What is the best HID kit for the Edge?

35w is like stock, from what I read, there is no need to go 55w. As for the DRL, I'd suggest changing them to the turn signals so to keep the HID for normal lighting. Or you can disable the DRL completely & use a kit from DriveBright for DRL function.

And that is something that can be done at a dealership only right?? They basically reprogram what is powering the DRLs??

And that is something that can be done at a dealership only right?? They basically reprogram what is powering the DRLs??

You can reprogram using Forscan software and an ELM plug-in device to your OBD port. I did this on my '13 Edge and I have the parking lamps as my DRL's. I am using Silverstar bulbs for headlights and I did not want them to burn out so fast. Parking lamp bulbs are cheap, Silverstars are not..

Awesome, thanks for the advice!! In that case, any suggestions on which OBD scanner to buy?? I see most things work great with Android devices, but I am an Apple user.

I'm starting fresh so I'm trying to see if the investment in the scanner and software is better than paying a dealer to re-program this for me.

Awesome, thanks for the advice!! In that case, any suggestions on which OBD scanner to buy?? I see most things work great with Android devices, but I am an Apple user.

I'm starting fresh so I'm trying to see if the investment in the scanner and software is better than paying a dealer to re-program this for me.

I used an ELM327 scanner with a usb connector. I used my laptop with Windows10 for the Forscan software. I bought my scanner off of Amazon.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a 2017 edge that ive changed to H9 bulbs but the lighting still sucks & the yellow headlights look terrible next to the stock led lower driving lights.

Ive been considering trying some HIDs in the Edge but Sylvania are like $140 a piece. wow.

Ive never used HIDs before due to the bulbs short life reviews.

What do y'all recommend if I do make the switch???

My neighbor has a 2016-2017 mustang & the projector looks the same & i do believe it comes from the factory with HIDs but I dont know the brand ford is using.

The mustangs headlights are white & it matches the mustangs stock led lower driving lights.

10 hours ago, DEEz said:

I have a 2017 edge that ive changed to H9 bulbs but the lighting still sucks & the yellow headlights look terrible next to the stock led lower driving lights.

Ive been considering trying some HIDs in the Edge but Sylvania are like $140 a piece. wow.

Ive never used HIDs before due to the bulbs short life reviews.

What do y'all recommend if I do make the switch???

My neighbor has a 2016-2017 mustang & the projector looks the same & i do believe it comes from the factory with HIDs but I dont know the brand ford is using.

The mustangs headlights are white & it matches the mustangs stock led lower driving lights.

I think you may be confusing your terms.  HID bulbs have an average lifespan that can be several times that of standard halogen bulbs like your H9 (they range from double the life to eight times the life depending on which bulbs you compare).  Perhaps you were thinking of those "special" halogen bulbs like Sylvania SilverStar or Philips X-Treme.  Those bulbs promise whiter light and brighter output but they do it by filtering and over-driving the bulb filament to provide the output but at a greatly reduced lifespan.

You can't replace halogen with HID by just replacing the bulb.  For one thing, factory HID bulbs (D1S, D2S, etc.) won't physically fit the headlamp housing.  For another, HIDs require a ballast that provides high voltage to the bulb to cause the electrical arc which provides the light output.  Your options are to replace your halogen lights with a complete HID system which is very expensive, or use an aftermarket kit which includes ballasts, wiring and HID bulbs designed to fit halogen bulb sockets.  For example, as Nick mentioned, you can get a good H9/H11 HID kit for $150 - $200.  You can also get cheap kits for around $50 but for the most part those are crap, using cheap materials and inferior electronics in the ballasts which will cause all kinds of problems like excessive heat, radio interference, and short lifespans.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, wjac07 said:

What are the ddm kits im looking for a set for 2014 edge se

I've had a 35/5000 DDM Kit with a custom harness in my 2011 SEL for over 7 years.  DDM replaced a ballast in year two under warranty.  I purchased two kits thinking I may need spare parts but haven't had to use it.  Not sure if DDM's quality has changed since installing mine 7 years ago but it still looks like they have great prices.

• 2 years later...

We have actually just moved from our DriveBright HID kits to an awesome LED headlight replacement bulb kit.  This new headlight LED bulb outperforms our HID kit and is so much easier to install. 

We have tested over 30 different LED headlight bulbs over the past 4 years. We finally came across this design.  You don't need to use tools to adjust the angle of the LEDs like you have to do with almost every other LED headlight bulb.  Just plug in our Bright TRAX LED headlight bulb to the vehicle plug and pop it in the headlight socket and your done. Just like changing a regular halogen bulb.

Our Bright TRAX LED headlight bulbs work flawlessly on all model year Edges. There is no flicker, false start or auto start issues.

There is a LIFETIME warranty on them as well. Take a look at these photos and visit our website. Bright TRAX 3D LED headlight replacement bulb kit

Bright TRAX 3D LED Headlight Bulb (1).jpg

Bright TRAX 3D LED Headlight Bulb (5).jpg

Bright TRAX 3D LED Headlight Bulb (6).jpg

Bright TRAX 3D LED Headlight Bulb (7).jpg

Bright TRAX 3D LED Headlight Bulb (4).jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2022 at 4:15 PM, kc300c said:

We have actually just moved from our DriveBright HID kits to an awesome LED headlight replacement bulb kit.  This new headlight LED bulb outperforms our HID kit and is so much easier to install. 

We have tested over 30 different LED headlight bulbs over the past 4 years. We finally came across this design.  You don't need to use tools to adjust the angle of the LEDs like you have to do with almost every other LED headlight bulb.  Just plug in our Bright TRAX LED headlight bulb to the vehicle plug and pop it in the headlight socket and your done. Just like changing a regular halogen bulb.

Our Bright TRAX LED headlight bulbs work flawlessly on all model year Edges. There is no flicker, false start or auto start issues.

There is a LIFETIME warranty on them as well. Take a look at these photos and visit our website. Bright TRAX 3D LED headlight replacement bulb kit

Bright TRAX 3D LED Headlight Bulb (1).jpg

Bright TRAX 3D LED Headlight Bulb (5).jpg

Bright TRAX 3D LED Headlight Bulb (6).jpg

Bright TRAX 3D LED Headlight Bulb (7).jpg

Bright TRAX 3D LED Headlight Bulb (4).jpg

Ordered some and look forward to giving them a try!

Got in the Trax 3D bulbs today and I am happy with them. Photo comparison of the old Alla brand 2 sided bulbs versus these new ones. Noticeably less "dark spots" with the 3D. As always, I wish they were brighter but for plug and play under $80 I am satisfied.

Old:

alla1.thumb.jpg.0d9a06ab71acbd24fdc51c325490fd86.jpg

alla2.thumb.jpg.52e5d9304f35953db494cbc7b8120823.jpg

New:

new1.thumb.jpg.956f2519d44a0297b542139d98b21ede.jpg

new2.thumb.jpg.58871e59463c4d6496973c99765c7152.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/27/2022 at 5:17 PM, Marek Junka said:

I currently have the HID kit installed on my 2013 Ford Edge from BrightLights.

I'm guessing I need to remove all that kit and bring it back to just having the plug left in the housing and then plug these LED ones in?

You'd be 100% correct.  As everyone has said, it's as simple as plugging in a halogen bulb.