2011 Edge limited Driver door ajar issue

Racerb0y

Happened to me as well. The problem started last year ('11 Ltd, AWD, 42k miles), disappeared in the spring, summer, and fall, but then got progressively worse once the temp's went below freezing. No amount of hard/soft closing, wd-40, electronic cleaner spray, and other fixes would work. I bit the bullet and went to my dealership. While the service mgr mentioned that there was a TSB, I forgot to ask him for the reference #. I am far from handy, so long story short I paid about $340 for the repair.

Started last week on my 2013 Ford Edge SEL.. still under warranty, still a widespread issue from what I see.

Edited by lowlevel

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the problem on my '11 Ltd for some time now. Of course, I have the keyless option, which doesn't work if the door isn't closed (or the sensor doesn't see it as such), so I can't touch-lock the car.

I have to slam the door several times before it finally sees it as closed, which worries me as I could be doing more damage to the door mechanisms.

I have an extended warranty with a $100 deductible, so I don't want to pay out unnecessarily. Due for an oil change in about a week or so and I'll get the dealer to look at it at that time. I changed jobs and location recently, so this will be a new experience at a new dealer!

Well, I got the switch replaced (or at least I think they replaced it, there's nothing on the invoice!!) and did end up having to pay the $100. :(

The dealer charged me over $55 for The Works package and after I commented, gave me a refund of about $7.50! Needless to say, that's the last time they get to work on MY car! The previous dealer charged just the $39.95 (plus tax and fees for a total of about $46), so even though they're not as convenient (I changed jobs and towns), I'll go back there next time.

Oh, and I just checked. They charged me for SEVEN quarts of oil. The manual says that the capacity is only 5.5 quarts. I think they'll be getting a nasty phone call on Monday. I know it's not a lot of money but there's a principle here. If they did that to me, how much are they overcharging everyone else?

...and they wonder why dealers are mistrusted!

Edited by Guindalf

Engine oil was not overfilled, but when I checked it, I did look at the fluid levels and it appears that NONE of them were topped up!

I don't know about you, but when I'm (over)paying for a service, I expect it to be done correctly. After all, if I was a little old person with absolutely no mechanical knowledge, low coolant or other fluids could lead to a major malfunction or, heaven forbid, a nasty wreck!

I did call Ford's customer care on Tuesday but as yet, have not had any kind of response from Ford or the dealer.

Poor show, Ford.

Engine oil was not overfilled, but when I checked it, I did look at the fluid levels and it appears that NONE of them were topped up!

I don't know about you, but when I'm (over)paying for a service, I expect it to be done correctly. After all, if I was a little old person with absolutely no mechanical knowledge, low coolant or other fluids could lead to a major malfunction or, heaven forbid, a nasty wreck!

I did call Ford's customer care on Tuesday but as yet, have not had any kind of response from Ford or the dealer.

Poor show, Ford.

Hello Guindalf,

Your opinions and feedback are valuable to us. I’ll gladly document your dealer experience. Please PM your full name, VIN, current mileage, dealer, details of experience, and best contact number.

I’ll make sure it’s noted! :)

Tricia

• 3 weeks later...

49k and the door ajar light won't go off, but worse is driving at night when the cabin lights won't go off because it thinks your door is open, not to mention that the doors won't lock. For crying out loud Ford get it together - this is a potential safety hazard and a known problem - this needs to be taken care of at your expense not just a TSB. Truly wishing I would have stuck with my 2008 Explorer (already fixed all the problems on that one) or went with my gut and got a GMC...so disappointed and disgusted!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also have the "door ajar issue" and called Ford customer service and they did nothing. They obviously know this is a wide spread problem and they don't issue a recall. It would behoove them to fix this problem because I am so disgusted with Ford that me and my family will be going back to GM and not looking back! Not to mention all the bad word of mouth.

BTW...this is not the only thing Ford has disappointed me with. I own a 2013 F-150 with eco boost--what a joke! I'm getting 14mpg at best when they advertise 18 - 22

• Like 1

Have you tried the DIY fixes mentioned on this forum for the door ajar issue? Try spraying the switch with electrical cleaner/MAF cleaner. If you have a keyed entry, use the key to work the lock mechanism a few times. If you HAVE to replace the switch, there are a couple of sets of instructions on how to DIY. Keep all receipts in case Ford decides to reimburse down the road.

How long are your trips with the F150? City/Hwy? There are a few reports of low mpg like yours, but most are at least 16 mpg or better. Any other operational problems you have noticed?

49k and the door ajar light won't go off, but worse is driving at night when the cabin lights won't go off because it thinks your door is open, not to mention that the doors won't lock. For crying out loud Ford get it together - this is a potential safety hazard and a known problem - this needs to be taken care of at your expense not just a TSB. Truly wishing I would have stuck with my 2008 Explorer (already fixed all the problems on that one) or went with my gut and got a GMC...so disappointed and disgusted!!!

I also have the "door ajar issue" and called Ford customer service and they did nothing. They obviously know this is a wide spread problem and they don't issue a recall. It would behoove them to fix this problem because I am so disgusted with Ford that me and my family will be going back to GM and not looking back! Not to mention all the bad word of mouth.

BTW...this is not the only thing Ford has disappointed me with. I own a 2013 F-150 with eco boost--what a joke! I'm getting 14mpg at best when they advertise 18 - 22

Congrats on making your first post, guys!

I’ll be glad to look into this further. Please answer the questions listed below:

- Lindarwin, what’s the current mileage on your Escape?

- cptchad1, what’s the current mileage, and which model year is your Escape?

Once this info is received, I’ll research available options to assist.

Have a great day! :)

Tricia

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just started having this same issue on my 2011 Edge. Door ajar switch is sticking. I tried cleaning it with contact cleaner, and that fixed it for a day then it started up again. Will probably have to replace it, but this is obviously a bad design by Ford. They should extend the warranty on this part.

Good afternoon everyone!

If you're still experiencing vehicle concerns, let me know. I'll look into options on my end.

Todd

Hi Todd, what options? I followed the YouTube link someone kindly posted but it didn't work for me. I have 17k miles but it's out of warranty time wise. I had taken it in during the warranty period, they "cleaned" it but it came back a year later now out of warranty. I called Ford customer service. They documented it. What's the deal here? Thanks.

Hi Todd, what options? I followed the YouTube link someone kindly posted but it didn't work for me. I have 17k miles but it's out of warranty time wise. I had taken it in during the warranty period, they "cleaned" it but it came back a year later now out of warranty. I called Ford customer service. They documented it. What's the deal here? Thanks.

Todd is with Ford customer service and may be able to get some assistance for you due to the low mileage. It won't hurt to ask.

• Like 1