Dead Battery

Xcessive Carts

I went out to my 6 month old 2013 Edge SEL yesterday and couldnt unlock door via remote due to the fact that it had a Dead Battery. While waiting for a buddy to give me jump, I saw on the MFT screen BATTERY SAVER MODE flash then off, then SYNC did a System Maintenence Update. Not enough power to restart but MFT did its thing. Jumped it and noticed the battery indicator EYE was bright red. Dealer said it would keep the vehicle overnight and run a test on battery, then IF it fails, they will replace it. REALLY.... 7000 miles and 6 months old and the battery craps out? Nothing was left on, and I rarely ever have the radio on without the vehicle running.

• 9 months later...

Dear Sir; Ms:

Ā 

I own a 2013 Ford Edge which is a very nice Ford car SUV, but the damn battery goes dead every couple of days. Is there an electronic setting that should be in place to prevent the battery from going dead prematurely?

Ā 

Any other electronic characteristics?

Ā 

Am new to contemporary Ford vehicles and their advanced electronics.

Ā 

Thank you :)

Ā 

James

Ā 

abnjim6@gmail.com

Dear Sir; Ms:

Ā 

I own a 2013 Ford Edge which is a very nice Ford car SUV, but the damn battery goes dead every couple of days. Is there an electronic setting that should be in place to prevent the battery from going dead prematurely?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

James

Ā 

abnjim6@gmail.com

Dear Sir; Ms:

James

abnjim6@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

This all sounds familiar to me because I just got my 2013 edge back from the dealer after 23 days. Battery first went dead in august when it had 3000 miles and was 6 months old. Dealer checked it and said nothing wrong. Did it again about 45 days later, again nothing wrong (so I;m told). Dies again on dec 27th. Dealer tells me they did a software update and change battery. Dies again on January 2nd. Bring to dealer and at first he says can't find the problem.

Ā 

About 5 days after I brought it in Dealer tells me that it died while there. Says give him a couple of days. A few days later dealer can't find problem but it died again. Dealer says ford engineer is coming. A few days later I ask for update and I'm told engineer is to busy to come and they still don't have a fix. I notify ford via certified mail that they have 10 days to fix it or replace it VIA the Lemon Law. A ford Lawyer calls me and says the engineer will come. I finally get the truck back today 23 days after I brought it in and the day my 10 day demand Letter requires. Ford engineer did come a couple of days ago and determined that Body Control Module is not shutting off and drawing power when edge is parked. He also instructs another new battery to be put in and also a shift control module just incase. Just got it back 6 hours ago,so hoping for the best.

• Like 1

*** UPDATE****

Ā 

Got the truck back 6 days ago and today -- DEAD BATTERY--- back to dealer.. Called ford and a rude CSR offered no help, and want to give me the arbitration phone number.. Really I thought I was calling customer service... Waiting to here back from dealer

Ā 

Hey Scott Hennig,

Ā 

This certainly isn't the type of experience I want for you or any of my Ford Edge Forum friends. Send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll see what I can do.

Ā 

Todd

Truck has 4600 miles on it and is back at All American Ford in Hackensack nj. I know a case is open but nobody wants to call me back or discuss the options now that it has not been repaired. If I need to get an attorney I will but if I do I will no longer be a Ford Customer. IF the ford engineer you spent a day on site trying to fix it can't figure it out I guess no one can. All I want is It fixed and if not then I want a replacement. IF I have to go attorney route then it cost ford money when they have to write me and the attorney a check.

Ā 

Hey Scott Hennig,

Ā 

I sent you a PM; please let me know once you've received it. Also, delete the above message to protect your privacy.

Ā 

Todd

Edited by FordService

I have had the same issues with my 2013 Ford Edge. I have been dealing with this issue since May 2013 and am frankly getting fed up with dealing with the problem. I did not buy a brand new vehicle to have this many issues, let alone an unreliable vehicle. We have taken it to the dealer where we purchased the car along with paying extra money for their extended warranty. The dealer has replaced the battery twice now, but it's still going dead if it is not driven for 2-3 days. At one point when we took it to the dealer they had the nerve to tell my husband that I don't drive my car enough, and that it needs to be driven daily. They also had the nerve to say we were making it up. Great customer service, right? We just had it back to the dealer for the same issue, and of course they could find nothing wrong. Their service consultant did tell my husband that there is something wrong with it, but it is intermittent and doesn't happen while at the dealer. Therefore, they can't do anything about it. Let alone we had to rent a car as a loaner. Such great customer service, not! By the time we got it home, the touch screen had a message pop up saying "Battery Saver - System Off Please turn ignition off or start the engine." Also the warning light for the battery was on. I have also called Ford Motor Company and made 2 separate claims regarding this issue. The first time no one ever got back with me, and this last time the customer service manager was absolutely no help at all. My vehicle is now at another dealer for a second opinion. This is completely unacceptable, and all I want is my vehicle fixed or replaced due to the lemon law. It's also sad that I have been treated so poorly by the dealer where I purchased the vehicle as well as from the Ford Motor Company. I hope by posting this I can possibly get some help, otherwise I will be contacting legal representation.

I deleted my post. Can you delete my info in your post. I finally got to talk to a reasonable person toady at The Ford executive corporate office who is looking into my issue and trying to help me

Ā 

I sure can, and did! Thanks for the updates as well, Scott Hennig.

Ā 

I have had the same issues with my 2013 Ford Edge. I have been dealing with this issue since May 2013 and am frankly getting fed up with dealing with the problem. I did not buy a brand new vehicle to have this many issues, let alone an unreliable vehicle. We have taken it to the dealer where we purchased the car along with paying extra money for their extended warranty. The dealer has replaced the battery twice now, but it's still going dead if it is not driven for 2-3 days. At one point when we took it to the dealer they had the nerve to tell my husband that I don't drive my car enough, and that it needs to be driven daily. They also had the nerve to say we were making it up. Great customer service, right? We just had it back to the dealer for the same issue, and of course they could find nothing wrong. Their service consultant did tell my husband that there is something wrong with it, but it is intermittent and doesn't happen while at the dealer. Therefore, they can't do anything about it. Let alone we had to rent a car as a loaner. Such great customer service, not! By the time we got it home, the touch screen had a message pop up saying "Battery Saver - System Off Please turn ignition off or start the engine." Also the warning light for the battery was on. I have also called Ford Motor Company and made 2 separate claims regarding this issue. The first time no one ever got back with me, and this last time the customer service manager was absolutely no help at all. My vehicle is now at another dealer for a second opinion. This is completely unacceptable, and all I want is my vehicle fixed or replaced due to the lemon law. It's also sad that I have been treated so poorly by the dealer where I purchased the vehicle as well as from the Ford Motor Company. I hope by posting this I can possibly get some help, otherwise I will be contacting legal representation.

Ā 

Hey sharafink,

Ā 

Welcome to the forum! I'm Todd, the Ford Service rep. that'll be hanging around for the duration of your stay. I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to come to a solution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Ā 

Todd

We are having the exact same issue. Bought the Edge in the second week of September 2013, by the third week of December, got the "Battery Saver - System Off. Please turn ignition off or start the engine." Then the low battery warning. They said the battery passed the check, but they replaced the battery, reset the battery monitor system (BMS), and cleared the codes.

Ā 

Yesterday, seven weeks later (almost to the day), the same battery saver warning then low battery warning. Immediately drove it to the dealership and told them the problem. They claimed there was nothing in Ford technical bulletins, which I would like to believe, but find it nearly impossible, since there is so much on the Internet I've discovered. It seems Ford has an issue. Here is just one example of something I found:

Ā 

http://www.vehicleservicepros.com/blog/10848537/rumors-about-2013-fords-electrical-problems-for-diagnosing-repairs

Ā 

The dealer we purchased the car from has a very good reputation for customer service, so we have our fingers crossed they will do the right thing prior to the Lemon Law procedure. In everything I've read about this issue it seems that there has never been a "fix." I am hoping they will offer us a way out prior to Lemon Law. It is our only car ... we're in our 60's and can't be stranded with a dead battery in the dark in Northeast cold.

Ā 

We loved our Edge, but I am frightened by this issue and would be very hesitant to try Ford again. I really hope Ford isn't avoiding or denying this issue ... and that they would expedite a fix. I sooo want to keep the Edge, because we loved the way the car handled, etc., but if it doesn't work reliably, what's the point? Having the dealer reimburse us for it, might be the only way we will sleep at night. We bought a new car, so we wouldn't get into reliability issues with our 7-year Jeep Grand Cherokee. Had many Jeeps and never had a dead battery ... whether we drove every day or not. Sheesh!

Ā 

Does anyone know if the 2014 Edges / Fords are experiencing the same problem?

And just think.. I'm told that Ford has never seen this issue before and can't seem to fix it. So far the dealer has had it for 35 days ( and counting, it's there now). The Ford Engineer has spent 2 days already at the dealer looking at it, and he is due in tomorrow as well. Ford is currently reviewing the issue at corporate office for a buy back. They can either fix it once and for all or give me a new one. I'm losing my patience with this . I have had to rescue my wife 5 times already with a dead battery, and they battery has died at the dealership 3 times ( that I know of). There is no doubt that I have a Lemon Law case, and all that's left to be decided is if Ford will do the right thing on their own or If I will have to make them do the right thing. If they do the right thing on there own I will remain a Ford customer and It will be less costly for them. IF I have to make them do it, then they can right me a check and I will move on to another brand.

Ā 

Keeping my fingers crossed that we all get to enjoy the Edge we spent our $$$$ On.

Wow! Hearing the last part of your story, Scott ... and the other stories ... convinces me that Ford and the representative dealerships are hoping this issue goes away before they have a fix. Because they sure aren't acknowledging it.

Ā 

My plan is to escalate to the the dealership owner tomorrow, before they tell me that they can't find anything, or they say "let's try this" ... only to drive out and have a dead battery in another week. Based on what I am reading, I am convinced they can't fix it and we, too, have a lemon. I insisted on a better loaner, rather than the Focus they were going to give me when I left there yesterday, so now we have an Explorer, which I feel safe in winter driving.

Ā 

I am not going to give it back just to have one of us or both us stranded. We don't have another car, so we're stuck with nothing to rescue the other in. I don't think people realize how disturbing it is to have a totally unreliable vehicle that you just bought and are making payments on. I am not giving them their loaner back until I talk to the dealership owner, who luckily gives out her phone number. She is female friendly so I am hoping she understands how it feels for two women to have one car that can strand them at any moment.

Ā 

I am saving the things I find on the Internet to share with with her.

Ā 

Please everyone keep us posted on how your situation gets resolved. There is strength in numbers!

Edited by WHaylett

Does anyone know how to start/register an issue directly with Ford?

Ā 

My Edge is currently in the service department the third time for the low battery warning / battery drain issue. The first time (2 months after purchase), they charged it, checked the battery and it tested OK, and sent me on my way. I booked an appointment for another service call 5 days later, because they were shaking their heads and I wanted them to do a deeper dive. During those 5 days, got the battery saver message again.

Ā 

When I took it in for the scheduled appointment on a Saturday, they couldn't find anything after keeping it over the weekend, so they replaced the battery anyway.

Ā 

But 7 weeks later, again the batter saver message immediately followed by the low battery message. It's been in the service department since Saturday (it's now Tuesday) and I just talked to the service advisor and they are still clueless. I listed many of the potential modules to check, after researching multiple threads on various Ford vehicles. He took notes.

Ā 

I need to get this on record with Ford so maybe they can push the fix a bit ... plus we are dangling precariously close to the 4 strikes of the Lemon Law.

Ā 

If anyone can tell me how to contact Ford about this, I would appreciate it.

Ā 

Thanks!