Fog light bezel removal and refinish

Hi everyone,

Just competed a small job of refinishing my 2007 Edge fog light bezels. They got really worn after over 130,000 km, and I decided to give them a new look.

I found very little information about how to remove the bezels, so I had to work it out myself. So here is a very simple way to snap out the bezels with no tools at all:

8897571210_32e511dc6e_o.jpg
I took the picture after I replaced the refinished bezel, so it's black, not chrome.

Note the yellow circles in the picture above - they mark the places where two protruding tabs on the back of the bezel hold it in place. There are no such tabs on the opposite side of the bezel.

Now all you need to remove the bezel is strong fingers.

Press on the bumper as show by the red arrow. You'll have to press very hard. No worries - bumper plastic is rigid though flexible, there's no chance of breaking it this way.

If you press really hard, you'll make the gap wide enough to grab the edge of the bezel (marked green on the picture) with your bare fingers. Be careful not to release the pressure until you pry out the bezel or withdraw the fingers from the gap, or it'll squeeze really hard. Having grabbed the edge of the bezel, just jerk that side out towards you, and you're done.

Here's a closeup of how it looked before:

8881574752_6295c542c1_o.jpg

And here's how it looks now:

8881574404_dc33edd23e_o.jpg
8897721628_a05c93b8eb.jpg
8897166837_46943763ab_o.jpg
Refinish was very simple: just light sanding with dremel to smooth out the dents, washing and cleaning the surface, then applying 4 coats of black plasti dip.
Edited by Maus
  • Like 2

Great idea. Can you get at the bulbs using this method? I want to swap the stock halogens for HIDs. Thanks for the great tip!

Yes, you have full access to the bulbs. I have a couple of pictures to illustrate - please let know if you'd like to take a look, and I'll post them.

Please post 'em. I'm sure every first generation is interested.

Here you go:

iXYYMFoKvNPU3.jpg

Just squeeze the tabs as shown by the red arrows, and the right side goes out towards you. Then work the entire assembly a little bit to the right, and the left-hand clamp will disengage easily, allowing the bulb assembly to be pulled out completely as far as the wire goes.

The piece sits tight in its place, and there's not too much space for moving it either side, but when you try it, you'll see how to do it right.

I found the wiring loose enough to pull out the bulb and have full access to the connector. I also noticed that the the two fog light pieces are not symmetrical - they both have release tabs on the right-hand side.

• 2 weeks later...

my PD refinish

Great job! Front grille is the next on my todo list.

Did you modify the headlights yourself, or it is an aftermarket piece?

I like your taillights (found in the photo album) too. Did you post the detailed modding guide anywhere?

• Like 1

You can buy those head lights. I, too, want to know how he did his tails. A guy on here offered to do them, but for a price, of course. I need to do my grille/bezels, but I think I'm going to go with a glossy gunmetal PD, since my Edge is Ink Blue. Didn't think black would go to well.

Edited by wannabang

dude........I've been soo swamped...I have no time to write guides...i'm also working on my g35...didn't want to post pics of it in fear of being flamed for it being non ford..lol

the lights are aftermarket..runs like 250-280 depending on the finish..i just stuck my Nightvision HIDS in ..the grille I did myself with good ole PD...LOVE that stuff.....

the taillights are a work in progress....slowly piecing them together