Rear view camera guidelines are missing

My ride is a 2011 Limited with MFT updated to the 3.2.2. Over the past few days I've noticed the red, yellow and green guidelines that used to show up in the rear camera display are no longer showing. All I get is the raw video from the camera with no overlay.

I've verified the setting to show the guidelines is turned on, and I've tried to cycle the setting with no change. Additionally, I've noticed the Visual Park Aid Alert setting won't stay set to on, it keeps turning itself off.

I haven't tried resetting MFT yet, all I've tried is cursing at the thing and apparently that doesn't work. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

Thanks.

Go to the system settings, choose "vehicle", and then "rear view camera". You can turn the guidelines back on. It just takes a few seconds.

The recent software update added a dashed black line to show the center line when backing. I don't tow, but it would be useful for lining up a trailer. I think it's just useful for backing up as it gives me a better sense of where my vehicle is going. A friend owns a new Taurus SHO and he also just got the new update. His display has the two multi colored guidelines, but he doesn't have the black dashed line. The additional thing the SHO display has is a set of white lines that show the projected wheel track of the vehicle when in reverse.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2011 Edge and my guidelines and visual aid lines are gone. I tried turning them back on but they go right back to off when leaving the settings menu. I also did a Master Reset but didn't help any. Anyone have any suggestions?

The camera with the extra's have been working just fine after the latest 3.5.1 update I believe for quite some time

Thanks much, Happy Motoring

When I first took my Edge into the dealership (two months ago) to have them look at the camera problem, they told me the camera hadn't been activated and asked me if I had the camera replaced at some point. The camera wasn't replaced, and it had been working fine for a couple of years until recently. The tech did reactivate the camera and everything worked fine for a couple of weeks, then the guidelines and zoom stopped working again and the camera intermittently goes offline altogether.

Since the vehicle is out of warranty, it's going to cost $300+ for the camera replacement. Oi!

Incidentally, the problem started even before I had the 3.5.1 update applied.

Just got back from dealership (oil change and tire rotation) and I had them do the update to 3.5 and I gave them the A4 maps I just got in mail. Lost my phone parings, and Sirius presets. Didn't lose FM and AM presets.

Rear view camera works fine....even has that line you guys are talking about. There is also a button for a different view....either a zoomed in close up or a zoomed down view like you are lining up to a trailer hitch. Not sure which yet. So far everything seems fine. Phone paring is a little different.

Edited by RJG

Posts 1-to-6 describe problems with rearview camera visual park aid lines in vehicles running V3.2.2.

Posts 7-and-later appear to describe the V3.5.1 update as having corrected V3.2.2's rearview camera visual park aid problems.

My rearview camera & visual park aids & zoom are all working just fine with V3.5.1.

I especially enjoy the way the visual zone containing the approaching obstruction highlights from green fill-in to yellow fill-in to red fill-in as a supplement to the audible warning.

This added visual function makes the location of the hazard more obvious.

Good luck!

• 5 years later...

Hi,

I see this discussion is dated but...

I just had my camera replaced at the dealer. Oct. 30, 2018. Camera works but have lost the backup guidelines.

Does anyone know if the new camera/MFT no longer has the backup line feature or is there a fix?

I checked the settings and the toggle for the guidelines is set to on. Wondering if there is another setting that I'm missing maybe? I have not rebooted the entire MFT system yet. Not sure if that would make a difference.

Thanks for your time,

Amy

• 1 month later...

Rear view camera guidelines and the ability to look down toward hitch are gone.

I see this has been a topic for some time, but it has just happened to me as of about 12/09/2018.

I have a 2012 Edge. I have not done anything to cause this that I know of, it was working one day and gone the next.

From what I have read, it seems to be a software issue that came about after a software update, so why are people saying how much it cost to 

have a Ford dealership fix it? It seems Ford or Ford reps. did something wrong and that Ford should fix it for free. 

Is there a way I can get this problem solved by way of an update sent to my car? 

How do I get this working again? 

Also, I keep getting the "Want to run a Vehicle Health Report" pop-up. Yet Ford has said it will no longer accept those reports. How do I get my vehicle to stop asking if

I want to run the Vehicle Health Report?

Please help. Thanks. 

• 1 month later...

Well when my backup camera stopped showing guidelines it required a replacement camera which mine was covered under my extended warranty and I believe the consensus has been that it is not a software update or bug in the software, but an issue with the actual camera. I am not sure if replacement cameras are built differently but I have had no issues since getting mine replaced in 2015. 

• 1 month later...

I just suffered the fate of many other folks.  Went to back up yesterday and my guidelines and parking aid indicators were gone.  

Today, the camera started flickering and a few times would only show blue, then black solid color (entire screen).

Used forscan and I am getting a DTC for the camera module.  I then re-initialized the camera (local network interface module in BdyBMC).  The lines and aid indicators immediately came back.  Shut off car and on and put car in reverse again.  No lines.

Re-initialized again and they’re back.  Let’s see how long this lasts.  Looks like I may be ordering a $300 camera.  Ugh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had to replace the camera.  The best price I could find, while still making certain is was a legitimate OEM camera, was from here: https://www.acautopartspr.com/oem-parts/ford-rear-camera-bt4z19g490b (I have zero affiliation with them, they just happened to be the cheapest OEM I could find on google).

$211 shipped and I got it in 3 days.

Used this very informative video, which was perfect, to get it done: 

Happy to report new camera works perfect, guidelines and all.  Took about 45 minutes total, including FORScan programming (reset PAM module and initialized camera). As an added bonus, I am glad to also have the cataracts gone that has been plaguing my camera for over a year (I’ve always just dealt with it).

I took a quick shot showing the old vs new camera lens.

IMG_0609.jpg

Edited by candurin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...