Throttle Body Service or Failure

Maavalous1

Mine just started stalling out one day. It would die, followed by the wrench, and was still running, but barely, and quite rough. When I'd shut it down and restart it, it purred like a kitten, and then I could drive another 60-300 feet and it would do it again. In the 3 miles home, it stopped 16 times. I pulled the codes and had a P2111 and a P2112. I called the dealer and offered to remove the TB, take it there, and swap it out, but they said that warranty would only cover it if they swapped it. I had Ford roadside assistance tow it there, it was swapped, and I was out of there. Less than 2 hours from initial malfunction to back in my driveway, including the tow.

20131019_135656_zps56696c40.jpg

Edited by Dingo
  • Like 1

Update:

Got my Edge back today......so far I have noticed a 100% improvement. I asked the service guys about this issue and they stated that there is currently a service bulletin out for the issue and those coming through are being replaced with updated models. I am sure as more 2013 models hit the 20 to 30k mark there will be a surge of problems, maybe then they will do a recall.

Also , wanted to add as far as my symptoms go...........I am an anal retentive freak about car issues/ticks etc. and I notice every single little thing that my spouse nor the dealership can ever pick up on. Most of the time they tell me its nothing and then find a major problem after I continue to bring it in, such as this one. Because of this, I can see how easily it would be for most of these symptoms to go unnoticed until the throttle body just completely fails. Tell tale sign for me was the poor shift and loss of MPG.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had mine replaced today... 2012 Limited @ 24,000 miles. I had the same symptoms as Dingo.

Happened 2 times on me, first time was about a week ago. Driving at 65MPH my Edge just felt super heavy, like the wind was slowing us down, then all of a sudden the wrench warning light came on and it just stopped accelerating. I was able to pull over quick, before doing so my Edge started to shake, I had just filled it up and assumed it was bad gas. It was a Sunday, late in the evening, couldn't call the dealer. So, I shut it off, gave it a few minutes and started back up just fine. Ran great up until two days ago, started doing the same. Wasn't going faster than 15mph and it got all shaky, and the wrench light came on. Called the dealer, and he told me it was the throttle. Told me to shut it off, give it a few seconds to reset everything and to bring it in first thing Monday morning.

Took it in this morning and 3 hours later they called me and said it was ready. They replaced it with a new one, using the reason that the original was in "bad condition" I asked if it had been perhaps due to bad gas, but they said nope. But I'm assuming they have changed out a few since I'm reading that there is a shortage of them in the US and here in Puerto Rico I got the work done pretty quick.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

A little late to the conversation, but thank you all so far for the information provided here.

My car as well has had this happen twice in the last 2 weeks. Both times were on the highway, both times we were going about 110 km/h when suddenly the car would begin to shake, and the check engine light would come on. Then the car would begin to decelerate, both times I was fortunate enough to swerve into the emergency lane, however I wouldn't have been that lucky if it was during rush hour.

As of now it's still in the dealership, and as they can't duplicate anything, they're telling us that in a few hours we might need to take it home.

The mechanic said he "thinks" it's the throttle body, but they are unable to do anything unless they're sure. Everything should still be under warranty as the car was purchased on Feb 28th 2011, if that matters at all. It's a 2011 SEL AWD with only about 30,000 km on it. Has anyone been having any luck with their dealership? Especially the ones that were told initially that the problem can't be duplicated?

I don't even want to think of how dangerous this can be if the whole family is in the car.

Thank you all in advance.

Edited by CCL123

Hi Everyone,

A little late to the conversation, but thank you all so far for the information provided here.

My car as well has had this happen twice in the last 2 weeks. Both times were on the highway, both times we were going about 110 km/h when suddenly the car would begin to shake, and the check engine light would come on. Then the car would begin to decelerate, both times I was fortunate enough to swerve into the emergency lane, however I wouldn't have been that lucky if it was during rush hour.

As of now it's still in the dealership, and as they can't duplicate anything, they're telling us that in a few hours we might need to take it home.

The mechanic said he "thinks" it's the throttle body, but they are unable to do anything unless they're sure. Everything should still be under warranty as the car was purchased on Feb 28th 2011, if that matters at all. It's a 2011 SEL AWD with only about 30,000 km on it. Has anyone been having any luck with their dealership? Especially the ones that were told initially that the problem can't be duplicated?

I don't even want to think of how dangerous this can be if the whole family is in the car.

Thank you all in advance.

Why would it be dangerous? The people behind you can stop faster using their brakes than you will as you decelerate. Not to say that it's not a serious problem, but I don't see how it's going to create an unavoidable collision in any kind of traffic.

Why would it be dangerous? The people behind you can stop faster using their brakes than you will as you decelerate. Not to say that it's not a serious problem, but I don't see how it's going to create an unavoidable collision in any kind of traffic.

Sorry, when I said "decelerate" I literally meant that the engine stalls. If I'm on a 5 lane highway (i.e. 400 in Canada) where everyone on average is going about 110 km/h, it's snowing, rush hour, and my engine decides to stall, I'm in a situation where I have to be quickly changing multiple lanes while not having the assurance that the people behind me have enough traction or distance to brake in time. Moreover, I may not have the traction to change lanes in time, and I can't guarantee that with whatever power my car has left, it will be able to take me to the emergency lanes.

Factor in that I may have kids in the car, and any situation that may put them in this kind of harm is a dangerous situation to me.

Edited by CCL123

Noticed a mpg drop over last week after filling up Costco gas. Took it in for service at dealer. Dealer suggested MAF cleaning with BG service/Air Filter replacement, stating that the throttle bodies get dirty. Guess it's time to look inside the Edge's throat myself. Yippee!

I wouldn't worry too much about bad mpg's on one tank. I ran into the same thing while on my 2500 mile trip last year. Just cheap gas or they snuck in more ethanol than what is supposed to be allowed. I still averaged 26.3 on the trip.

Larry

Northern,In

So, second day at the dealership. They are not fixing anything since they can't "duplicate the problem". They asked me if I knew how to duplicate it, I told them if I did we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. Contacted Ford Canada, and they said the same thing as the dealership.

Does anyone have any tricks to get the car to stall?

Edited by CCL123

okay try this, go to an empty parking lot just to be on the safe side. And put the car in reverse, and tap the gas pedal really fast all the way down and snap it so it let's go by its own spring strength. in other words you want to peck the gas pedal. as fast as you can. see if that does anything, that's the only idea I have.

So, second day at the dealership. They are not fixing anything since they can't "duplicate the problem". They asked me if I knew how to duplicate it, I told them if I did we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. Contacted Ford Canada, and they said the same thing as the dealership.

Does anyone have any tricks to get the car to stall?

Hey CCL123,

I've made Kwasi, my Canadian counterpart, aware of this situation. Be on the lookout as he'll be reaching out to you.

Todd

Edited by FordService

Todd..... I've held back on going to the dealer for my tranny issue. Ive read that the throttle body issue could be causing this irratic tranny shifting so I serviced the throttle body myself to see if I get a thump now. I'll keep everyone updated. Also. .. Todd... How do I find out the year month date Mt car was build on? I checked the side of the door. . Nothing there.

Todd..... I've held back on going to the dealer for my tranny issue. Ive read that the throttle body issue could be causing this irratic tranny shifting so I serviced the throttle body myself to see if I get a thump now. I'll keep everyone updated. Also. .. Todd... How do I find out the year month date Mt car was build on? I checked the side of the door. . Nothing there.

Thanks for the update, 2011edge. Keep us posted with updates. Remember, I'm here if you need me.

Todd

• Like 1