Shift to Park Warning when it's in Park

AmyLovesHerEdge

I sent a PM a few weeks ago about the same issue...My 2011 Ford Edge is out of warranty (46k) and just started having the shift to park issue this January. Right around the same time my drivers door is now saying it isn't closed when it is...I don't really want to go to the dealership, pay them $100, and have them be unable to "recreate the issue" since it only happens a few times a week to me randomly.

Hello Ungo,

Since this symptom is intermittent, I recommend trying to take photos or video record to document it while it’s happening. Also, another option would be to take your Edge in to the dealer when this occurs. Once this is done, set an appointment, and private message me. I’ll be happy to check my resources at that time! :)

Tricia

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This just started happening to my 2013 Sport AWD. it's fully under warr (18.5k miles) so I will take it in for a shifter lever replacement. It happens about 25% of the time I shift into park. I can "fix" it by flicking the button a couple times though, right now, but I assume it will get worse over time.. so I don't have to hit anything yet - thankfully. Still a bummer but glad to see it's a known issue and this thread has all the info in it. I'll get it replaced with my next oil change in 1000 miles or so unless it gets a lot worse quickly.

Edited by samiam

• 1 month later...

Just took my 2013 edge in to dealership. It told me to put in park. Couldnt get it out off park. I shut it off, but engine was still running. Dealership said it's the shift differential. Going to cost around 450. He said he has been seeing this happen. I will be callinf Ford about this. My first ever Ford.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad I found this forum! I was starting to think that my car is possessed considering the issues I have been having with it. My car is at the dealer right now having the same issue. I'm hoping they just switch it out to save the hassle of taking it back over and over again.

Got my car back today, they adjusted the shift cable. First time I drove it since I got it back and it did the same exact thing. Not very happy at this point. Told the dealer its a known issue and to just change out. Told me they can't just do that, and that it needs to be diagnosed. So tired of the several trips to get one thing fixed. Hoping next week will be my last trip and it be fixed!

That may be true, but they could have easily tested it themselves after adjusting the cable and then replaced the shifter. Too many lazy/incompetent dealers out there.

Mine had our Escape in for 2 weeks to fix a bad moonroof motor and a bad steering wheel audio switch. After keeping it 2 weeks they gave it back saying it was fixed. As soon as I got in and tried the buttons they didn't work. On top of that they used the wrong switch. And they didn't bother to wash it. I complained to the owner. They came and picked up the Escape, left a loaner car, fixed it and tested it this time and brought it back today all washed and shiny. So far so good.

2013 Sport AWD has started doing the "shift to park" warning. I have 41K miles on the car so I am out of the new car warranty period but still under the powertrain warranty. Am hoping this issue is covered under powertrain warranty? I just forked out over $1,000 on a busted air conditioning hose which I was not happy about on a 2-year old car so I am really hoping I don't have to fork out MORE money. I love my car but two issues in a one-month period has this Edge owner pretty disappointed. :(

No powertrain warranty coverage (sorry!) per this TSB:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=189151

TSB 15-0047 SHIFT TO PARK OR TRANSMISSION NOT IN PARK MESSAGE – DISCHARGED BATTERY DUE TO SHIFT TO PARK LIGHT ON-UNABLE TO REMOVE IKT.pdf

However, it is worth PM'ing FordService (Tricia) to get her advice on assistance Ford can provide, seeing as you are not far out of warranty. You need to get to 5 posts total on this forum to do so (you can do so in the TEST subforum), then click on this link:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?app=members&module=messaging&section=send&do=form

I have had this problem since 2012 (my posts are somewhere in this thread). When I had the dealer look at it, I was still under warranty, but they couldn't duplicate the problem. Now that it has become a well known issue, maybe I will have better luck. My question, if I have them look at it again this fall when I take it in for an oil change, will they fix it like it is still under warranty? Never have tried having a previously reported problem fixed out of warranty. I remember service writers saying that as long as a reported issue is in the maintenance record that having looked at again should not be a problem - but would like to know if anyone has had any luck with that - out of warranty. This is annoying and I would like it to be fixed!

Update: Problem still occurring and still annoying but I did talk to the Service manager and they would talk to Ford whenever I bring my Edge in again. It is registered and I have paperwork somewhere - we keep everything! Issue not bad enough to bring it in for this only but will do it on the next oil change and provide an update.

Edited by bac2010

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 2012 Edge and it is doing the same thing with the shifter! Clicking the chrome button on the shift lever fixes the problem. I just had my vista roof freeze open on me as if it's timing position is off. It won't close and I don't want to it to rain in my vehicle. It opens fine but won't fully close. I had this on. MB once and they had a crank you could close it with and reset it! The manual was no help!!! It lasted 72000 miles and now it's acting up! I am going to take it to a Kodak ford dealer as I have an extended warrantee to see what they can do.

I just took my 2012 Edge into the dealer (Bob Bell Ford) to have my vista roof fixed. The roof seemed to be out of calibration but the service writer said the motor burned out due to tree debris in the tracks?! The vehicle is garage kept all the time and there was no debris in the tracks when I checked it but he said that you have to drop the headliner to see it???? The motor is under warranty( I got the Premier extended warranty) but to clean the tracks it would cost me an additional $200 as they had to remove the headliner to this. ( they have to remove the headliner to R&R the motor anyway!) how could the tracks have tree debris under the headliner??? I needed to get my vehicle back so I can get back home so I had no choice. I used to work for GM in there underwriting and service contracts dept and I know this is a line and I will let them know about the ripoff. What good is a service contract if the dealer is going to charge you for doing the normal procedure anyway?! He said it would be $1500 w/o the warranty! I just need an honest dealer! There has to be one out there!?

• 1 month later...

Having the same issue with my 2012 Edge w/ 58k miles. I haven't owned a Ford in over 15 years and with the number of problems I have had out of this one I can honestly say I will not have another. We have contacted the dealership as well as Ford directly and they have no interest in replacing at their cost. If you have a faulty product, replace it!

We have contacted the dealership as well as Ford directly and they have no interest in replacing at their cost. If you have a faulty product, replace it!

So you think cars should come with a lifetime warranty against all defects? Are you willing to pay an extra $3K for that privilege?