hello,

i'm new here and just purchased a used 2011 Edge Sport. I love the vehicle, however my one complaint is the headlights...they suck at night. BIGTIME!! so i have been researching HID kits for the Sport and have found that many don't sell a kit for the 9012 bulb and that many dislike and frown upon those who want or have HID kits in their edge.

not looking for lectures on those who don't agree with HID kits, i am looking to ask those of you who have installed a HID kit, which one did you use? quality issues? longevity? really anything you wish you knew when you bought it that you know now.

i have been looking at this one: www.carxenonhidkits.com/Edge-Halogen/High-Low-Beam-Beam-9012-Bi-xenon-Hid-Conversion-kit-slim-ballast-Ford-Edge-2011

thanks so much in advance for any help.

Gabe
2011 Ford Edge Sport

Capacitors work, but a wiring harness is recommended (especially if you are considering a 55W kit vs 35W).

DDM is a good kit (used them for many years, even back in their Apexcone days), but cannot match the quality of the TRS kit (not that you shouldn't consider the DDM kit).

As far as "frowning upon"? You won't get any from this bunch! Typically retrofitting HIDs into a REFLECTOR housing that was designed for Halogens ONLY is frowned upon (you get severe light scattering and non-focused lighting). Considering the OEM is a PROJECTOR lens, it is perfectly OK to retrofit HIDS into them (in fact, you cannot tell it wasn't OEM).

Yes, I know the OEM HID housings are slightly different, but the halogen housings are perfect for HID.

• Like 1

so i think i am going to go the TRS route. they seem to have the best reviews and i have heard nothing but good things about them. now i am stuck on the 4300K vs. 5000K (i want the best for night driving) and wether or not to go 35w 50w ballasts?

anyone have any thoughts or first hand experiance?

thanks everyone for all your help so far.

Gabe

2011 Ford Edge Sport

I'm with dingo. I've got 55w/5k.

Keep in mind 50w 5000k will be a perfect white color. The higher wattage washes out the color a bit due to increased intensity in the light's hotspot.

Basically 50w/5k will be closer to 4300k ran at 35w. You'll get the best of both worlds.

Just make sure to order the HD relay harness, you won't need the canbus.

Edited by candurin

sorry everyone for all my questions....i just want to make sure i order the right thing and get what i envision in my mmd :)

so i am thinking the TRS 50w - 5000k. will this be too bright and blind on-coming traffic? i am really after getting the best light for night driving.

is the 50w okay in terms of heat for the ford headlight housing? and do i need to the optional Standalone Can-Bus harness or just the heavy duty relay?

thanks again everyone.

Gabe

• Like 1

Gabe, just because your new I won't point out that I answered the harness question in the post immediately before your last one :)

No worries. You can go with the 50/55W no problem (I've been using my TRS 55W for over a year with ZERO issues). You will have no concerns with blinding oncoming traffic as your projectors should be aimed properly (you didn't play with any set screws, correct?) from the factory.

The 55W ballasts boosts the bulb lumens by 15 - 20% over the 35W ballast (both use same exact bulb).

Again, go with the Heavy Duty wiring harness. You do NOT need the CANBUS version as the edge does not throw any codes when changing to HIDs.

Let us know if you need any help with install. It's a bit tight and someone knuckle busting to get the bulbs in (we've all been there).

I've got a photo with my HIDs on (not a great representation as it was daytime, overcast and with an iPhone): http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12810-how-to-remove-front-bumper;-2011-2013-models/?p=101257

Edited by candurin
  • Like 1

Candurin - thank you so much and sorry i did see your original post regarding the harness :)

i asked TRS about the CanBus/Relay and because i am in Canada and DRL's come straight from factory they are telling me unless i disable the DRL's (which i have no idea how or who would do this since it's the law i believe) i will likely have flickering (on-off) of the HID's or risk having a bulb out error by running the relay harness.

are they wrong? will i be fine with a relay harness and DRL's?

thanks again everyone...it is truly appreciated.

Gabe

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new here and I just bought 2011 Edge and love it. Would love to add HID. I have HID almost on all the vehicles I have owned. So after reading this. Want to make sure that I'm reading it right. I can use 9006 hid kit? Will it just fit fine without having problems? I have never ordered 55w. Because usually cost more so I always stick with 35w. So I assumed 55w will be brighter than 35w? I have thought about get color temp 8000k?

Don't get 8k temp. Unless you really want purple headlights. They'll look and function like :censored:.

If you go with 55w get a wire harness as well. 55w is about 20-30% brighter than 35w. As a result, it will bring the color temp down a bit due to the more intense hotspot in the light pattern (e.g. A 5k bulb driven at 55w will look more like 4300k).

Yes, you can use a 9006 or 9005 kit.

Edited by PrinzII

I guess I really need to check if my Edge made I'm Canada or USA. Anybody got any suggestion on which hid to but? I can't afford trs hid. I will not spend $150 for it. Also where will be good place to buy the relay harness?

To answer the first part, all Edges are assembled in Canada. Oakville, ON to be exact. Your car will not have DRLs unless it was a used one from Canada or a state that required DRLs (e.g. California).

Been looking for 9006 55w 6000k hid. Went on eBay and didn't really see what I like so I went on amazon. I came up to this. Called Opt7. Anybody have them or heard anything? Reason why I looked at this. It also include relay harness and cancellor. Not bad for $72.

http://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Bolt-55w-Xenon-Conversion/dp/B00CF2810W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378430573&sr=8-1&keywords=9006+55w+hid+kit

Edited by SleathBlueEdge