:Door Ajar" warning on at all times

Torontoguy

• 2 weeks later...

My door ajar issue is fixed via TSB 14-0011....seat track is in at the dealership and I will be returning on 4/7 to have it replaced....so far so good....car tracks a LOT better after the alignment, but when she is back in on monday, I will have them put the steering wheel back to a straight position....it is off centered after alignment....

• 4 weeks later...

Would love to know how they fixed w/out replacement, glad the TSB has worked for you!

TSB 14-0083 has replaced 14-0011. They plug the electrical connector from the door latch into a "special tool" and then they flip the door latch back and forth for a while. I guess the special tool applies a current to the misbehaving switch contacts. Perhaps that helps knock off the oxidation or whatever is preventing the switch from working properly. This is at best a temporary fix -- lasted about a week on my 2012 Edge. In any case, it misses the point. The problem almost always is with the driver side door, which is the one that gets used the most. If there were sufficient contact pressure then this switch should be LESS susceptible to oxidation, dirt, whatever because the contacts would be wiping back and forth and keeping themselves clean. My suspicion is the contacts are of low quality and lack the necessary springiness to retain proper contact pressure. In that case, the more the switch is used the quicker it fails. A better way to deal with this, in my opinion, would be for Ford to give their technicians a spray can of electronic contact cleaner fitted out with a specially shaped straw nozzle to pass through one of the door latch mounting holes and locate the point inside where the switch contacts are situated. An even better solution would be to use a higher quality switch to begin with.

• Like 1

Just got my latch replaced. Kept my car 2 days just to fix! Had to pay the $100 deductible on the Esp but wish there was a recall for it as it seems to be common. 1 day after getting the car back it now "clunks" at low speed. Now I've just read there's a Tsb out for that. Back it goes in again. This car

is really turning into one problem after another.

Sometimes I think dealers just don't realize how proactively owners are seeking answers online. I do wish the information that members find out at their own time & expense would be propagated through Ford & their dealerships to make successful servicing and customer satisfaction that much more of a common occurrence. I do realize that proper testing is hard to come by in the real world, but at least a list of probable alternative solutions could be approved for dealership use.

• 2 weeks later...

5/18/14 Helps to date your post. I have 36,184 miles when my "door ajar" warning came on. Tried everything short of removing the door latch myself. WD 40, high pressure air, slamming the door, etc. My warranty was out at 36,000 so had to pay to have it replaced. Works fine now. Dealer said to bring it back if it went bad again also this was happening to many, many Edges. No recall however. Time to call the home office?

DocK in Montana

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

See this white arm? That's the mechanism that gets pushed up when you close the door. That works fine going up ams down but the actual circuit seems to be the culprit. I can push it up and down with a pen and it glides smoothly. When you pushed it all the way up, you hear a click in the center console. Meaning it is sending the signal that the door is closed. When it gives the ajar warning, you can push the arm up and you wrong hear click in the center console. Once I spray it with the cleaner, then I get the click. I manually pushed the latch with my finger to simulate the door locked, that's why you see the white arm. If you try this, remember to pull the door handle to unlock the mechanism when you shut the door. . Otherwise when you close the door, it will bang hard. Also. . This leads me to believe it's not a mechanical issue.

here is the post. ... follow it. Almost 1 year and not 1 problem ever since. ,forget the stealership! They are known to rape your wallet!

For anyone in Canada I just had my wife's 2011 door ajar fixed at our local independent dealer as her edge is out of warranty. The replacement part was $25.00 and the total cost for the repair was

$163.90 and took him just over an hour and a half. He said when he ordered the part from the warehouse that the price dropped big time recently due in part to the sheer number of these parts that were being

ordered as i was originally quoted over $125 for the part. Here truck is now back functioning normally thank god as it was annoying as hell!

• Like 1

Sorry, I had the work done at Rogers Auto Tech and we are 2 hours north of North Bay (Ontario) but if you have an Auto Tech center (chain i believe) in your area i am pretty sure they all order from the same group of warehouse's. Just make sure you give him your VIN so he can ensure they have the right part as the numbers are different by year of vehicle.

Edited by Rottie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

2013 Limited Door Ajar. Had intermittent problem and took it in under warranty at 35,500 miles. They did not fix it. 38,900 miles now. Problem got to be every time I closed the door. I sprayed with electrical cleaner, and the dry spray for a couple weeks and no go. I filled out an online complaint with Ford and they called me in a day or two. The nice lady gave me a file number and told me to take it to the dealer for them to look at again. They tried to repair the part but ended up replacing it under warranty. The service writer said they are having a bunch of problems with this part. Hope you all are as lucky as I was. They even washed the car!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks- they replaced my switch at the dealer when the car was 15 months old- now that it is 36 months old the problem (door ajar light, unlocking doors, dome lights stay on on for 10 minutes after turning off the car) has reoccurred! Plus my NAV system is wrong as to my location most of the time and I have the cracked my ford touch screen that Ford says I damaged and therfore I can not set the clock, reset radio stations or cut on the drivers heated seat. There are ways to speak or use other buttons for all the other functions- and yeah I can not sync a phone because the last screen meassage is the OK " button" which doesn't work. What a piece of junk and useless warrenty- and Ford does not care because they are making a killing in Europe! I bought a Ford becaue they did not take a government bailout- I think I'll take a chance on the GM ignition switches!

• 4 weeks later...

Just had the "electronic" pin cleaning done on my 2013 at the dealer to hopefully resolve the issue for a while at least.

What an annoying setup of idiot alarms they have daisy chained for this event.

Would someone really put their edge in park, and shut the motor off if they know the door is actually latched. LOL

God help us if we can't get beyond this type of "convenience" or leave safety up to a CPU.

At least it is my wife's vehicle, I would have lost my cool long before I drove it that way much. :angry22:

Edited by Longbowman

I'm having this problem now. At first it just happened once in a while but now it's much more frequent. I was able to successfully close the close and lock the door last night but then the door became ajar all by itself and the alarm went off at 1:30am. I spent another 45 minutes out there trying to get the door to successfully closed. I read a little of this post when I first started having the problem but just stopped at the first couple pages. I wish I wasn't lazy at that time and had read about trying the key. :gaah: . It sure would have helped me out this morning.

I didn't realize so many people were having this problem. I have an extended warranty so I'm getting a appointment to have the dealership look at it. While I'm there I might as well have them lubricate my vista roof rails. Thanks for the info.