Serious gas tank leak

Fullhouz

It's not just Ford's with leaking tanks. My son just got his 2007 Cobalt back from the ignition switch recall and had to replace the fuel tank. It has a plastic one and is located close to the exhaust with little or no shielding. 120,000 miles on it. This on top of the cracked and leaking fuel pump he had to replace that wasn't covered under a recall because Maryland is not a warm enough climate.

Wow, tough luck with the Cobalt! How warm does it have to be to qualify for the recall? MD does reach 100+ temps with 100% humidity at times, as you know.

Not sure what it takes to qualify, but I think from North Carolina and done were the ones that did. Couldn't believe it when I heard it that the recall was limited like that.

• 1 month later...

I also have a fuel smell in my 2007 Ford Edge. This started two weeks after we payed $1400 to fix the water pump draining water into the crank case (a ridiculous design, btw). The dealer originally told us there was water in the engine oil and that we would need to replace the engine for $5K. My husband is a mechanic and ascertained that there was no water in the oil. At any rate, a car we hoped to keep for our kids (due to size and safety) will now be sent to the boneyard, and we will NEVER buy another Ford product. We try and buy American, but feel like we are screwed with

this car. It's required more maintenance than my last two Hondas combined (sold my Honda and bought this Edge....mistake #1). My husband loved Fords (previous owner of a Ford F100, 3 Broncos, 3 Explorers and the Edge)....NEVERMORE!!!! Also, just because I believe there are several faulty designs with this car we will file an NTSB report about the fuel too, although we are not dumping any more $$$$ into it.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 2007 Ford Edge this spring with under 70K miles on it. Now I have the same problem with my fuel tank and not only is the tank way over priced but they are backordered for unknown amount of time. Evidently there is a very well known problem that needs to be addressed. Im surprised there isn't any stories of these burning up!!!!! Ive been a loyal Ford owner for years but if they don't correct this Im looking elsewhere!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '07 FWD SEL 120K...I live in Northeast Ohio where the state/ cities put that salt/ brine down in the winter.....I believe that is the culprit to rotting the seam where the two halves meet and around the fuel inlet area....I received a tank from Tx. $256.00 shipping was most of that... no rust at all.....go figure....yes expensive replacement $1500 new tank then installation cost...overall great vehicle....

I tried but cannot send a PM to "fordservice". Would like to get this taken care of.

Good morning, JimIA!

Standby; I'll send you a PM you'll be able to reply to.

I have a '07 FWD SEL 120K...I live in Northeast Ohio where the state/ cities put that salt/ brine down in the winter.....I believe that is the culprit to rotting the seam where the two halves meet and around the fuel inlet area....I received a tank from Tx. $256.00 shipping was most of that... no rust at all.....go figure....yes expensive replacement $1500 new tank then installation cost...overall great vehicle....

I'm glad you're enjoying the Edge, swanpup! Post a pic! :)

Todd

My 2007 Edge SEL has leaking gas tank. Mechanic says "don't park in the garage" due to fire hazard. New tank = $2018. Called Ford yesterday and they will not assist with repairs. Filed complaint with NHTSA. Leaking gas tanks are a major safety hazard. Maybe Ford Motor Co. will care when loss of life or property occurs. I'd really like to see a Class Action suit on this.

I've been a member here since July of this year when I bought a 2007 SEL. I have been reading about gas tank leaks and although mine isn't leaking at the present time I am starting to worry about future leaks and Ford not covering them. My last 2 SUV's were Grand Cherokee's. These vehicles had plastic fuel tanks. Don't laugh because they are tougher and don't puncture easily in accidents and don't rust.

Are the tanks in FWD and AWD Edge's are different? Do they both have a tendency to rust through? I have an Arizona car relocated to Connecticut and feel like I'm living with an expensive time bomb.

I've been a member here since July of this year when I bought a 2007 SEL. I have been reading about gas tank leaks and although mine isn't leaking at the present time I am starting to worry about future leaks and Ford not covering them. My last 2 SUV's were Grand Cherokee's. These vehicles had plastic fuel tanks. Don't laugh because they are tougher and don't puncture easily in accidents and don't rust.

Are the tanks in FWD and AWD Edge's are different? Do they both have a tendency to rust through? I have an Arizona car relocated to Connecticut and feel like I'm living with an expensive time bomb.

I'm a little surprised at Ford's lack of interest and lack of assistance in a matter as serious as leaking fuel tanks. I love my Edge SEL and the 2 dealers I've dealt with are great. But I feel terribly betrayed by Ford Motor Co.

I don't understand why this hasn't been addressed with at least an extended warranty or service program.

I totally agree with you. Have spoken to Ford Service by phone and on Twitter (@FordService) and the both responses were the same. No help and no intention of helping at this time. No consumer warnings forthcoming. I've filed a complaint with NHTSA.gov along with Rossen Reports at NBC and Consumers for Auto Reliability and Safety. Am also checking the process involved for starting a class action. One would think Ford Motor Co. would rather be proactive regarding a serious safety issue rather than wait for loss of life or property or a class action suit. But it's Ford's choice to do nothing.

Add me to the fuel tank leaking club. 1850.00 to get it done at the dealership. Have a guy locally that can install it for 3 hours labor...course Fords price on the tank is 1640.00 plus tax. Reported it to the NHTSA and complained to Ford/Lincoln.

Has there been any updates to this issue or alternative fixes?

Edited by kazzx

Add me to the fuel tank leaking club. 1850.00 to get it done at the dealership. Have a guy locally that can install it for 3 hours labor...course Fords price on the tank is 1640.00 plus tax. Reported it to the NHTSA and complained to Ford/Lincoln.

Has there been any updates to this issue or alternative fixes?

After exchanging about a dozen emails with Ford Customer Service, I've been "escalated" to contact with Ford Regional Service Manager and have been told to expect a phone call in 2 days. Sounds like progress but it's too soon to tell. My dealer says we can't even get parts for repairs let alone get any help from Ford.

My suggestion is DON'T GIVE UP. If we give up Ford will continue to do nothing to correct this safety hazard.

"Don't park in the garage" is not a solution that I'm willing to accept.

I have a 2007 Lincoln MKX. Started out with slight fuel smell. When it got very strong had tank checked and it's rotted. Ford refuses to address what is clearly a defect and a major safety issue. I filed a complaint with NHTSA but I'm stuck with the repair. I've always purchased Ford products. My first new car was an 87 Tbird. I planned on sticking with Ford but this has really cast doubt on them as a company. I was looking at an f150 or f250 because I wanted to buy American. Now I'm thinking Dodge or an import crossover/SUV.

Got the phone call from Ford today regarding my leaking fuel tank...

They don't have replacement gas tanks and they are not going to have replacement tanks.... ever. No kidding! That's what they said.

Recommendation from Ford Motor Co. is to have dealer try to possibly get replacement aftermarket tank from O'Reilly Auto Parts. And this is a quote... "Ford can't help you with this situation. Have a good day."

As I said before... Ford doesn't care about customer safety or loyalty. No place left to go for help.

Was it a call from FMC directly or from the dealership? That just doesn't sound right at all.

It was someone named Sally at Ford Motor Co. (1-866-631-3788) in response to my CRC case #. If it's Sally's job to make a customer feel abandoned by Ford Motor Co. then I must say Sally is very good at her job.