:Door Ajar" warning on at all times

Torontoguy

Ok so no alarm going off after I sprayed, but that could be just coincidence. However now my door ajar sensor is back, but not as bad as it originally was before ever spraying. Too much spray? I can't win. Saw the recall...I was SO hoping it was for an 11 Edge door sensor.

Edited by Red2149

Ok so no alarm going off after I sprayed, but that could be just coincidence. However now my door ajar sensor is back, but not as bad as it originally was before ever spraying. Too much spray? I can't win. Saw the recall...I was SO hoping it was for an 11 Edge door sensor.

that's how it is. It will get better with time. Give it 3 days and it gets better. That's what happens to me. I spray and the light comes back the next. Then the next day is gone. Status gone for a while. The spray did something to your alarm, not a coincidence. And no, i don't think you can spray to much. I always have to spray almost the whole can. Remember. .. some of the fluid needs to hit the contact that is falling, and spraying blindly causes most of the fluid to get wasted . That's why you have to spray a ton.

Edited by 2011edgese

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 2011 Edge with 17k miles on it doing the same thing. I took it in while under warranty, they "fixed" it long enough for it to go out of warranty now they want $350 to fix it. NO!!!! I saw a YouTube someone posted, will try that. I called Ford to report, hopefully they'll recall as this is a serious safety issue, driving with the dome light on at night can't be safe and going 70 mph down the freeway with the door unlocked.....

Yea, I'm done with Ford. Years of driving a Honda, should have stuck with that.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2011 Edge just hit 51k and I just started getting this issue. Tried the contact cleaner trick a few times (usually spray the whole can up into the latch). It usually works great for a week or two then slowly over a few weeks goes back to where it thinks its ajar all the time...don't really want to take apart the door but it might come to that because I think paying 300-400 bucks to fix a problem that everyone is obviously having is ridiculous.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest TSB update:

Ā 

TSB 15-0013 (supersedes TSB 14-0224)

DOOR AJAR LAMP REMAINS ILLUMINATED WITH DOORS CLOSED

Publication Date: February 17, 2015

FORD: 2011-2013 Edge; 2013 Flex; 2013-2014 Explorer
LINCOLN: 2011-2013 MKX; 2013 MKT

This article supersedes TSB 14-0224 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2013 Edge, MKX, 2013 Flex and MKT vehicles built on or before 7/15/2013 and 2013-2014 Explorer vehicles built on or before 8/15/2013 may exhibit a door ajar lamp illuminated with all doors closed.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1.Use the Ford Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) service tool or equivalent to identify the suspect door.
a.On Edge and MKX vehicles remove the affected door latch. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-14.
b.On Explorer, Flex and MKT vehicles remove the door trim panel from the door with the affected door latch. Refer to WSM, Section 501-05.
2.Verify the latch is in the open position, connect Essential Special Service Tool (ESST) to the door latch electrical connector.
a.If the tool is left connected to the latch in a closed position, the tool will thermally shut down after approximately two (2) minutes and take ten (10) minutes to recover.
b.For US dealers both the original ESST 501-408 and the new ESST 501-408A are acceptable for this procedure. Canadian dealers use ESST 501-408A.
3.Connect the ESST to the vehicleā€™s 12-volt power supply.
4.Start the engine.
5.Turn the ESST on.
a.A green light verifies the tool is powered on.
6.Actuate the door latch from the open to the closed position, then back to the open position with a screwdriver or similar tool.
a.Two (2) clicks will confirm complete actuation.
7.Repeat step six, twenty (20) times.
a.The latch must be cycled in this manner to make sure all electrical contacts are cleaned effectively to prevent a repeat repair.
8.Make sure the latch is left in the open position.
a.On Edge and MKX vehicles reinstall the cycled door latch. Refer to WSM, Section 501-14.
b.On Explorer, Flex and MKT vehicles reinstall the door trim panel. Refer to WSM, Section 501-05.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

W711513-S300 Push Pin (2 Req per Door)
W711521-S300 Push Pin (3 Req per Door)

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

150013A 2011-2013 Edge/MKX: Remove The Door Latch On One (1) Front Door And Cycle The Latch Following The Service Procedure (Can Be Claimed With Operations C Or D) (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 1.5 Hrs.
150013A 2013 MKT/Flex/Explorer: Remove The Door Panel On One (1) Front Door And Cycle The Latch Following The Service Procedure (Can Be Claimed With Operations C Or D) (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.6 Hr.
150013B 2013-2014 Explorer: Remove The Door Panel On Both (2) Front Doors And Cycle The Latch Following The Service Procedure (Can Be Claimed With Operations C Or D) (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.9 Hr.
150013B 2011-2013 Edge/MKX: Remove The Door Latch On Both (2) Front Doors And Cycle The Latch Following The Service Procedure (Can Be Claimed With Operations C Or D) (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 2.7 Hrs.
150013B 2013 MKT/Flex: Remove The Door Panel On Both (2) Front Doors And Cycle The Latch Following The Service Procedure (Can Be Claimed With Operations C Or D) (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 1.1 Hrs.
150013C 2011-2013 Edge/MKX: Remove The Door Latch On One (1) Rear Door And Cycle The Latch Following The Service Procedure (Can Be Claimed With Operations A Or B] (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 1.3 Hrs.
150013C 2013 MKT/Flex/Explorer: Remove The Door Panel On One (1) Rear Door And Cycle The Latch Following The Service Procedure (Can Be Claimed With Operations A Or B] (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.6 Hr.
150013D 2013-2014 Explorer: Remove The Door Panel On Both (2) Rear Doors And Cycle The Latch Following The Service Procedure (Can Be Claimed With Operations A Or B] (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.9 Hr.
150013D 2011-2013 Edge/MKX: Remove The Door Latch On Both (2) Rear Doors And Cycle The Latch Following The Service Procedure (Can Be Claimed With Operations A Or B] (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 2.2 Hrs.
150013D 2013 MKT/Flex: Remove The Door Panel On Both (2) Rear Doors And Cycle The Latch Following The Service Procedure (Can Be Claimed With Operations A Or B] (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 1.0 Hrs.

WARRANTY STATUS

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE

7821813 42

Ok so months back I went to the Ford dealership I go to...the fix that Ford had for this was literally to take a pen or some object that would fit, stick it in the latch and push it back and forth 20 times to "clean" out the crap in there. Um, CMON now...doesn't work for sh*t! Sorry, I'm starting to get beyond fed up with this. Had a few months of no issues, then it came back, sprayed it, got worse, now it's getting a little better again. But, my car alarm went off again in the middle of the night last night. Is this fix something different than what the guy did for me? He never removed the door latch. Oh, and now my bluetooth and my sync aren't working...loving Ford so much right now.

after playing around with an electronic cleaner, i have found that the door works when the electronic solution is moist and is making contact, and doesnt work after it dries out. this leads me to believe that there is a loss in an electrical circut in some form or other, how i dont know. but i do believe that a physical replacement such as a new door latch is costly and will repeat itself in a few years. i think that the poster who mentioned a need for a ground as a fix to complete the electrical circuit hit the nail on the head so to speak. does anyone know how to set this up and can help me go about this? i would greatly appreciate it

Ok so months back I went to the Ford dealership I go to...the fix that Ford had for this was literally to take a pen or some object that would fit, stick it in the latch and push it back and forth 20 times to "clean" out the crap in there. Um, CMON now...doesn't work for sh*t! Sorry, I'm starting to get beyond fed up with this. Had a few months of no issues, then it came back, sprayed it, got worse, now it's getting a little better again. But, my car alarm went off again in the middle of the night last night. Is this fix something different than what the guy did for me? He never removed the door latch. Oh, and now my bluetooth and my sync aren't working...loving Ford so much right now.

Ā 

Red2149,

Ā 

I responded to your post here: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/18357-bluetooth-audio/?p=134153 Check it out.

Ā 

Shaay

• 2 weeks later...

My Edge Limited was 4 years (42,000 miles) old when this happened. For a short time slamming the door worked and also spraying the lock to free the switch worked. I looked into the changing the lock but at $500+ dealer repair, I put it off for a month or so. The major problem with the Door Ajar light on, was you could not lock all the doors unless you pushed each manual lock button down. I filed a complaint with the National Traffic Safety Board, since without the auto lock you were subject to a Car Jacking!! I have heard nothing from them or any recall. I did find that if you roll down the window and stick you hand out with the key fob and press lock, it will lock the all the doors! It will not do the same inside the car by design, so you don't lock yourself out. I finally gave up and paid $430 to change out the lock-set with switch at a trusted local repair shop. I kept the part for analysis.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Posted this elsewhere today:

Ā 

I have now joined the club with this issue. 2011 Limited. Started at around 60k miles, and now for approximately 4 months, mysterious openings of the rear hatch, alarm going off, door ajar light on - like the car was possessed. I've wondered if it was my inadvertent hitting of the rear door release on the fob instead of the lock button when I came out of a store to find the hatch up.

Anyway, I've researched the issue, found the cause, and found all sorts of DIY fixes. To date (spanning over 1 1/2 months) I've tried WD40 (no good) and the brake cleaner (hit or miss success). I've tried closing the driver's side with the passenger's door open, windows down, etc., in an attempt to relieve pressure when the door is closed. That too, hit or miss. Never tried electrical parts cleaner.

Finally got it into the dealer yesterday for repairs, and they have called to say it's been "repaired" it under TSB 15-0013 guidelines. I notified Ford of this problem for their documentation as well. I'll pick it up from the dealer later today.

I've read the TSB 15-0013 procedure (that has been discussed here in earlier posts), and it amounts to spraying a cleaner and actuating the switch 20 times while connected to a diagnostic tool. From what I have read from others experience, this may not be a permanent fix to a long standing and well know issue with the switch/latch mechanism.

I am not happy with Ford's position and resolution to this known defect. I have an ESP, so it will cost me the $100 deductible for what I believe will not fix the problem long term. Only a full latch replacement will do that.

I am posting this in advance of getting my Edge back on the road. But there have been so many documented problems with these switches, I wanted to alert others to my experience going to the dealer and the process there to continue the dialog that may be of help to others.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I've absolutely had it! I'm ready to throw this damn car off a mountain. I CANNOT handle it anymore, it's actually driving me crazy. I had a terrifying experience the other day when some stranger followed me to my car and tried to get in my passenger door when I got in the driver's side...AND I COULDN'T LOCK MY DOORS! By the time I reached over to slam the actual lock closed on the passenger door, he had already opened it. Thankfully, there was a guy who was watching this all go down and literally raced to my rescue and chased the guy away. I'm about to sell my car, or go lease a brand new one. And it WILL NOT be a Ford. I called Ford the next morning to report this, and they had nothing to say about it. I told them I called 6 months ago with this exact fear, and it came true. I have a very good friend who is a news anchor and will be going to him with this story...I don't see any other way at this point to get Ford's attention. It's disgusting their lack of customer service over a door latch sensor. Just thought I'd share...