:Door Ajar" warning on at all times

Torontoguy

Ford has recalled the latches but only for the POLICE versions guess the rest of you are out of luck.

I had the door ajar issue as well with my 2011 Edge. They told me they replaced the latch. I had to take it back as when they put it together the lock was jamming. Working now. Seeing this post, it seems to be a common problem, perhaps they need a recall to fix the issues.

I called Ford Customer Relations at 1-800-392-3673 and they gave me a code to supply my dealer to cover my deductibe of $99. that my EXP plan did not cover on the door ajar sensor switch. Service was excellent. Highly recommend calling them.. Service was performed this morning at our local dealership and a free breakfast was included. 2011 Ford Edge Limited, purchased in 2010. 30k miles. So far its working as it should. One scary thing when this switch fails is your doors unlock and if you lock in the parking lot and get a double beep, your doors are not locked.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We have had issues for about a month with our driver door a jar light coming on. We have had to close door multiple times, slamming it at some points, to get the light to go off. Took the 2011 Ford Edge into shop today and they have to replace the door latch. Of course not covered under warranty (or extended warranty) and going to be about $400 to replace. I know there is not a current recall but I called the Ford Customer Service and they state that they need to know about all instances for a recall to happen. So if you havent......call the Ford Customer Service line. 1-800-392-3673.

Edited by tessakam
  • Like 1

Please help!! I'm not sure if this is related, but I've been having the door ajar warning issue for months until I finally sprayed it with electrial cleaner and 90% of the time it works, when it doesn't, I just reopen and shut the door once and it's gone. BUTTTT, I noticed the last two weeks my car alarm will start randomly going off...for literally no reason at all. I didn't think much of it, but last night, and on and off ALL night until I finally got my ass out of bed to unlock the car door (I'm thinking that did the trick or it was coincidence) my car alarm was going off. Is there a chance this is related? Does the car alarm go off because even though the doors are locked, for some reason, the car senses the door is trying to be opened when that door ajar alarm starts acting up? My neighbor called me at 3am saying someone must be trying to get in my car, so it's really getting annoying. Can anyone chime in on this with some advice? It'd be greatly appreciated. THANKS.

Red.... you might be unlucky. There's been a few who have had the ahem go off due to this latch issue . It is related. It happened to me once. But once only . Once it gets to that stage, no choice but to have it replaced. Have you tried spraying a WHOLE can of electrical cleaner? Try that. That's what works for me. If i just squirt ut a few times, it don't help. But if i spray it threw all angles, it fixes mibes for a few weeks.

Red, my alarm started going off in the middle of the night too. The car alarm thinks the door opens. I couldn't stand it and didn't have a warranty to take to the dealer so I took the door apart to find out what was happening and fixed it. It been 2 years and I haven't had a problem since.

Ā 

I made the original post to use the electric cleaner in May 2013. I wouldn't bother spraying the key hole, its hardly connected by sensor. Its a mess to take the mechanism apart to spray the sensor, but like I said, I haven't had a problem again in 2 years. I quick alternative is to spray through a particular screw hole noted in my earlier post, but I don't know for sure if that works, it seemed like it would if you got a straw to go deep into the mechanism, using electric spray cleaner not a greasy lubricant.

Red, my alarm started going off in the middle of the night too. The car alarm thinks the door opens. I couldn't stand it and didn't have a warranty to take to the dealer so I took the door apart to find out what was happening and fixed it. It been 2 years and I haven't had a problem since.

Ā 

I made the original post to use the electric cleaner in May 2013. I wouldn't bother spraying the key hole, its hardly connected by sensor. Its a mess to take the mechanism apart to spray the sensor, but like I said, I haven't had a problem again in 2 years. I quick alternative is to spray through a particular screw hole noted in my earlier post, but I don't know for sure if that works, it seemed like it would if you got a straw to go deep into the mechanism, using electric spray cleaner not a greasy lubricant.

which screw? Thxs for figuring out using electrical cleaner btw! Also. .. maybe do a tutorialbin removing the latch? Some of us woyld be so happy to save 400$!

Thank you! At least I know I'm not going crazy and my car is about to fall apart. I called Ford Customer Service yesterday and let them know how ridiculous this is getting. I work in an urban area in an emergency room and on an ambulance....when I work second shift and get out in the dark of night, the first thing I used to do is lock my car door. Well, since this has started happening, I can't lock it with the sensor still going off...it pops up all my locks, which makes it easy for anyone to slide in any door if they wanted...so I used that as a real pushing point with Ford, didn't seem to matter though.

Ā 

I'll try spraying the entire rest of the can in there today, and maybe one of my mechanic friends can figure out what to do. My extended warranty is expired, but I do have another one with Zurich...however they are saying this isn't covered, and taking the door apart at Ford will cost me an arm and a leg. Ugh. I'll take a look at those pics. So glad to have this forum otherwise I'd be spending money left and right. This has been my only Ford problem ever...hoping it's my last problem because I really do love this car.

Thank you! At least I know I'm not going crazy and my car is about to fall apart. I called Ford Customer Service yesterday and let them know how ridiculous this is getting. I work in an urban area in an emergency room and on an ambulance....when I work second shift and get out in the dark of night, the first thing I used to do is lock my car door. Well, since this has started happening, I can't lock it with the sensor still going off...it pops up all my locks, which makes it easy for anyone to slide in any door if they wanted...so I used that as a real pushing point with Ford, didn't seem to matter though.

Ā 

I'll try spraying the entire rest of the can in there today, and maybe one of my mechanic friends can figure out what to do. My extended warranty is expired, but I do have another one with Zurich...however they are saying this isn't covered, and taking the door apart at Ford will cost me an arm and a leg. Ugh. I'll take a look at those pics. So glad to have this forum otherwise I'd be spending money left and right. This has been my only Ford problem ever...hoping it's my last problem because I really do love this car.

yup... you have the worst of everyone i come across worth this issue. Alarm going off and doors unlocking. Im sure you are also experiencing the dome light turning on and off randomly during thenight as well. Thats what mines does. All through the night it cones on and off. Draining the battery. Luckily it had never drained it ccompletely. Looks like you are being forced to fix it asap. And yes, you have to spray the whole can. Don't go cheap with it, just spray the death out of it.

Ok... this is how i exactly spray the latch. Get the straw to bend upwards so the can is somewhat straight so it pushes the liquid and not air. This has worked great for me. But now that i know the bolt trick, ill attempt it next time the sensor sticks again. and get the tip all the way inside. Wiggle it so it sprays everywhere .

post-26104-0-51861000-1430337358_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2011edgese

Alright I sprayed the crap out of the lock (without taking the door apart) and got the straw all up in there, LOL. I'll check back with you guys in a few days to see if it's worked. Oh the struggles...thanks everyone :)

if you sprayed it well and in the right spots , you should see a difference.