FWD or AWD

Smiley

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious how many of you opted for AWD and how many for FWD. I chose FWD since my wife has an AWD Escape at home. Never really got stuck in 6 years with a FWD Nissan Maxima in Washington DC area weather either.

We went with the AWD on our Edge as we make trips often to MI in the winter, and always seem to get hit with heavy snowfalls while we're there. We wanted the extra traction (and security) of the AWD.

I ordered the 2008 FWD for several reasons. First, don't think I need the AWD here in SE KS. If we get so much snow or ice that FWD cannot get around, then I'll stay home. Second, wanted the better MPG FWD offers. Third, would rather have the additional $$$ to spend on other things, such as BAMR and Nav and 20" wheels. Yes, I know that is shallow, but I plead guilty.

I ordered the 2008 FWD for several reasons. First, don't think I need the AWD here in SE KS. If we get so much snow or ice that FWD cannot get around, then I'll stay home. Second, wanted the better MPG FWD offers. Third, would rather have the additional $$$ to spend on other things, such as BAMR and Nav and 20" wheels. Yes, I know that is shallow, but I plead guilty.

AWD here in alberta

Edited by misterbig6972

I went with the FWD. Haven't had any problems getting around KC in my FWD '01 Taurus. Figured with the heavier/higher profile Edge that I would get around even better.

We went with the FWD as well. We live in the country, but have a 4 wheel drive truck if need it and have never had any problems getting around with a FWD....so, i opted for the better gas mileage. Currently getting over 20 mpg combined city, hiway. liking that. So Far, thrilled with my edge.....

... If we get so much snow or ice that FWD cannot get around, then I'll stay home. Second, wanted the better MPG FWD offers. Third, would rather have the additional $$$ to spend on other things, such as BAMR and Nav and 20" wheels. Yes, I know that is shallow, but I plead guilty.

Pretty much the same here.

2007 FWD in north Georgia.

Drove a Taurus for the better part of the last decade and got in all sorts of places I didn't think I could... with no problems.

20" wheels are en route atm B)

Just took my 17 foot Four Winns speed boat out of the water with my 2007 AWD Edge. Very sandy bottom at the launch ramp. Piece of cake. Also likie AWD for winter.

We are still thinking about AWD vs. FWD. Probably go w/ AWD just because...well....we can.

I've had a 4x4 of some kind, either as a primary or utility vehicle, (still have a truck based 4x4 SUV that I'll keep, Edge will be for the wife) for my whole driving life.

AWD would be nice, as when there is a mixture of snow/clear pavement I don't want to drive my "real 4wd" locked in because of the clear patches, but would appriciate the 4 corner grip on some of the slick spots.

As for towing the boat, we pull a 22 foot and I don't think I've ever REALLY needed 4wd. I've locked it in a couple of times on slippery ramps, but bet I could have gotten out w/ just rear drive. Front drive on a slippery ramp is a bad thing though (weight is on the rear end) so I bet AWD would be the ticket for pulling a boat w/ the Edge.

I used to launch a 17 foot bass boat using a full size Bronco. Launched it MANY times at a couple of local lakes that have a gravel/mud ramp w/ no pavement -- no problem in 4wd.

I got AWD because I got my boat stuck several times on boat ramps with 2wd vehicles. I once got stuck on a good concrete ramp simply because someone had spilt a little 2 cycle oil on the ramp right at the water line. I had to pile a lot of sand on the ramp to get out....

I also like the fact that AWD virtually eliminates torque steer.

I decided on the FWD SEL Plus for several reasons.

1- Our winters are not too bad here in the Northwest, and I have always been able to get around in our FWD cars in bad weather, which is never too bad.

2- I have a 4 X 4 truck for pulling the boat

3- Less weight with a FWD and better M.P.G.

4- I was not happy with my last AWD. I had 1 tire go bad with 3/4 tread left on all tires, but because it was AWD, I had to replace all 4.

5- As the car got older I had a ton of repair costs, all related to the AWD. Front differential, transfer case and so on.

6- Torque steer is not a problem on the Edge or the Fusion that my wife drives. Nothing like earlier FWD vehicles.

So far we love the Edge and are happy with our decision. 7,500 miles to date.