Throttle Body Service or Failure

Maavalous1

By any chance ford put the updated TB on Edge that are made toward the end of 2015? My 2015 Edge has about 5000 miles on it now and no issue so far ( i hope it stays that way). Does anyone know the part number for the updated TB so we could check the one we had to see if wheter or not we have the updated one? Thanks!

Have we had any 2016's with this issue reported? I went through this issue with a 2010 Fusion (along with a lot of other owners) I bought a new TB from a Ford dealer on Amazon for little more than $100. Some months later Ford sent out a TSB on the issue and reimbursed me for the part expense and also reflashed the ECM. The car drove fine after the TB was replaced.

Although it is early yet for 2016 models to have issues, 2015 models are having the issue. And, GM vehicles using the same TB are having tons of issues. In case you were unaware, Ford and GM use the same drivetrains for a number of vehicles. Minor differences but really minor. They have outsourced a ton of their production and often buy from the same supplier. So, before you think Ford or GM is better than the other... think again... parts are made in the same factory.

The model of TB doesn't really matter as it's NOT the TB that is the problem it is the electronic black box on the side of the TB.

This is a WELL KNOWN problem generating a LOT of $$$ for Ford and GM. North Carolina sued Ford last year and all they could get was an extension of the warranty on the TB to 150k miles for specific vehicles. Sadly, the Edge is not one of them. Ford can afford much better lawyers than the common folk.

Two big money makers for Ford are the TB and the door latch so why would they do anything to fix them? I had a Nissan that went 175k without the TB being touched. Funny... must have been something wrong with their design, it just worked.

Although it is early yet for 2016 models to have issues, 2015 models are having the issue. And, GM vehicles using the same TB are having tons of issues. In case you were unaware, Ford and GM use the same drivetrains for a number of vehicles. Minor differences but really minor. They have outsourced a ton of their production and often buy from the same supplier. So, before you think Ford or GM is better than the other... think again... parts are made in the same factory.

The model of TB doesn't really matter as it's NOT the TB that is the problem it is the electronic black box on the side of the TB.

This is a WELL KNOWN problem generating a LOT of $$$ for Ford and GM. North Carolina sued Ford last year and all they could get was an extension of the warranty on the TB to 150k miles for specific vehicles. Sadly, the Edge is not one of them. Ford can afford much better lawyers than the common folk.

Two big money makers for Ford are the TB and the door latch so why would they do anything to fix them? I had a Nissan that went 175k without the TB being touched. Funny... must have been something wrong with their design, it just worked.

Ford and GM do not share engines at all. Even the 6F trannies that were co developed are different.

And I don't know where you got the idea that Ford makes money on bad parts but they don't. Ford has to spend a lot of money on warranty repairs - parts and labor. The dealer gets the labor but the dealer isn't Ford.

Wow thanks everyone for the replys! I will check the part number on my TB tonight. I have done some research and so far I lean toward the electronic control module circut board corrosion theory. I have seen a youtube video yesterday for a ford transit TB (not the same as edge but close) fail and by opening up the electronic control module box he can see nasty corrosion on the circut board which of cause will lead to the malfuntion of the electronic control module. @Todd the ford service rep, it will be a win win if Ford come forward and let customer know what is going on and lay out a plan on how to resolve this safty issue instead of keeping everyone in the dark.

For a Moderator to troll the forum is not cool.

Yes, the parts are "different" just as an ATT Galaxy phone is "different" from a Verizon Galaxy phone.

You clearly have no real understanding of the auto industry if you think that 1) manufacturers don't depend on parts for a huge part of their profit 2) that the dealers "are not Ford".

Reality is the TB and door latch are completely fixable problems. There is NO excuse for them to fail at the rate they fail for the YEARS they have been failing. Only one explanation... $$$ And the courts seem to agree with me.

Sigh... troll on...

If you have ever sold new cars you already know that you sell a car three times. First you sell the car off the showroom floor, second you sell the car through financing and third, you sell the car through parts.

All parts fail, only a question of time and circumstance. The door switches have been a source of headache, but only a small percentage of cars have failures. Same with tb. Why do some fail early and others go the life of the car?

• Like 1

I'm not disputing that money is made on parts replacement but Ford has to eat the cost (parts and labor) for a warranty replacement. In turn they may charge the supplier for some or all of that cost depending on the supplier contract. So even if Ford made some money from non-warranty parts replacement you have to factor in the additional warranty costs. I don't think this is a business goal.

You're correct that the reason Ford may not be moving fast enough to re-engineer some of these parts (or not doing it at all) is $$$ but it's the cost involved in re-engineering the part not the revenue they may or may not be getting from parts replacement.

There are dozens of examples of Ford re-engineering parts to address problems. They just don't seem to do it all the time.

And you can say all day long that Ford is the dealer and the dealer is Ford but nothing could be further from the truth and we have state laws that say so.

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't know this problem existed until today. Our "late year" 2015 SEL, 3.5L , has 11,500 miles on it. Last night I had to limp home between faults. When fault would occur wrench would illuminate in left LED, all throttle response was lost and idle was very rough. Apparently when you shut down engine the ETB resets itself. In my 40 mile trip it faulted 5 times!

Contacted my dealer this morning, he right away mentioned the ETB as the most likely problem. He said a bigger problem is getting the replacement part as many are on back order.

Any experience out there on how long it takes to get back ordered ETB?

Wow, I didn't know this problem existed until today. Our "late year" 2015 SEL, 3.5L , has 11,500 miles on it. Last night I had to limp home between faults. When fault would occur wrench would illuminate in left LED, all throttle response was lost and idle was very rough. Apparently when you shut down engine the ETB resets itself. In my 40 mile trip it faulted 5 times!

Contacted my dealer this morning, he right away mentioned the ETB as the most likely problem. He said a bigger problem is getting the replacement part as many are on back order.

Any experience out there on how long it takes to get back ordered ETB?

• Like 1

Crimsontidetom, sorry this happened to you. Could you post the part number of the newly replace TB when you got the vehicle back? I am thinking of just go ahead and have it replaced with the new part instead of waiting it to go bad because my wife drives it most of the time to take my daughter to school. Thanks!

Mine failed yesterday on a mahor free way during rush hour with 5111 miles on it. It went to limp mode, no matter how hard i step onthe gas, it will not go above 15 mph. Scheduled to be in service next Wednesday. The buld date on my edge is 12/09/2015. Stalling on a major freeway is not fun.