Throttle Body Service or Failure

Maavalous1

I created this topic because I wanted to help people and prevent injury and death. I am always grateful to hear someone had the problem and lived to post about it here. I am not so grateful to Ford for ignoring and deflecting the issue.

So, I'd like to update everyone with several facts and hopes that we can get Ford to be a big boy and admit they have a problem and fix it.

So...

1) Do NOT fall for the lies from the dealer that I was given, "Oh, you just need to have the TB cleaned every oil change. Only $30 extra." This is a defect in the electronics package (black box) on the TB. The TB itself is fine and cleaning it will NOT solve the problem.

2) It is VERY likely that someone has been injured or even killed by this issue. Think about it, how would the investigators pick that needle out of a car wreck haystack? The diagnostics reset if the vehicle is restarted normally and a totaled car doesn't yell "It was my throttle body that caused the wreck." PLEASE! Do NOT relax because you haven't heard of something terrible happening... I am certain it has and I or you might be next.

3) North Carolina won, sort of, a complaint against Ford for this issue related to automobiles. Sadly, the Edge is technically under the truck division so Ford danced around this. But, the NHTSA didn't go near far enough and dropped the ball on this one. All they got was an extension of the warranty to 150,000 miles on select models. Not the Edge or any truck unit vehicles.

4) It is a pretty sad statement when one of the worst auto manufacturers in the world, Fiat, shows Ford up. They issued a recall for 410,000 vehicles affected by a wiring issue that... wait for it... caused loss of power and stalling. It can't get much sadder than seeing Fiat take better care of their loyal customers than Ford :O(

You CAN make a difference. Go to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) site under Vehicle Owners and file a complaint. Sorry, I don't seem to be able to post links here for some reason. Use safercar.gov

There is also a class action lawsuit being prepared by the law firm of Baron and Budd. Google for it and contact them as well.

We CAN make a difference if we raise our voices. Please... be safe out there.

• Like 1

I created this topic because I wanted to help people and prevent injury and death. I am always grateful to hear someone had the problem and lived to post about it here. I am not so grateful to Ford for ignoring and deflecting the issue.

So, I'd like to update everyone with several facts and hopes that we can get Ford to be a big boy and admit they have a problem and fix it.

So...

1) Do NOT fall for the lies from the dealer that I was given, "Oh, you just need to have the TB cleaned every oil change. Only $30 extra." This is a defect in the electronics package (black box) on the TB. The TB itself is fine and cleaning it will NOT solve the problem.

2) It is VERY likely that someone has been injured or even killed by this issue. Think about it, how would the investigators pick that needle out of a car wreck haystack? The diagnostics reset if the vehicle is restarted normally and a totaled car doesn't yell "It was my throttle body that caused the wreck." PLEASE! Do NOT relax because you haven't heard of something terrible happening... I am certain it has and I or you might be next.

3) North Carolina won, sort of, a complaint against Ford for this issue related to automobiles. Sadly, the Edge is technically under the truck division so Ford danced around this. But, the NHTSA didn't go near far enough and dropped the ball on this one. All they got was an extension of the warranty to 150,000 miles on select models. Not the Edge or any truck unit vehicles.

4) It is a pretty sad statement when one of the worst auto manufacturers in the world, Fiat, shows Ford up. They issued a recall for 410,000 vehicles affected by a wiring issue that... wait for it... caused loss of power and stalling. It can't get much sadder than seeing Fiat take better care of their loyal customers than Ford :O(

You CAN make a difference. Go to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) site under Vehicle Owners and file a complaint. Sorry, I don't seem to be able to post links here for some reason. Use safercar.gov

There is also a class action lawsuit being prepared by the law firm of Baron and Budd. Google for it and contact them as well.

We CAN make a difference if we raise our voices. Please... be safe out there.

Thank you so much for making an effort to alert fellow edge owners! I have already filed a complain with NHTSA right after i got home. I tried to made the rep aware that there are tons of similar cases already filed and they really should investigate before someone got serious injuried. The service ppl at my dealership seems to know this issue, i hope they will change the faulty TB quick next week. If they deny, i will show them the video i took when the edge fail. Thank you all again and I will post updates next week!

Edited by Buuls eye

UPDATES! Dealer replaced my TB, the part number is AT4Z-9E926-B. Gotta give credit to Ryan Ford down here in Sealy,TX! They went the extra mile when they couldnt pull the code, they actually tried to reproduce it and got a code of P2112 then promptly replace it within 2 hrs! Awesome dealership for ppl in Houston,TX! I hope this will fix the issue for good.

• Like 1

UPDATES! Dealer replaced my TB, the part number is AT4Z-9E926-B. Gotta give credit to Ryan Ford down here in Sealy,TX! They went the extra mile when they couldnt pull the code, they actually tried to reproduce it and got a code of P2112 then promptly replace it within 2 hrs! Awesome dealership for ppl in Houston,TX! I hope this will fix the issue for good.

Would you please add this update post to your post here: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/20948-second-gen-2015-16-35-throttle-body-failure-report-thread/

Thanks

What would this cost to replace if out of warranty?

Just wondering

You would have to check with your local dealer for parts price last time i check was about $400 from dealer. But this is a very easy job most DIYerscan get this done within half an hour. Its just happened that my car is still under warranty so i let my dealer do it.

Are there anyone out there has a fail TB but replaced a new one by yourself? I really want to take a look at the failed part to see what went wrong inside. I suspect either the seal inside the electronic module circuit board is not strong enough to hold off moisture causing the circut board to corrode and eventually failed or the plate simply stuck open due to the DC motor malfunctioning.

Below is a post I posted a few days ago but in a different forum subject...but it needs to be posted here.

It concerns a 2016 Ford Edge, a 3.5 V6 with 9,744 miles on it. The car had 3 failures with the wrench

light on. The following day the car was driven a few hundred miles, without incident, to get to a dealer.

Prior to arriving at the dealer I had the code read...it was a P2111. The part # on the workorder was AT4Z 9E926B

"Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:42 PM

Ford started "fly-by- wire" in 2004. Through the years there have been some problems with the fly-by-wire ETB (Electronic Throttle Body). The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) did a year long investigation on these failures and determined that the problem did not require a safety recall. Ford is providing an extended warranty for these ETB's thru January 31, 2015. Moving on...I own a 2016 Ford Edge....9,744 miles on Aug 2, 2016...my ETB was replaced after 3 failures with a DTC of P2111...Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open....It seems to me this problem still exists. Anybody injured yet...or worse?"

My 2013 Ford Edge 79,000 miles just failed yesterday. I was driving around 60mph down the hwy and the flashing orange light with wrench in it came on. No acceleration it just lost power. I put it into N and coasted into the nearest driveway. The car was still idling but no acceleration what so ever. I put it in park and pushed the gas in and it just got real rough idle and almost died. I just shut it off for about 10 seconds. Started it back up and good as new. Drove it home 20 miles with no problems yet. Should I take it in for the throttle body or wait and see what happens. I cant have this car quitting on my wife in the road.

Do you have warranty coverage? Since there is no recall for the throttle body, this would like be an outofpocket expense for you at this time. I would get a new throttle body and selfinstall, since it is pretty easy. Just document whatever expenses you incur for the replacement. I am guessing there is no code in the PCM because it will reset with a successful restart, but worth a check anyway. If you have a "friendly" dealer, you should call and ask for advice on what to do, and the obvious safety risk you feel with the unresolved issue.

You could also call Ford National Customer Service to register the situation, and look to them for solutions. Maybe they will be willing to help, maybe not. But you will have established a record of the event having happened. Also register it on nhtsa.org if you want.

Do you have warranty coverage? Since there is no recall for the throttle body, this would like be an outofpocket expense for you at this time. I would get a new throttle body and selfinstall, since it is pretty easy. Just document whatever expenses you incur for the replacement. I am guessing there is no code in the PCM because it will reset with a successful restart, but worth a check anyway. If you have a "friendly" dealer, you should call and ask for advice on what to do, and the obvious safety risk you feel with the unresolved issue.

You could also call Ford National Customer Service to register the situation, and look to them for solutions. Maybe they will be willing to help, maybe not. But you will have established a record of the event having happened. Also register it on nhtsa.org if you want.

No I do not have warranty coverage. I will call them first thing in the morning. Thanks for the info.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to add in our experience. This summer we bought our new 2016 Ford Edge 3.5L SEL. Fast forward a month later and the car died when going from reverse to drive. The dash warning that came up said Full Accessory Power Active. I was a bit panicked as I had backed out of a driveway when this happened but after a few moments pressed the brake, turned car off and back on and it worked to get me home. We had the car towed as we lost faith in its safety after doing some reading about this happening when people are driving. I don't know the exact code that came up when it was at the dealer but they replaced the throttle body. We had about 2500km on the car at that point. No issues since, we love the car and are slowly building up our confidence again in it.

Just wanted to add in our experience. This summer we bought our new 2016 Ford Edge 3.5L SEL. Fast forward a month later and the car died when going from reverse to drive. The dash warning that came up said Full Accessory Power Active. I was a bit panicked as I had backed out of a driveway when this happened but after a few moments pressed the brake, turned car off and back on and it worked to get me home. We had the car towed as we lost faith in its safety after doing some reading about this happening when people are driving. I don't know the exact code that came up when it was at the dealer but they replaced the throttle body. We had about 2500km on the car at that point. No issues since, we love the car and are slowly building up our confidence again in it.

Please add your experience here also: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/20948-second-gen-2015-16-35-throttle-body-failure-report-thread/

Edited by Chipster

• 2 months later...

Hello

I have a 2012 Ford Edge that has been nothing but problems. The Edge has 53K miles on it. I've only owned it for a year a half and was probably the worst purchase of my life.

First Issue: The SYNC will go on and off for weeks at a time. The dealership just informed me that I can bring it in tomorrow and they will do an update. I told them, however, that at this current time the sync is functioning correctly so who knows if they'll even do anything. It will go out I'm sure in another week as it has been. In previous attempts to have it serviced it would always turn back on before I had a chance to take it in. Ive been told when I called before there's nothing they can do about it.

Second Issue: Power Steering leak that I had fixed 3 months ago. Cost $300+

Third Issue: Break booster. The car feels as though it's not going to stop at some points. The break becomes very hard to push on. The dealer also told me they will fix that issue tomorrow when I bring it in.

Final (And most important) Issue: THE BAD THROTTLE BODY. After doing research this car clearly has the same bad throttle body as other Ford makes. It does the neutral feeling when it happens and the car will not drive. It seems to shut off. I have been able to shut it off and turn it back on and the issue has been fixed each time luckily. This has not happened to me while driving fast, YET, but I'm sure its soon to come. Also getting terrible gas mileage, which Ive read is a product of the bad throttle body.

I called the dealership I bought the car from and told them that since I've owned this vehicle it's been issue after issue, but the most important to me is the cars throttle body. He told me there's no warranty for it and I'll be forced to pay out of pocket to have it fixed. They will charge me $150 to do a diagnostic to even tell me it's the throttle body before they fixed it.

Honestly just thinking about trading it in and never buying a Ford again. It's to bad to because everyone comments on how nice the Edge is when I am driving but I have to tell them about the never ending list of problems...

The SYNC issue may be an APIM issue which has an extended Ford warranty under their Customer Satisfaction Program.

The throttle body issue will set a code in the PCM (the computer) that unfortunately resets with a restart. Next time that happens, have your Edge towed to the dealership. OR, since the throttle body is so cheap, buy it and replace yourself or have a trusted mechanic (non-dealership) or friend replace it. It is very simple to do. That way you have peace of mind right off the bat.

The power steering issue seems to the the odd one out of the lot on your list. Really not bad (except TB) at all. I just hope the door latch issue keeps its' distance!