Shift to Park Warning when it's in Park

AmyLovesHerEdge

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with the sensors wrongly saying that I need to shift to park. When this happens, the interior lights stay on - which kills the battery.

I have a 2013 Edge Limited with 70,000 miles. I have had frequent sensor (windshield wipers and lights) problems as well. Every time I bring in to Ford - they say it will be another $200. to see if they can find out what is wrong.

Ford obviously does not have a clue about the cheap sensors they used. The biggest problems I have had - is that the sensors are tied together - causing other problems when one sensor gives bad info,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm curious--i'm having the 'battery saver'/'dead battery' issue with my 2012. I've never liked that the indicators on the gear shift console don't light up. Any car i've ever had that had a console gearshift, you could tell by looking at it that it was clearly in D or R or M--or P. Now it seems there could be a faulty park switch draining the battery. Just looking for a pattern/connection. SHOULD the letters light up, or is the only real indicator on the dash. What,s the point of having the letters on the console if they don't indicate anything? Thx

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have had the same issue come up occasionally for the last few months. I finally got around to taking it to a dealer yesterday and they are telling me they have seen it before and the only fix is to replace the shifter assembly. From reading this forum, it sounds like that may only be a temporary fix however since at least one poster has had the issue return.

Since my car is out of warranty (42,000), they are telling me it will cost about $400 to fix it... Not a happy face when I heard that. Also need to replace the tires since they are junk already...

How can an automatic shifter wear out in just 2 years? Something is fishy here. Obviously a problem with the original part.

Has anyone had any luck getting Ford to pick up the cost beyond the warranty period?

Thanks,

Pete

Yes it's obviously a problem with the part but there really isn't an option other than to replace it.

It is possible to get Ford to cover some or all of the cost but only if your dealer advocates for it with Ford. I think it's a fairly easy DIY replacement if you end up having to pay for all of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Shit. My '13 SEL AWD just started doing this in the last couple of weeks. Called Ford to get it in on Friday and I was told I have no more warranty. 32000kms on it. Right now I put my e-brake on every time I park the car, I just don't trust it.

At least now I know what to ask for when I take it in on Friday and I can ask how much it's gonna cost me. I would have thought anything having to do with gears on a vehicle would by covered under drive train. I'll take my husband in with me too, I always feel like I'm being ripped of at our dealership. Last time I paid $400 for an oil change service. My husband just about hit the roof.

I love my car, but I don't expect problems at 32000kms. My last car had well over 100000kms and I never had a single issue with it.

Add me to the list on this one. It started happening on my 2013 Edge about a month ago. Of course, it is nearly 4 years and 39,000 miles, so they are telling me it is out of warranty (no extended). Any tips, thoughts on getting some assistance since it appears to be enough of a known issue that there is lots of information out here and even a redesigned part?

Thanks for all the info through the thread. It's helping as I bring it in for the service tomorrow here in Northern Virginia.

Add me to the list on this one. It started happening on my 2013 Edge about a month ago. Of course, it is nearly 4 years and 39,000 miles, so they are telling me it is out of warranty (no extended). Any tips, thoughts on getting some assistance since it appears to be enough of a known issue that there is lots of information out here and even a redesigned part?

Thanks for all the info through the thread. It's helping as I bring it in for the service tomorrow here in Northern Virginia.

Your dealer would have to ask for an AWA and they would probably have to chip in. It won't hurt to ask, but the fact that it's a known problem really doesn't factor into the warranty decision.

I've had the shifter replaced under warranty, and a few months later, it started happening again. I suspect that they just replace with the same part... no changes to it for this problem.

If you keep your foot on the brake, and jiggle the shift lever, it will usually acknowledge that it is in Park - when the red P lights in the gear display. It is very annoying. I have the extended warranty, so I'll take mine in again. As far as I know, the only thing that doesn't wok when this happens is the Remote Start. It won't start if it doesn't think it is in Park.

Your dealer would have to ask for an AWA and they would probably have to chip in. It won't hurt to ask, but the fact that it's a known problem really doesn't factor into the warranty decision.

Thank you for the response - would you let me know what an AWA is/stands for? Been a loyal customer for 15 years and multiple cars at the dealer, so I'm not averse to asking them to help out / ask corporate to help out.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2013 Edge is going in to get this fixed tomorrow morning. The service adviser had heard of this issue and didn't waste time investigating it too much... he ordered the part and made the next appointment quickly! Here's hoping all goes well!

Bring your checkbook as its not covered by warranty or any recall !

Even my Ford Extended warranty didnt cover mine !!