NEW Photos & Movie Trailer - EDGE-2 Next GEN Daytime Running Lights

I'm sure this will be asked at some point so I'll throw it out there. Will these be able to be used on vehicles that use the headlights as DRL?

My headlights are always on. Does that mean that the new Edge2 lights will never be on at 100%. My Edge runs the headlights at 10 volts during the day and 13 volts at night.

I'm sure this will be asked at some point so I'll throw it out there. Will these be able to be used on vehicles that use the headlights as DRL?

My headlights are always on. Does that mean that the new Edge2 lights will never be on at 100%. My Edge runs the headlights at 10 volts during the day and 13 volts at night.

The trigger wire controlling the EDGE-2 dimming function does not connect to the wire that powers the DRL headlights. It connects to the headlight wire that is only energized when the true headlights (100%) are activated (either manually or by auto-on). So you won't have to worry about the EDGE-2s being at 70% all the time.

Fun, you want fun? I'm still making the good fight to find out why we are living in the last place on earth without the requirement that our rear signal lights be amber and not red. The latest study shows a significant reduction in rear accidents with such rear signal lamps.

But the US and Canada do have a definition of white, and many of the after market HID kits and hid style filament bulbs fall outside of the regulatory definition of white. Too blue a light color has been associated with higher levels of glare complaints. This is the basis for my question. (Yes, I used to be a regulatory attorney for the government, don't tell anyone).

Feirstein, you make a good observation about the blue in headlights. The human eye is more sensitive to blue than true white or yellow, so the eye is naturally drawn to blue more than the other colors. So if blue white and yellow are added to equal light sources, blue will appear brighter to the eye causing retinas to constrict, eyelids squint and pain/irritation set. Add more blue, get more perceived brightness. Now add in the contrast of bright light against the darkness of night and eye irritation increases even more.

This leads me to share that adding a bit blue to the LEDs in daytime running lights is a key component. The primary purpose of a DRL is to draw the attention of other drivers to your car by causing glare (intense appearance of brightness). The light coming from a DRL needs to appear inherently unnatural compared to obects and surfaces reflecting natural sunlight. So guess what? You now have added contrast..... Brightness plus contrast equals unbalance, unusual, out-of-the-ordinary. But more importantly it also equals Attention, Conspicuous, Noticed, "hey I'm here, don't run into me." Ok. I'm done.

Uh, the headlight bulb has 2 wires. A +12V and a ground.

Uh, not sure where you read "headlight bulb" wire. But, you're right. There are only 2 wires going to the headlight bulb itself, but no one mentioned using them for the trigger wire. There is a wire harness that plugs into the back of the headlight housing which has 6 wires. Not sure if there are more on the DRL headlights, but that doesn't matter, the same wire position is used for the true (non DRL) headlight power. Here are a couple of photos I pulled from my EDGE-1 DRL installation instructions.

e4f210ea-5d6b-4ebd-b54f-69bc2d31e7f0_zps

BrownandGreenWireLocation_zpsbd237f75.jp

I just had a quick peek at the headlight wiring. I'll confirm what does what once I can wash under the hood and meter some connections.

There are only 4 wires going into the headlight assembly. Ground and 3 hots. Once inside the assembly, the ground wire is paralleled into 3 grounds. Each ground pairs off with a hot to power the following:

1) Headlamp

2) Side marker lamp

3) Shutter

So unless I'm missing something, there is no way to differentiate between DRL and ON headlight operation. The voltage difference is handled by electronics, not a separate wire.

I definitely want a set of these so if you need me to test something specific pertaining to Canadian or headlight DRL models, let me know. The vertical light pipes do have a day night setting associated with them so I'm not sure if that could be used.

Hey Norm. Great to hear from you. Been a long time, my friend. I would be grateful for any help you can give to come up with the best method for the headlights DRL trigger wire connection.

Would you walk me through what you mean by the stock vertical lights having a day/night setting. Not recalling this type of function. Thanks!

It's been a while since I parked in front of a glass store front window and played with the lights but if memory serves me correctly, the stock lite pipe is full brightness during the day and dimmed at night. I haven't looked at the plug on those to see if they are 2 wire or 3. I assume they are like the headlights and some electronics limit the voltage to dim them.

I'll be working on the Edge on the weekend. I'll see what I can discover and let you know. I'll gladly test a set for you and won't charge you a thing. lol

• Like 1

Thanks Norm for confirming the Candian Edge OEM accent light pipes work the same as the US Edge. So, the stock accent light pipe on all North American Edges, ONLY turn on when the parking or headlights are turned on. The acceent lights do not function automatically or independent of the parking lights or headlights, nor do they turn on with the Edge's DRL system (headlights or amber parking lights)

Edited by kc300c
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When are these shipping I am going out of town for 30 days and hope these reach me before I leave

Due to a delay with the manufacturer, the first shipment has been delayed until the week of the 24th. To help speed up the delay, Dan has paid to air ship the entire first order to get it to you faster. We definitely appreciate your patience as we ensure the best product available gets to your doorstep.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rusty, so here is the update we have right now.

The EDGE-2s are in final production and Dan is Skyping with the manufacturer to settle the ship date. As Dan stated before, he is air lifting the order and is shooting to get products shipped to customers by this weekend. There should be another update tonight by myself or Dan on what came of the call. Also, Dan has received a sample of the final product and it looks great! Expect some more pictures in the near future.

Hope this satisfies your question. :)

• Like 1

Hey JW. I did get your order for the EDGE-2s. Sorry for the delay in replying. Things have been crazy around here.

I'm trying to get the email message below out to everyone about the status of order shipments.

Email:
The EDGE-2 shipment arrived at Chicago O'Hare airport last night. My shipping logistics company tells me that US Customs should clear it on Monday, but could be Tuesday. The lights will then be trucked to me in Kansas City by the middle of the week. As soon as the shipment arrives, orders will be filled and your tracking number will be emailed to you for your specific order shipment. Delivery will take 2-3 days for US addresses and 6-10 days for non-US addresses.

I have attached two photos, one of the cartons contained in the shipment that arrived tonight and the other of the actual production unit that was next-day air shipped to me earlier this week. Note the actual production version of the clear LED light bar covering the amber turn signal LEDs. It looks great and the amber LEDs perform even better than I anticipated.

Thanks again for your patience. The finish line is finally within sight.

FirstProductionUnit_zps7c40c5cd.jpg

PhotoOfGoods_zps20e33b60.jpg

Edited by kc300c