Double chirp after I exit my vehicle...

Question for those of you who may know.

Whenever, lets say, I'm taking my daughter to school, I will leave my Edge running, exit the vehicle with the key fob in my pocket. When i close my driver door the vehicle chirps the horn twice.

My question is, is it possible to turn the chirp feature off, its kinda loud and doesnt serve any purpose for me.

Thanks in advance.

This seems to be the same issue in late 2013 builds of the Explorer, 2011-2012 and early 2013 did not have this, its supposed to be a reminder that the vehicle is left running without a key inside.

As far as I know, there is no way to disabble it. You can try to check with your dealer if there is a way for them to disable it.

The government has your back, this horn chirp will soon be a federal requirement, except instead of a double chirp it will be a loud one second honk.

Nice, thats great, lol, maybe I'll just disconnect the horn all together.

You could leave the fob in the car and if necessary lock it using the keypad. It won't unlock unless you use the keypad again to unlock it or use another keyfob.

I thought about that but with it in my pocket I guess I can live with the double honk, just seems like it should be defeatable, I'll get to the bottom of it somehow.

Obviously you don't live in Maryland where they made it illegal to leave your car running without someone (presumably a legal driver) in the drivers seat. They did this to raise money, try to stop cars from being stolen, and to stop cars from taking off on their own and running into things. It's something they can give you a ticket for. I don't know what it costs.

Before this was illegal, one morning I was in the local 7-11 and a county cop came in and had the following exchange with a guy who had left his pickup running:

Cop: Nice truck. That yours?

Guy: Yes.

Cop: Did you know the guy that just drove it away?

Guy (almost dropping his coffee when he turned around to look for it): WHAT?

Cop: Just kidding. You know, more cars are stolen that way in this state.

haha, I kinda feel bad for the guy because I know that would probably be me on the receiving end of it, but hilarious, I bet that made the cops day. I guess its a revenue generator but also curbs the amount of time law enforcement spends looking for or having to deal with stolen cars.

just seems like it should be defeatable

What if your wife was driving and you had the only key in your pocket and she dropped you off somewhere. Then she'd be really really glad that you can't turn that feature off.

You can always just turn it off if you're only going in for a minute or two.

What if your wife was driving and you had the only key in your pocket and she dropped you off somewhere. Then she'd be really really glad that you can't turn that feature off.

You can always just turn it off if you're only going in for a minute or two.

I understand your point totally, however, that being said, its just based off my own preference of being a single dad with a kid, I find it to be a bit annoying that even at midnight, if I stop by my brothers place to drop something off, run up to the door, hand it over and run back, it beeps, that sort of thing. I'll have to dive into the settings for it and see if it can be turned off. If not, like you said, gotta live with it or adjust to it.

Interesting, let me try this, when it double chirps its locking the doors and I need to insert my hand into the door handle to get the car to unlock. Perhaps if, when I get out, I lock it myself it wont beep?

NatG, perhaps your theorem will work, tomorrow, I'll post after I try it.

Nope, not going to work. As soon as you close the door the car is going to chirp. As long as it it's running, the key is not inside and the door closes, you will get the chirp. No way to turn it off, as I mentioned, it's in advance of a federal regulation.

Just turn the car off more often. The situation where it gets me though is on a cold morning. When the windows are all frosty, I get in, start it up, turn on the defrosters, then get out to scrap the windows. When I close the door i get the chirp, which can easily wake up my kid who is still sleeping in the front bedroom!

So the chirp basically, barring disconnecting the horn, will not go away. Thats fine, its a feature to prevent being locked out, a reminder that the vehicle is running and other things I'm sure. I suppose that's just the way it works or the fed has intended. As far as starting it up in the morning, I generally do it from inside the house simply only because through the settings it runs the defroster etc... for me for the 10 minute duration of the remote start up. Can't you do the same to prevent both having to scrape the windows and setting off the chirp that wakes up the little guy?

I wish I could get the heated seat to work on remote start-up, that would be a godsend. Maybe I need to dive into the settings more.

Edited by Manish R. Patel

Okay, I think I got it now, i set up the remote start attributes for climate. Thanks for the heads up, I would have totally just kind of overlooked it. I guess it wont be that cold here again until the coming December so I have a whole year to tear up the truck before I know its total capabilities with winter mode!

• 3 years later...

It wouldn't be quite so obnoxious if instead of using the actual horn for the alert, ford had instead used a higher pitched chirp, like what is on my 2006 Audi.

Sometimes I arrive home late at night or early in the morning from work and I really don't think my neighbors appreciate being woken up by the sound of my Edge's horn.

I find it hard to believe that in 2016 some auto manufacturers are still using the horn as their alert sound for securing the vehicle, or telling the driver that the engine is still running.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a report on the national news a month or so ago about push button start cars and how people would park their car in their garage and forget to turn the car off (distracted by being on the phone or something). A couple of close calls due to carbon monoxide then building up.

That's the readon for the horn honk. If you leave the door open, it won't honk.

My 2016 Edge shuts off after running in park for 30 minutes.

Thirty minutes in a closed garage is more than enough to produce deadly amounts of carbon monoxide.

If you are concerned consider installing a carbon monoxide alarm on the living side of the door that leads to the attached garage. I just replaced mine (every 10 years) and the new ones have both alarm and voice. Nice! Anyway, $30 and your protected, just in case.