada.The Edge has already gone through a major overhaul this past year, getting a new MyFord Touch system, new sheetmetal, and an EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine.The changes are expected to appear on the redesigned 2014 Edge which should arrive in dealerships by late 2013.

NO MORE V-6 ARE YOU KIDDING ME? AT LEAST GIVE US THE 3.5L ECOBOOST.

Edited by exodus
  • Like 1

geez, I'm a little bummed by the news that the '14 will be redesigned... especially since i just signed a 3-year lease and i always love the latest and greatest... this also means that when my current edge lease is up, i'll be just on the cusp of (but not yet in time for) another redesign

That's actually quite an old article from FIN. Fingers crossed they have a change of heart. If they don't, I won't be interested in the next generation model. Here's betting the next gen Lincoln MKX will still feature a V6.

New four bangers are quite powerful but still noisy, coarse and thrashy in my opinion.

• Like 1

With the 2013 Lincoln MKZ is coming with an available 3.7 liter V6 you can be all but assured that the MKX will be using a non-weezey engine.

While I can see the Edge using a variant of an existing turbo I4, I'd think it would be a bad idea to equip it with the same engine from the 2013 Ford Escape (2.0 turbo I4), at least in high trim levels. Perhaps a larger displacement version of that engine is in store.

The 2014 Ford Edge will usher in a new generation. The Edge will go exclusively to the turbocharged 4-cylinder V6 engine. One of the biggest criticisms of the Edge was its weight. Well after switching exclusively to the turbocharged 2.3-liter or 2.5-liter 4-cylinder, the heavy V-6 will be gone for good. The Edge will continue to use the EcoBoost 2.0-liter 4-cylinder.The vehicle will use the same CD4 platform that will under-pin the next generation Fusion which will likely get rid of its V6 as well. The current Edge is on a derivative of CD3, which is featured under the current Fusion and MKZ. Through FordInsideNews' 'supplier source', the Edge will maintain its production in the current facility located in Oakville, Ontario, Canada.The Edge has already gone through a major overhaul this past year, getting a new MyFord Touch system, new sheetmetal, and an EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine.The changes are expected to appear on the redesigned 2014 Edge which should arrive in dealerships by late 2013.

NO MORE V-6 ARE YOU KIDDING ME? AT LEAST GIVE US THE 3.5L ECOBOOST.

"The Edge will go exclusively to the turbocharged 4-cylinder V6 engine"........... HUH? A 4 cylinder v6? Tell me I am missing something here.

Ford is attempting to revive Lincoln by forcing individuals who would otherwise purchase higher-end Fords to instead purchase a Lincoln. Withholding the most powerful engines from the associated Ford model is a side effect of this new strategy.

I think you're correct. There is a danger in that for Ford, though... a nicely equipped MKX (here in Canada) is at least $60K compared to my Edge at $47K so if I have to go that far upmarket just to get a powerful, smooth V6 I am certainly going to cross-shop against other competitors like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Cadillac, etc. and potentially leave the Ford brand.

"The Edge will go exclusively to the turbocharged 4-cylinder V6 engine"........... HUH? A 4 cylinder v6? Tell me I am missing something here.

Why bloat the thread by posting about semantics? It's an obvious typo, right?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that's not being talked about here is that the 2.5l 4cyl ecoboost motor thats in R&D is supposed to produce upwards of 330hp. And still net you 30+ mpg

If they make that, I'm all over it.

Why are people surprised that they are not offering a 6 cylinder version? Every maker worth it's salt is moving towards direct injection turbo charged engines with smaller displacement. Back in the day, there was no "replacement for displacement"... nowadays we call it BOOST!

Ford will probably put in the twin scroll turbo technology refined in the Taurus SHO. Direct injection itself should add about 15% efficiency.

2.5L would be plenty. Could be tuned to 400 HP without much effort.

Why are people surprised that they are not offering a 6 cylinder version? Every maker worth it's salt is moving towards direct injection turbo charged engines with smaller displacement.

I think choice is key. They could still position a super-efficient turbo-4 as the mainstream engine offering while providing a V6 for those who prefer it.

Personally I (and I'm sure I'm not alone) don't care if they make an 800 hp four cylinder... until they can massage out the coarseness and high RPM whine there will be a certain portion of the market that will still not buy in.

Either way, I hope the next gen Edge goes on a serious diet.

• 3 weeks later...

My friends shop is still discussing how the Edge Sport drivetrain might be able to handle the mustang 3.7 l turbo kit that boosts HP by 175. Last we heard, someone from FoMoCo said the AWD could take the power, Although the frame and engine might need additional bracing.

I have a client with a custom shop who has been trying to talk me into putting on a universal under-body in line turbo that would prob do 75-100 hp but the cost installed would be nearly $4k. That's just too much for a universal kit in my opinion. What does something like that Mustang kit run? Any idea?

On the same note, if SCT would get off their asses and get their software updated we could get the custom tunes and get rid of that damn speed limiter. I'm betting a custom tune with a high flow exhaust and intake would really help make the Edge more competitive in the acceleration area.

I have the custom exhaust and the open intake but damn SCT is taking their SWEET freaking time!!! It's been out since 2010 for heaven's sake!

I have a client with a custom shop who has been trying to talk me into putting on a universal under-body in line turbo that would prob do 75-100 hp but the cost installed would be nearly $4k. That's just too much for a universal kit in my opinion. What does something like that Mustang kit run? Any idea?

On the same note, if SCT would get off their asses and get their software updated we could get the custom tunes and get rid of that damn speed limiter. I'm betting a custom tune with a high flow exhaust and intake would really help make the Edge more competitive in the acceleration area.

I have the custom exhaust and the open intake but damn SCT is taking their SWEET freaking time!!! It's been out since 2010 for heaven's sake!

i'd send SCT an email, or the rep that was on this forum a private message. I sent him one with my computer code and he said the SCT would work with mine but only a custom tune.

Last we heard, someone from FoMoCo said the AWD could take the power

Not to take this thread further off track, but consider this: the new Explorer Sport with the Ecoboost has a liquid cooling system on its PTO clutch due to the extra power. I'd want to be pretty sure the existing system in the Edge could handle the extra juice.

In other news, a new article was posted on Ford Inside News in the last couple of days that mentioned work on the new Edge/MKX/something-Max was underway and confirmed again there would be no V6 in the Edge. Different story for the Lincoln though which is at least a ray of hope.

I think I'll wait until more details emerge on the new models and decide whether to wait for the '14 or just grab a '13 MKX.