:Door Ajar" warning on at all times

Torontoguy

Or Ford could just fix it knowing the safety related issues? Nope, out of principle (and for my safety), selling the car is the plan. I refuse to pay over $500 for something Ford should fix. Friend had her sensor replaced, 4 months later it started up again.

Ā 

But that's an entirely different argument. Pay to fix it and then argue that Ford should cover the cost under an extended warranty - nobody will really disagree with that including me. But to just keep driving it in what you feel is an unsafe condition and complain that Ford is putting your safety at risk because they won't pay for the repair is silly. Same goes for throttle bodies. If you feel it's unsafe then fix it and try to get Ford to pay for it later.

Ā 

BTW - Ford sells extended warranties to cover exactly this type of situation. If you choose not to buy an extended warranty (thereby saving $1500) then why would you expect Ford to cover it for free? It's like buying an Edge but deciding not to pay for the towing package, then going back to the dealer and asking them to install the hitch for free.

Ā 

Ford could easily extend the warranty to cover this and all other sorts of problems - they'd just have to increase the cost of the vehicle accordingly and I'm sure nobody would want to pay for that.

I don't want to pay to fix it when I see that it's only lasting for so long. I've been arguing with Ford that they should fix it. I wasn't feeling that unsafe until the other day, at which point I've decided I don't want this car anymore. Now that I see how unsafe it is, I'm not being an idiot and I'm moving forward with getting something safe. I have an extended warranty, was sold to me when I bought the car, not through Ford unfortunately, and they don't cover this...I've checked. It's shitty customer service, plain and simple. Other than this issue, I love my car. If there is a fix or something happens before I sell it that fixes this issue for good, I'll keep my car. Until then, I'm done.

2 yr/unlimited mileage IF on your dime. Under warranty work, as we all know too well, there is no explicit warranty coverage but for the warranty you have remaining under which the work was performed.

Ā 

So if you pay for the repair once and the new part fails within 24 months it should be covered. The part at least. That helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to pay to fix it when I see that it's only lasting for so long. I've been arguing with Ford that they should fix it. I wasn't feeling that unsafe until the other day, at which point I've decided I don't want this car anymore. Now that I see how unsafe it is, I'm not being an idiot and I'm moving forward with getting something safe. I have an extended warranty, was sold to me when I bought the car, not through Ford unfortunately, and they don't cover this...I've checked. It's shitty customer service, plain and simple. Other than this issue, I love my car. If there is a fix or something happens before I sell it that fixes this issue for good, I'll keep my car. Until then, I'm done.

Ā 

Red,

I didn't see in your post if your Edge has the door ajar light issue (and related problems with getting the doors to lock) or not. It sounds like yours may be a different issue. Thought I'd share this if you haven't already bailed out on the Edge.

Ā 

From the FWIW department, I've been to the dealer and they performed the service as required on TSB 15-0013. I stated in an earlier post that I wasn't pleased with this because I'd read that the fix is temporary. It's been about a month, and so far things are working great, doors locking/unlocking as they are supposed to with the key fob or key pad on the door.

Ā 

It's worth a try at the dealer, and while mine was covered under extended warranty ($100 deductible) the dealer charge was $103 - so wow, the ext. warr. "saved" me $3. I think if you had to pay $103 out of pocket, that's still reasonable. I agree there is a safety issue with this, and the NHTSB has a place that you can report your problem, it will be a while (or never) before this becomes a safety recall. This is a longstanding and well documented problem with the lock/switch assembly, and Ford hasn't done anything about it.

Alright folks. I've posted a few times about having this problem like the rest of you and every fix I've done has only worked temporarily. Well I finally found a method that seems to have fixed mine. Did it about a month ago and still having no problems. I found a Youtube video online that shows you how to easily get to the white switch that causes the door ajar warning. I'll post it below. The guy in the video uses canned air and a dremel to fix his problem but I didn't do any of that. I'll post the video below. Please watch before reading further.

Ā 

Things you will need: 1. Small flat head screwdriver or something similar in size like in the video. 2. Brake Cleaner Spray w/straw 3. (Optional) Hard Bristle Pipe Cleaner

Ā 

1. Open the door and manually get the door to the lock position to get to the white switch like the video shows.

Ā 

2. Spray the white switch and the area around it with the brake cleaner. You don't have to use the whole can. I just used 3-4 high pressure sprays from the straw that came the brake cleaner.

Ā 

3. After spraying the switch move it up and down a couple of times with your screw driver or whatever item you used. If you are using a a pipe cleaner use it in the area of the white switch in an attempt to clean around it. DO NOT USE a cheap pipe cleaner because it will leave fabric in the area and cause more problems.

Ā 

4. Leave the door open for 20-30 minutes so whatever is in there has a chance to drip out onto the ground.

Ā 

The first time I did this I didn't use the pipe cleaner step and the fix still worked. However the other day I found some in my garage and stuck one up there after spraying it with brake cleaner again and the gunk I pulled out was pretty impressive. I can see why the switch wasn't working like it was supposed to. I think even if the Dealership changes out the switch that you will end up having the issue down the line again anyway

Ā 

I hope this fix helps some of you out. I've tried the contact cleaner spray fix, WD-40, etc. that I've seen on these boards and nothing worked longer than a week. This has been going a month strong. I think from here on out I'm just going to spray the switch every few months as a preventaive measure. Below is a link to the video and a link to the brake cleaner I bought off Amazon that doesn't have an overpowering smell. Again the video shows him using canned air and mentions using a dremel to trim down the switch but I did NOT do this.

Ā 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz0fD8UAXLc

Ā 

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08880-Power-Brake-Cleaner/dp/B0002FU44K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443995771&sr=8-1&keywords=Brake+cleaner

Edited by Ungo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys. Heres another solution that is the easiest by far! I did this last Friday and is been 3 days now and my sensor is working fine. If you recall I suggested to spray electrical cleaner on the latch and it's a good solution but it does not work for everyone. Although i think the ones that it does not work is because they are not spraying enough and not in the right spot. Ok..... my drivers side for the got fixed with the electrical spray and its been good for 3 months now. But. My passenger side is not working like the drivers side. It keeps coming back for some reason. So. ... to the easiest solution! Go to the car wash and put the spray on rinse. You can try with soap rinse but i just happened to use just the rinse setting. Now. ... make sure the doors are locked. Now. ... pull the door handle all the way out like you are opening the door. And aim the powerful water jet to the openings that get exposed when you hold the door handle out. Just spray those openening so the water goes in and flushes the mechanism. Just hold it there for a good 20 second moving the angle of spray a little too make sure the water hits the sensor and penetrates it. If you rinse it well your sensor should work! Again. ... its 3 days and no sensor problem for me! Give this a shot everyone and report back! No need to take the door apart or anything. .. just hold the handle out and spray into those openings that you see! Good luck! Still like my edge! Hell... spray it longer than 20 seconds!

Edited by 2011edgese
  • Like 1

Yup... it crossed my mind about water not being the best solution but I figured when it rains water will get in there here and there so I just went ahead and did it. And so far its cured. The can of electrical cleaner would work also in those holes but yeah I don't think it will get everything like a high pressure water line

Yup... it crossed my mind about water not being the best solution but I figured when it rains water will get in there here and there so I just went ahead and did it. And so far its cured. The can of electrical cleaner would work also in those holes but yeah I don't think it will get everything like a high pressure water line

• 1 month later...

I have a 2013 Ford Edge and the Drivers side ajar warning comes on almost constantly. I have 54,000 miles on the vehicle so it will not be covered by extended warranty I would assume. I put in a complaint with NHTSA National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (www.safercar.gov) which has hundreds of complaints for this same issue. If you are having this issue I encourage you to put in one as well and perhaps Ford will see that this needs to have a recall done to retain its loyal customers/consumers!

• 2 months later...

I went thru a can of brake cleaner and a can of electrical cleaner. Did the pipe cleaner thing. Key in the lock thing. All the things except that one dude that stuck a water hose thru the handle, that's just nuts. I hope the Michaels pipe cleaners didn't fall apart in there. If I spray the latch it will work for about 5 minutes now. Then it just goes back to no contact.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...