2012 SEL - Dead Battery!

doug3940

Well it could be intermittent, but if it goes dead in just 2 days that's not exactly intermittent.

Tell them to check the park detect switch in the shifter and the BCM - those are the most likely culprits according to the techs. They'll need to keep it for a few days.

And I'm flattered but I don't think my opinion carries much weight with service managers.

Have exact same issue as many others have described. Car drains battery after shutting it off. Clicking sounds and flashing lights. Starts with jump, but never know when it will be dead again. 15k miles and battery is not the problem. What do I tell the Ford dealer when I take it in? I see too many have been sent on their way with a new battery or told that nothing could be found wrong.

Welcome to the neighborhood, larrynuyen!

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. I’ll be happy to look into this further. Have you consider seeking a second opinion from another Ford Dealer?

In the meantime, let me get this escalated. Please private message your full name, VIN, preferred dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist. :)

I am sure FordService (Tricia) can rescue you from these doldrums. How she sees your post soon! You can pm her directly once you have 5 posts (create 3 test posts in the Test Forum)

WWWPerfA_ZN0W,

Thanks for the heads-up, and I’ll see what I can do! :victory:

I am having the same issues with the battery in my 2012 Ford Edge. I walk out to my car in the morning on my way to work and it's dead inside. Just a clicking noise and will not start. Get it jumped from a neighbor and drive to work and it is fine for 2 days then it happens again. Got a new battery and once again lasted about 2 days. It is at a dealership right now and once again I have to pay for the battery to get tested as well as the alternator.. Which I have had tested before and it passed but "it's part of the package" and I'm stuck with having to pay for this again and again. Very frustrating as I have to commute to work and have two small children and it's just not safe for me at my office in the back parking lot with a dead battery at night. I don't understand why I have to keep paying for all these checks that the dealership and I both know will pass because something else is draining the battery.. I'm very afraid that I have purchased a lemon! Please help me FORD! I want to like this car.

Welcome to the community, nrayfield! :dance:

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative.

Since you are in Canada, let’s get you connected with my FordServiceCA colleagues. Please private message them your odometer reading, and they’ll be happy to look into available options to assist!

Tricia

Got the Edge back tonight from the second attempt for the fix. Thanks to Tricia at Ford who helped the dealership find out that a technical bulletin had been issued. They put in a "CT4Z 7210 KC: Gear Shift Lever," because the gear shift lever sometimes did not recognize that the car was in park and off, causing a draw on the battery. Got a new battery on the first trip in and just lucky that it was all covered under warranty. They even supplied a loaner Ford Focus for the 2 days they needed the car the second time. Hopefully, this will solve the issue. To those of you who may have had to pay for the fix for this problem, I would tell you to save the receipts because if a recall occurs, you can be reimbursed for your expense.

Edited by larrynuyen

• 1 month later...

Help! 2012 Edge SEL. 38k miles. I get message that says "battery low start ignition or remove key" The key is in my hands.1st time I got this message the car started the next time it did not. Read the forum, bit the bullet and bought a new battery. Lasted a week b4 I got the message again. Took car to battery shop and they said battery is good. Put on charger, called dealer. Dealer couldn't find anything. One month later, got the message again. Put charger on battery and it showed battery was almost drained. Car at dealership again. I bought this as a used certified vehicle. There must be a fix for this that the Ford dealer is missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Frustrated in Cedar Rapids

A fusible link maybe? I have seen those on other Ford vehicles. Anyway, whoever the vehicle is taken to for service, they should perform an amp draw with everything off, nothing plugged into a power point, very simple to do. If there IS an amp draw, start narrowing down the suspects one by one.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Thanks for the help. Bill Colwell Ford said in order to look up the vehicle and what they did to repair it they needed a VIN or last name so I hit a dead end there. Lynch has done an amp draw test with and without load and everything checks out fine. They put a gear shift lever in but I don't have high hopes that's going to fix the issue.. When I mentioned the fuseable link they seemed like they didn't know what I meant...

Lynch Ford has been good about giving me a loaner. This is second time to them to fix the problem. I'd rather have the car I bought, fixed...

Edited by rickmc

Thanks for the help. Bill Colwell Ford said in order to look up the vehicle and what they did to repair it they needed a VIN or last name so I hit a dead end there. Lynch has done an amp draw test with and without load and everything checks out fine. They put a gear shift lever in but I don't have high hopes that's going to fix the issue.. When I mentioned the fuseable link they seemed like they didn't know what I meant...

Lynch Ford has been good about giving me a loaner. This is second time to them to fix the problem. I'd rather have the car I bought, fixed...

Hi rickmc,

Any updates on the battery? Please let me know, so I can see how to best assist.

Meagan

2011+ Edge powertrains supposedly have a "Smart Charging" feature where the PCM controls alternator output. Can't really find any proper documentation on this, but here are a few bulletins for other/older models (below). Harness check or alternator replacement are possible solutions if all the other known issues for the Edge re: battery drain are checked & found not to be the case.

19773 2005-2007 FREESTYLE/FIVE HUNDRED/MONTEGO - HARD TO DIAGNOSE MIL ON/INTERMITTENT TELLTALES AND/OR CHARGING SYSTEM LIGHT
SOME 2005-2007 FREESTYLE/FIVE HUNDRED/MONTEGO VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A HARD TO DIAGNOSE MIL ON, INTERMITTENT TELLTALES, OR INTERMITTENT CHARGING SYSTEM LIGHT. INSPECT THE MAIN ENGINE HARNESS TO PCM (12B637 - ENGINEERING / 12A581 - SERVICE) FOR POSSIBLE CONTACT WITH THE A/C LINES ON THE PASSENGER-SIDE REAR AREA OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. IF CONTACT IS FOUND, INSPECT THE HARNESS FOR A RUB THROUGH CONDITION. IF A RUB THROUGH IS FOUND, REPAIR AS NECESSARY. IF NO RUB THROUGH IS FOUND REPOSITION HARNESS AWAY FROM THE A/C LINES AND PROCEED WITH NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 05/23/2007

19593 2004-2008 MULTIPLE VEHICLES - PCM CONTROLLED CHARGING SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS
FOR VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 'SMART CHARGE' SYSTEM, AN IDS SMART CHARGING SYSTEM TEST HAS BEEN DEVELOPED AND RELEASED FOR IDS. THIS NEW TEST CAN BE USEFUL WHEN DIAGNOSING CHARGING SYSTEM RELATED ISSUES ON CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH PCM CONTROLLED ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR SYSTEMS. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING THIS TEST IS AVAILABLE ON THE 'TECH TIME PLUS' LINK ON THE 'PTS WEBSITE'. THE IDS SMART CHARGING SYSTEM TEST IS AVAILABLE UNDER THE 'TOOLBOX' TAB BY SELECTING 'ELECTRICAL' AND THE 'CHARGING SYSTEM TEST'. THIS TEST IS USEFUL BY HELPING TO DIAGNOSE FAULTS, DISPLAY DTC'S, ANALYZE ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR OUTPUT AND CHECK FOR FAULTY ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR DIODES.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 03/14/2007

19427 2005-2007 FREESTYLE/FIVE HUNDRED/MONTEGO - BATTERY LIGHT ILLUMINATED
SOME 2005-2007 FREESTYLE, FIVE HUNDRED, AND MONTEGO
VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT INTERMITTENT BATTERY LAMP, HIGH VOLTAGE AND/OR DTCS P0622, B1317. USE ONLINE WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 414-00 THAT CONTAINS UPDATED SYSTEM DESCRIPTION AND DIAGNOSTICS. INSPECT FOR WIRE HARNESS CHAFFING CONDITION ON BRACKET MOUNTED TO CYLINDER HEAD HOLDING POWER STEERING LINE (JUST TO LEFT OF C139). REPAIR AS NECESSARY.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 10/12/2006

May be able to have it turned off through IDS, have heard mention of that in an Aussie forum.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 1 month later...

While I am not experiencing the same kinds of issues, I am noticing something related. When I took my Edge in for its last oil change, I was told that the battery may be going out. The tech that worked on it noticed a significant drop in amperage (New: 800+, Now: 750). Given that I live in an extreme climate (We are currently forecast for 110+ degree temps for the next week or longer), I know that battery changes are a "routine" part of maintenance where I live (e.g. My 2008 had two Optima Yellow Top Batteries within two years. My 2011 has scored one battery replacement since last year). I am going to head to the store that I bought the battery from to change it.

For the record, I have a battery from O'Reilly Auto Parts that has a five year warranty (850 CCA). Where I'm at, you'll need it....seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

2012 edge limited 34,000 miles here. Great car!

Have had intermittent problem with driver door closed switch not working this winter. It was COLD!

Tried lubricating door switch using YouTube video. Made it a little better. Door switch now registers closed if I slam it.

Last month had dead battery.

I first tried jumping and short (3-4 hour) charge sessions but battery went dead again.

Then I read where batteries need to charge 24 or more hours to get full charge. So did a long ( 18 hour) overnight charge and haven't had dead battery for several weeks.

Just sayin that the complicated electronics need fully charged battery to run or quirky stuff happens.

It takes a long time to fully charge battery.

A longer charging time fixed my battery (for now).

Me, I'm making a date with dealer to fix door switch and replace battery which will get a deep charge.

Dave

• Like 1

I think you need to keep the fluid level topped off and do a periodic deep charge in these new vehicles. I bought a tester and a C-tek charger to do just that.

BTW - it said my 2.5 yr old Fusion needed a charge even though it was working just fine.

Edited by akirby

• 6 months later...

Same issue here--keys out of ignition--car in park, etc, etc, etc. Hours/days after car parked in garage--go to garage for something and notice the display is on. Slow to turnover on starts, with battery replaced just over a year ago under warranty. 'Couldn't find anything wrong'. Today an oil change at my local Goodyear shop. "Looks like the battery is going south." This seems to be such a prevalent problem with the 2012 Edge. What does it take to get a TSB out to the dealers to check for the park switch, bms, etc issues tgat seem to be draining the batteries. Multiple trips to the dealer that accomplish nothing is not good service. I'll be biting the bullet and getting a new battery, but not one from the Ford dealer this time. My Goodyear guy is much more accommodating--smaller, trusted shop.

• Like 1