2011 Ford Edge lane change signal works but turn signal will not stay on

LukRos14

When I push the turn signal lever down to the first stop position (lane change) and release, it gives the expected 3 blinks, then stops...good

When I push the turn signal lever down to the first stop position (lane change) and hold, it will blink until I let go...good

If I push down until it stops (turn signal), it only gives me 3 blinks, then stops...bad

If I push up (right) until it stops, it goes continuously

Make sense? Right turn signal and lane change work perfectly, but left will do only lane change (3 blinks) whether I stop at the first position or push all the way down.

Solution?

Thanks

I'm having the exact same issue with my 2011 Ford Edge. Right signal operates normally, but left only flashes 3 times no matter what and stops. I swapped out the bulbs thinking perhaps one of them was going bad, but that did nothing. Switch or relay perhaps? Post if you figure it out or get it fixed. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I'm also having turn signal issues. I put my left turn signal on at the mall and it won't go off and I can't signal a right turn either. The only way I can get it to stop is to hold the turn stalk to try indicate a right turn and then it stops flashing left and won't flash right.

I'm getting tired of this vehicle. After 22 months and coming up on 24,000 miles (40,000 kms) I've already had it back to the dealer for 4-ways that stuck on, MFT issues, lousy voice recognition, blind spot sensor errors & wipers that turn on when it's sunny and barely sweep in the rain. I've got the extended warranty but can't see hanging on to this vehicle for a day longer than the warranty.

• 1 year later...

I'm also having turn signal issues. I put my left turn signal on at the mall and it won't go off and I can't signal a right turn either. The only way I can get it to stop is to hold the turn stalk to try indicate a right turn and then it stops flashing left and won't flash right.

We just drove all over Belgium this weekend and 2 hours into our trip, this happened to us. So we had to listen to the blinker for about 1400km. I ended up pulling the fuse that controls the left turn signals. We used hand motions in cities to turn left. Since pushing the turn stalk up to turn right didn't work, we used the hazards button to turn right. Since the left signals were disabled, only the right one would flash. Tomorrow I will call Ford to get it fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

So my Edge is at Ford now. They said that I cant drive the car and it sounds like they aren't going to give it back. I have a big problem with that. They keep saying that someone has worked on the wiring and they can't find the problem. What is this? Amateur hour? I am getting real tired of the service here in Germany. They just make me feel like I'm a criminal. I have a feeling they are going to tell me they wont fix it under warranty.

Its just getting ridiculous the crap I have to put up with over here. I'm supposed to be a valued customer.

----------------------End Rant--------------------------

I did some research and found the part, I think is the problem, for $40. Depending on what they say, I'll probably be ordering the part and installing it myself. Looks like a simple install, problem fixed in less than 15 mins.

• Like 1

I had to call them all day because they said they would call me back and never did. The last time I called, I asked if they found the problem. They said no because it is an electronic issue, so its difficult to find.... I told them to check the multifunction switch (that is the turn signal stalk) and they said they haven't yet. :rant2: I have been telling them that for 2 weeks now. I said that I'm going to pick the car up in 1 hour and they told me that the car was apart....So I told them to put it back together. I was going to take it to another dealer, I had had enough.

When I got there, the people at the front counter said they found the issue and that it was covered under my extended warranty. They said they ordered the part and it will take 2 weeks to arrive. When I asked what was broke, they said it was the multifunction switch. :banghead:

Good side is, I only have to pay a $50 deductible. Now I need to see if I can get reimbursed for the diagnostic fee they charged me 2 weeks ago. I am glad they are finally fixing it. Such a headache to deal with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My problem started yesterday, I signaled right and it stayed on while entering the freeway of all places. As an IT tech my first thought was reboot!. I pulled over turned the car off back on and the problem went away, I tested a few more times and it was good since (about 11 hours).

Should I expect this to happen again?

When these parts malfunction is it physical or say a piece of dust getting in the way of a connection or something??

• 10 months later...

I have a 2011 Ford Edge that had the same problem. The left signal was on all the time while driving straight and wouldn't turn off unless I held the lever in the right signal position. Spent the day today looking at the problem. Took the covers off the column and removed the 2 screws holding the switch on the column. With the switch off removed the 2 screws that held the circuit board to the switch. Under the board was 2 contacts with I cleaned and applied new dielectric grease. I put the circuit board back on and installed the switch and it works perfectly now. Only took about 15 minutes and cost nothing.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I had the exact same issue with my 2011 Edge. The turn signal when turning right would not hold and would always stop after the 3 flashes.

I followed the process above (the hardest part was removing the plastic cover. Hint: leave the bottom bolt attached and remove the top part first. You can access some of the clips with a long screwdrivers or your fingers from the bottom where the locking lever is.) The rest was very easy, as long as watch out to not lose anything since the connectors are not attached and can easily fall after removing the circuit switch.

In my case the grease on the turn signal connectors was very dirty (dark black instead of a pale yellow), I removed the old grease with a paper towel and applied new dielectric grease. It works like new.

I did not need to use sandpaper. My guess is that for some reasons dust and dirt get in the area where this specific connector is and contaminate the grease.

All and all, a no cost fix thanks to this forum.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Hello folks:

Enjoying my ride very much until this exact OP problem (as described by LukRos14 and also by Arnesr, and very similar to the one described by Youri631, just the other "left" lol, all quoted below) occurred a couple of days ago, at 185 000 kms (no complain ;), but logically way over the factory warranty and extended service plan.  That's why I'm reviving this "old" but very useful thread from this reliable and inexhaustible source of knowledge, information and solutions this forum is made of: great people!  So, there I go ;)

I have read and reread all your posts and some others over the net, but I'm still stuck at the simplest but very first step: how to remove the steering column cover?!  LOL

Northernone said "...took the covers off the column...";  but didn't say how! lol

Jake77 said: "...(took me a little while to take off the steering column housing)...";  but didn't say why! lol

Youri631 said: "...(the hardest part was removing the plastic cover....", but didn't say why either. lol

Youri631 even gave a "hint", but that's how good (poor) mechanically inclined I am: I didn't get his hint. lol

And I'm NOT quoting them with any criticism, please; I'm just trying to get you to the exact point where I am at lost.  Hopefully, you will be able to provide me with some instructions for dummies (as I am). LOL

On 10/1/2012 at 1:23 PM, LukRos14 said:

When I push the turn signal lever down to the first stop position (lane change) and release, it gives the expected 3 blinks, then stops...good

When I push the turn signal lever down to the first stop position (lane change) and hold, it will blink until I let go...good

If I push down until it stops (turn signal), it only gives me 3 blinks, then stops...bad

If I push up (right) until it stops, it goes continuously

Make sense? Right turn signal and lane change work perfectly, but left will do only lane change (3 blinks) whether I stop at the first position or push all the way down.

Solution?

Thanks

On 10/2/2012 at 4:39 PM, arnesr said:

I'm having the exact same issue with my 2011 Ford Edge. Right signal operates normally, but left only flashes 3 times no matter what and stops. I swapped out the bulbs thinking perhaps one of them was going bad, but that did nothing. Switch or relay perhaps? Post if you figure it out or get it fixed. Thanks.

On 4/26/2015 at 6:35 PM, northernone said:

... Took the covers off the column and removed the 2 screws holding the switch on the column. With the switch off removed the 2 screws that held the circuit board to the switch. Under the board was 2 contacts with I cleaned and applied new dielectric grease. I put the circuit board back on and installed the switch and it works perfectly now. Only took about 15 minutes and cost nothing.

On 1/8/2016 at 8:42 PM, jake77 said:

Thank you, northernone! Your solution worked perfectly for my 2011 edge. (took me a little while to take off the steering column housing)

On 10/6/2016 at 6:46 PM, youri631 said:

I had the exact same issue with my 2011 Edge. The turn signal when turning right would not hold and would always stop after the 3 flashes.

I followed the process above (the hardest part was removing the plastic cover. Hint: leave the bottom bolt attached and remove the top part first. You can access some of the clips with a long screwdrivers or your fingers from the bottom where the locking lever is.) The rest was very easy, as long as watch out to not lose anything since the connectors are not attached and can easily fall after removing the circuit switch.

In my case the grease on the turn signal connectors was very dirty (dark black instead of a pale yellow), I removed the old grease with a paper towel and applied new dielectric grease. It works like new.

I did not need to use sandpaper. My guess is that for some reasons dust and dirt get in the area where this specific connector is and contaminate the grease.

All and all, a no cost fix thanks to this forum.

Any clear step-by-step instructions or hints on how to remove the steering column cover are greatly appreciated in advance.

Thank you folks.

GP

Edited by Edgingage

Omar302, thank you very much for your prompt reply.

So, basically, I just need to unscrew the three bolts underneath the column and that's it?  No need to disconnect the battery negative post to avoid the risk of the air bag deploying, and no need to pry the column cover either?  The reason of my maybe stupid questions is because I have read this and that over the net... Please let me know. Thanks and sorry for my lack of basic "mechanical" knowledge lol.

Edited by Edgingage