2011 Edge limited Driver door ajar issue

Racerb0y

Start by taking the time to file a complaint with Safecar.gov get enough complaints then Ford will be forced to take other actions.

Obviously I'm here so I'm having the same problem. 2011 Edge SEL had about 30K in March when I ran into the driver's door ajar sensor issue. Paid my $100 deductible to have the latch cleaned, three months later I'm running into the same issue and they told me I would have to pay the $100 deductible again to have the latch replaced! Called Ford customer service and they sided with the dealer. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can pursue this?

Hey guys,

First of all, I want to welcome all the new members to the neighborhood! My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. I’ll be here to assist with any questions or concerns. If your vehicle is experiencing this symptom, please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll be happy to check my resources on this end! :)

If you live in Canada, please don’t hesitate to reach out to my FordServiceCA colleagues here. They will be happy to lend a hand.

Tricia

• Like 1

Hey all, I posted above. Mine is the Edge with 17k on it (now nearly 18) and Tricia with her crew helped me get it fixed. None of the DIY fixes worked.....I didn't try a replacement, just compressed air and WD40 type stuff. The dealer fixed it and so far it's holding fine. I'm a little unclear on the difference between this fix and the last one.....how they expect this one to work when that one didn't but that's what they say. Supposedly it's worse in colder climates and I'm in Michigan! Touch base with her, good luck!

If you buy the police interceptor version Ford will fix the latch for free since it is recalled. The rest of us are out of luck. Go to SAFECAR.GOV and register an official complaint.

Mac, if you look above you'll see help is offered.

But wow you book some miles!

• Like 1

Hey all, I posted above. Mine is the Edge with 17k on it (now nearly 18) and Tricia with her crew helped me get it fixed...

Hello HAT,

Thanks for the mention, and for sharing the great news! :love_shower:

If you buy the police interceptor version Ford will fix the latch for free since it is recalled...

Macbwt,

Please PM the information I requested in post # 77, and I’ll look into the available options to assist. :)

pm sent Tricia at Ford Motor Co, thanks!

Also sent PM to Tricia. Hopefully they can help. Thanks.

Hey guys,

I replied. Please check your inbox when you get a chance!

Tricia

Worked this thru Tricia / Ford Service. The dealer replaced the part and waived the $100 deductible. Thanks!

Any updates on this topic?

I have a 2011 Edge. The problem was fixed once under the original warranty ~ a year ago at no cost. The problem resurfaced last week and the car is under extended warranty now. The dealership wants the $100 deductible to fix it.

Bad service IMHO... especially considering the volume of complaints, the TSB (nhtsa 10056702), and the fact that I had the problem fixed once already.

I tried the compressed air. It worked for ~ 1 day. Any other suggestions? Anyone have success escalating w/ Ford Customer Service?

I've been a fan for many years, but not backing an obvious problem w/ your product really calls that into question. First Sync & now this...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This just started happening on my 2012 Edge SEL. Bought the car a few months ago and have been loving it! A couple of weeks ago, I noticed I was having to close the door a couple of times to get the light to go off - and now no matter what I do, I can't get the door ajar light to go off! I have tried spraying with wd-40 and compressed air - nothing has worked. I am not looking forward to having to get this fixed! I hope Ford can take ownership of this problem - as looking online for resolutions, there are sooo many people with this same problem.

I saw some posts as well about people replacing it themselves, might have to look more closely at that as I really don't want to pay $400 to get this fixed.

:banghead:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the 2013 Ford Edge SEL, Past Month and half i have been getting this Door Ajar light, So I went to the dealer and straight face it's not an issue, bring it back when the light comes back. So I got home and read your forum no surprise alot of people having this issue. So I called Ford Canada and put a complain about East Court Ford & Lincoln. So next day I get a call from the Service Manager to bring my car in so I drop it off, my car sits at the dealer ship all day i call around 5PM and they tell me they don't have the part. So I ask the Service Manager why would you ask me to drop the truck off if you didn't had the parts, makes up excuses and then asks me to drop it off again next day so I drop it off get it fixed only been 48 hours i will let you guys know if they actually fixed it or blew air into the damn latches to fix it. Thanks to you guys I knew what I needed to do to get this fixed. Keep up the good work.

I have the same issue with my 2011 Ford Edge, now has started with the passenger door, but my extended warranty has run out. Ford Canada refuses to take accountability for their defective part. It took me almost 5 visits to finally get the latch replaced on driver's side door (well at least they say the replaced it). I have my doubts to be honest.

Wow they really need to recall this one. Flower, I'm not sure Tricia can help you since you're in Canada but I'm sure she can direct you to whomever can help!

Update: we ended up giving my Edge to my sister-in-law last summer. About two weeks ago she started having the problem again, which now brings this to the third time this has happened. They seem to want to put these little band-aids on it rather than actually fix the issue I'm not sure why. I wish they would just replace the part! I directed her to take it to her dealer, it should be fully covered.

I just purchased a 2012 Edge Limited for my wife a Christmas present. The next week it had this issue. But the previous owner had told me they had it in the shop for this. They cleaned it and said it would probably have to be replaced soon. Spent $400 at the dealer yesterday. Hopefully it's good to go for a few years now.

This is a crock of $h!t problem Ford. I now have had TWO doors with this failure. The duty cycle for your part is woefully inadequate to the normal customer. Ripping people off for hundreds of dollars per door after the fact due to defective parts is making me stray from Ford on my next purchase :/ My wifes car just switched from Ford. Mine will be next.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I am aware. I was just ranting that a SECOND door has now had this issue. This is my work to home and back car so I'm generally the only one in it. The only reason the rear door duty cycle is higher than the passenger side doors is I open it to put my things in the car to go to work. As a result of this increased use it failed.

I took the first one apart and the thing isn't even serviceable. I note that the new part is now a "B" part so it means even they know something is wrong :/