How to Plasti-dip your rims (video tutorial)

Cellbine

Cellbine, the video was GREAT! Just finished up my wheels:

Before:

post-22533-0-91058400-1367522886_thumb.jpg

After (if you've got 20/20 and can see the "messed up" part on the bottom of the wheel, that is where I gouged the plastic chrome curbing the wheel, in fact, the P-D makes it look 1000 times better):

post-22533-0-26308100-1367522900_thumb.jpg

Only 1 wheel has a small bubble/stretch point. You cannot see it nor will anyone notice it unless your right on top of it. I'll wait for it to become an issue and then re-apply. It just sucks that I know it's there.

Just a few personal experiences:

1. I did the front grille at the same time. While removing my blue tape, I peeled up the plastic in some spots and therefore got real pissed and removed all the dip from the front of the car. Next time, I'm removing the grille and bumper and going at it that way. Maybe I'm just f-in' awful at masking. Anyone care to make a front bumper removal or P-Dipping the grille video?

2. 90% preparation and 10% spraying

3. I am truly glad that Cellbine mentioned in his video to readjust the rotor bags after rolling the car forward. The bags on 2 of the wheel shifted and I almost starting spraying before checking and re-securing.

4. Using the Rustoleum comfort grip was NOT a good idea. It does not add enough pressure on the P-D trigger to allow the full spray to come out of the can (i.e. you get a much weaker spray when using the grip). It really wasn't needed as the P-D finger spray button is larger and quite comfortable to use in and of itself.

5. Had fun doing it...

Again, thanks Cellbine!

Edited by candurin

I am very glad my video helped you out! That is exactly why I made it.

If I get some time later this summer, I might adventure out and make a video on how to remove your front bumper. It seems like a lot of people are wondering how to do it and there only seems to be pictures out there. So that will give me another opportunity to help everyone out again.

Your wheels look great! Even your curb check looks good. I know how you feel about every little mistake. I see all of mine lol. The good thing is that Plasti-Dip is very forgiving and really cheap. I just wish I could buy some over here. I could really use about 2 cans.

Screw plastidip for wheels, unless you're in the extreme north and don't have winter wheels. For grille and such, paint. :)

I really want to paint my wheels and grille but not sure how to paint with the chrome clad covering...many say you can't paint over it and not sure how to get it off. Any help?

Just redid my front wheel. The was the one with the bubble in the application which tore and peeled immediately. The PD peeled off the wheel easily and in one big sheet. Kinda neat, actually.

Now it's perfect and I touched up the holidays in the other 3 wheels. Couldn't be happier with the results!!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I think about 4, but I put about 5 coats on them.

So cellbine! Got a 07 black edge and want to plasti dip my rims and grille. So about 4 cans should do it? And what about a clear coat? I know there is a clear plasti dip, so is it just preference or will it make the dip last longer and prevent scuffs ?

Hey Zep, 4 cans should be more than enough. I imagine you are talking about the gloss? It will just be a personal decision you will have to make to go with the flat look or the gloss look. The only extra protection it should provide is another layer to go through for anything that attacks your rims.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that have plastidipped your rims, how have they held up? Between road grit, salting during the winter ... what are your experiences? Have you touched them up due to normal use? I like the option of just peeling it away and restarting i just don't want to do it constantly.

It's too cold to do it her in NY but would be planning to do it once the temps are warmer.