2011 Edge limited Driver door ajar issue

Racerb0y

I have a 2011 Lincoln MK X premium package all-wheel-drive. I absolutely love this vehicle!!!! Huge complaint with driver side door ajar issue!! Unaware of this issue. I have been left stranded with a dead battery three times in the brutal winter. I've caught on when getting out of the car and locking it the interior and exterior lights won't turn off if the door sensor recognize the door is ajar. Even though the door completely closed. It's been so frustrating trying to get the door ajar to close I've literally had to crawl out of window or the passenger side to door to not disturb the driver door.

I had a 2008 Ford edge SEL all-wheel-drive, I got rid of the vehicle because of the gas tank recall which was a nightmare.

I purchased my Lincoln in November 2014 with 88,000 miles, I added the premium extended warranty bumper-to-bumper. In February or March of 2015 I had this issue addressed the first time. It cost me $100 deductible plus tax. Now less than a year later. The exact same issue is reoccurring. The Ford Lincoln dealership is telling me I may have to pay an addition deductible for them to fix the same issue. There are dozens of forums including this one with this complaint. Between the Edge and MXK THIS SHOULD BE A RECALL ATTHIS POINT.

Giving up on the sensor I've had to drive 100miles home with the dome light on.

My family is a devoted Ford loyal customer. Between my wife's 2012 Ford Focus transmission issue, the 08 Edge gas tank issue and now this door ajar complaint. We're quickly losing faith in the quality of Ford Lincoln craftsmanship and Ford Tough slogan.

I have a 2011 Lincoln MK X premium package all-wheel-drive. I absolutely love this vehicle!!!! Huge complaint with driver side door ajar issue!! Unaware of this issue. I have been left stranded with a dead battery three times in the brutal winter. I've caught on when getting out of the car and locking it the interior and exterior lights won't turn off if the door sensor recognize the door is ajar. Even though the door completely closed. It's been so frustrating trying to get the door ajar to close I've literally had to crawl out of window or the passenger side to door to not disturb the driver door.

I had a 2008 Ford edge SEL all-wheel-drive, I got rid of the vehicle because of the gas tank recall which was a nightmare.

I purchased my Lincoln in November 2014 with 88,000 miles, I added the premium extended warranty bumper-to-bumper. In February or March of 2015 I had this issue addressed the first time. It cost me $100 deductible plus tax. Now less than a year later. The exact same issue is reoccurring. The Ford Lincoln dealership is telling me I may have to pay an addition deductible for them to fix the same issue. There are dozens of forums including this one with this complaint. Between the Edge and MXK THIS SHOULD BE A RECALL ATTHIS POINT.

Giving up on the sensor I've had to drive 100miles home with the dome light on.

My family is a devoted Ford loyal customer. Between my wife's 2012 Ford Focus transmission issue, the 08 Edge gas tank issue and now this door ajar complaint. We're quickly losing faith in the quality of Ford Lincoln craftsmanship and Ford Tough slogan.

Ford states they’re doing a system shock treatment for the Door Ajar issue. If still not resolved they’ll replace the latch.

My MKX is at the Ford service department now. I confirmed the same shop replaced the latch mechanism April 2015.

Now it’s needs replacing January of 2016 again.

Ford stated there is a warranty of 2 years/ 24K miles on the door latch warranty. So that’s now covered.

But then the Service Advisor went on to tell me my battery is recommended to be replaced! I don’t feel I should have to pay for a new battery! Due to the issue the door ajar has weakened the battery, combined the fact the battery was new in November of 2014. thats only 14 months old!

Edited by Johnnyb2252

Good to know about the warranty having a definite span. Usually if you get the work done under warranty, your warranty expires, and the issue crops up again, you have to pay out of pocket to fix it. Now if you had already paid out of pocket for the latch replacement, then the 2 yr/xxxxx mileage (unlimited now, I believe) warranty applies.

That's for the factory warranty. I think the extended warranty is different and that's what he used for the first latch replacement.

Good to know about the warranty having a definite span. Usually if you get the work done under warranty, your warranty expires, and the issue crops up again, you have to pay out of pocket to fix it. Now if you had already paid out of pocket for the latch replacement, then the 2 yr/xxxxx mileage (unlimited now, I believe) warranty applies.

• Like 2

I will be picking up my MKX hopefully tomorrow (tuesday) morning.

I will get some clarify regarding the parts, service and warranty (extended or manuf) and share the details.

I hope to get a reimbursement from Ford motor co. once this is finally accepted and announced as a recall!

I will say on a very positive note the dealer I go to is awesome. Because I did purchase a Lincoln whenever I drop off my MKX for service I get a loaner car. I get the standard free state inspection and car wash. All are very much appreciated!

• 1 month later...

I took our 2012 Edge SEL to the dealer (Buckeye Ford, Sidney, Ohio) yesterday for the "door ajar" issue. They said they had to follow Ford's recommended "fix" which involved removing the latch assembly and cleaning the switch contacts. If it was to happen again they will replace the lock assembly. I though that if they already removed the lock assembly why not go ahead and replace it. This was also the view of the tech. Since I have EPP there was no cost to me, not ever the $50 deductible. This dealer has always treated me beyond my expectations and would recommend them for anyone in the east central Indiana or western Ohio area.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I too am having this issue - with the drivers door ajar warning light staying on after the door is completely shut, on my 2011 Edge Limited with around 60k miles. It's out of btb warranty and I didn't purchase the extended warranty

I'll send the ford servic person that's watching this thread a pm. I also submitted to safecar.gov

• 2 weeks later...

Does Tricia at Ford still monitor this thread? Her last post was about 10-months ago. I sent her a pm about 3-weeks ago and haven't got a response yet

Hi 56huck,

We're still here to assist with SYNC concerns; however, my Ford Service counterparts have temporarily stepped away from the forum. For now, please reach out to them by:

Phone: 1-800-392-FORD
Shaay
Edited by FordIVTteam
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have the solution.. I own a 2011 ford edge limited. the door ajar light started coming on and then gradually it would stay on.. I have a friend who was a Ford mechanic... He told me to spray the door latch with brake cleaner....yes, not WD40.. WD40 is oily and will attract dirt and make it worse. Use braked cleaner. So I sprayed the crap out of it with the brake cleaner and it worked. the light went out.. You do have to spray it periodically to keep it clean. It works !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I bought my edge last yr it is a 2011 so does the recall still include it?? I luv the car n it really was sad to hear that it'll cost $460. to replace it n my warranty and or other insurances that I got don't either. I feel like calling the Ford motor co. about this issue n recall. There's still so.many of us edge owners still dealing with this issue!

3 hours ago, Johanna Knuth said:

I bought my edge last yr it is a 2011 so does the recall still include it?? I luv the car n it really was sad to hear that it'll cost $460. to replace it n my warranty and or other insurances that I got don't either. I feel like calling the Ford motor co. about this issue n recall. There's still so.many of us edge owners still dealing with this issue!

It's not a recall so it's not going to be free.

10 hours ago, Johanna Knuth said:

I’m  not aware of any recall or extended warranty for this issue. We paid for our repair out of pocket - to replace the door ajar sensor on our 2011 Edge.  We haven’t had any issues since.  We did get a notice in the mail about a class action suit involving this and other common problems. We didn’t join the suit.