20's

npggirl

Okay...

I will be ordering my 2008 Edge in about 3 weeks....

I, at first, had decided that I was going to stick with 18 in. rims, because I heard, from several people that the larger the rim, the worse the ride and the MPG.

So what I would love to do here is get opinions, and or experiences.

I am now thinking about going ahead and going with 20's just because they are sooooo appealing to the eyes!

But, I don't want to make the gas mileage a lot worse and I dont want the ride to be really bumpy and not comfy.

Please, lemme hear what you all think....

:reading:

Sincerely,

NPG girl~

Okay...

I will be ordering my 2008 Edge in about 3 weeks....

I, at first, had decided that I was going to stick with 18 in. rims, because I heard, from several people that the larger the rim, the worse the ride and the MPG.

So what I would love to do here is get opinions, and or experiences.

I am now thinking about going ahead and going with 20's just because they are sooooo appealing to the eyes!

But, I don't want to make the gas mileage a lot worse and I dont want the ride to be really bumpy and not comfy.

Please, lemme hear what you all think....

:reading:

Sincerely,

NPG girl~

I have the 17 inch wheels on my car and I think in hindsight I should have ordered the 18 inch wheels since the 17's are really way too comfy but plenty good for my driving style. The 18's would harden up the ride a tad, the 20's maybe over kill. Additioanlly I would also consider how many miles a year you drive since I do about + 25 k as a travelling salesman and the cost of replacement anything over 17's will be more then I want to pay. Best of luck.

I have been informed that the 20's come with a sport tuned suspension to match. RayoVac had no complaints about the ride and even noted it felt firmer than his wife's 2007 Edge. You will still be able to make changes to your order up to 10 days before the build date. You can get the build date from you salesman maybe a week or so after you place your order. If you were to place your order on Oct 28th. Expect a build date of about Nov 19th. So you could still change the rims if you wanted once more reviews come in up until approximately Nov 9th. I should have mine by Nov 1st and will give a thorough review. By the way, mine gets built tomorrow on Oct 8th. :-)

I have the 17 inch wheels on my car and I think in hindsight I should have ordered the 18 inch wheels since the 17's are really way too comfy but plenty good for my driving style. The 18's would harden up the ride a tad, the 20's maybe over kill. Additioanlly I would also consider how many miles a year you drive since I do about + 25 k as a travelling salesman and the cost of replacement anything over 17's will be more then I want to pay. Best of luck.

hi there. yeah, I see what you are saying. i do not travel that much, maybe 4 times a year I go on a 5 hour trip. but, i do, do a lot of every day driving, well, at least 40 miles or so a day...

not a ton of driving, but i do want comfort...

Thank you for the info!

I have been informed that the 20's come with a sport tuned suspension to match. RayoVac had no complaints about the ride and even noted it felt firmer than his wife's 2007 Edge. You will still be able to make changes to your order up to 10 days before the build date. You can get the build date from you salesman maybe a week or so after you place your order. If you were to place your order on Oct 28th. Expect a build date of about Nov 19th. So you could still change the rims if you wanted once more reviews come in up until approximately Nov 9th. I should have mine by Nov 1st and will give a thorough review. By the way, mine gets built tomorrow on Oct 8th. :-)

Hi there and thanks for the info!!

what exactly would a sport tuned suspension do for the ride?

I wish I could test drive one with 20's, but my local lot does not have any thus far...

Maybe, like you said, by the time I order, before the actual build date, I could drive one...

I installed 22"s on my edge back in apr, 3 days after i bought it. I also had it lowered by my dealer with lowering springs from h&r springs. I have nothing but good things to say about the ride now. It is firmer. Better grip in corners...probably a 10% increase in noise level because of the better sport tires. I gained 24 pds of weight to the edge by adding 22" wheels and tires...... 6 pds at each corner......lost about 1 mpg city....have not been on a long trip yet. Go for the 20"s...u will love it. I have even seen 1 edge with 24" wheels and tires.post-650-1191844168_thumb.jpg

Edited by SALEENS7

I went with aftermarket 20's (Hankook Ventus ST - 275/45/20) on my 07 Edge. They are inflated to 35 lbs each.

There is a bit of a difference in "smoothness" between the stock 18's and my 20's - of course, it's a "thinner" tire so that is to be expected. But not enough to make me sorry I went with 20's.

As far as MPG - I can't tell you what the difference was between them - I had the 20's put on 2 days after I bought my Edge. But from what I know from other people, what Saleen is saying is just about right.

Believe me...you won't be sorry. You want something more appealing to the eye? What LITTLE you give up in ride and mpg is well worth how appealing to the eye your Edge will be with 20's and nicer wheels.

DO IT!!!!

Hi there and thanks for the info!!

what exactly would a sport tuned suspension do for the ride?

I wish I could test drive one with 20's, but my local lot does not have any thus far...

Maybe, like you said, by the time I order, before the actual build date, I could drive one...

I'd say go with the 18's. They're cheaper, should be lighter and the tires will be much cheaper with more choices come replacement time.

And i concur with good hands also. The eye appeal is well worth the 1 mpg....i drove my edge off the lot and not many people looked. (i was checking to see if people looked as i drove around). Put the new wheels on 3 days later...and people just stared. Have had kids at 18 years old up to 60 year olds wanting to know what it is, they love the wheels and want to know how much horsepower. New wheels seem to make people think you have serious hp under the hood. My factory 18"s..i hated...there was to much gap in the fender wells for me....thats why i lowered it and added new wheels. GET THE BIGGER WHEELS.....U WILL LOVE US ALL LATER FOR THE GOOD ADVICE. :wub::rockon:

And i concur with good hands also. The eye appeal is well worth the 1 mpg....i drove my edge off the lot and not many people looked. (i was checking to see if people looked as i drove around). Put the new wheels on 3 days later...and people just stared. Have had kids at 18 years old up to 60 year olds wanting to know what it is, they love the wheels and want to know how much horsepower. New wheels seem to make people think you have serious hp under the hood. My factory 18"s..i hated...there was to much gap in the fender wells for me....thats why i lowered it and added new wheels. GET THE BIGGER WHEELS.....U WILL LOVE US ALL LATER FOR THE GOOD ADVICE. :wub::rockon:

Saleen and Good Hands...

You two have made my mind up for me...

I am going with the 20's!

Thanks soooo much for the comparison. It is SO much appreciated...I was really worried about losing a lot of MPG and comfort....

Saleen...Beautiful ride!!!!

I installed 22"s on my edge back in apr, 3 days after i bought it. I also had it lowered by my dealer with lowering springs from h&r springs. I have nothing but good things to say about the ride now. It is firmer. Better grip in corners...probably a 10% increase in noise level because of the better sport tires. I gained 24 pds of weight to the edge by adding 22" wheels and tires...... 6 pds at each corner......lost about 1 mpg city....have not been on a long trip yet. Go for the 20"s...u will love it. I have even seen 1 edge with 24" wheels and tires.post-650-1191844168_thumb.jpg

WOW an Edge with 24" wheels, I am sure it attracts a lot of attention, but at the cost of a very rough ride. When it comes to the Edge I think 20" is the sweet spot. You get the looks and WOW factor of 20" wheels, a nice ride and you don't lose that much on MPG. 18" wheels will give you a smoother ride but not the WOW factor. 22" wheels will draw more attention, but are probably a bit to rough of a ride for most people.

So assuming you want good looks and some attention 20" is probably the way to go.

Clayton

Are they going to help you pay for the extra brake pads and more expensive tires, too?

At least you know that you're only buying them for looks. Enjoy.

Sincerely,

NPG girl~

I believe she said that very thing.

Are they going to help you pay for the extra brake pads and more expensive tires, too?

At least you know that you're only buying them for looks. Enjoy.

Hey there Akirby...

I appreciate your feedback. I have done a lot of thinking about this, and asking around personally also, and I keep hearing the majority say that it will cost a little more money for things such as tires and so forth, but it is not a huge difference as well as the ride still being great and the MPG is not affected too much...

So, I feel that 20's is the way to go. If the tires and such are a little more expensive that is okay by me simply because I know i wont have to get tires all the time. It is something you just dont have to do all the time. Hubby already pays a lot for his "meaty" truck tires, so might as well add me to the "expensive" tire list...lol

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions!!

WOW an Edge with 24" wheels, I am sure it attracts a lot of attention, but at the cost of a very rough ride. When it comes to the Edge I think 20" is the sweet spot. You get the looks and WOW factor of 20" wheels, a nice ride and you don't lose that much on MPG. 18" wheels will give you a smoother ride but not the WOW factor. 22" wheels will draw more attention, but are probably a bit to rough of a ride for most people.

So assuming you want good looks and some attention 20" is probably the way to go.

Clayton

Thanks Clayton!!

:shades:

www.tirerack.com and www1010.tires have good prices and reviews on tires. Once you decide which brand you like, check around locally to compare; and if they don't beat the Internet price, have the place you order from dropship them to your installer.

Same with the wheels.

1010.tires also have a really cool Tire Size Calculator - http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp - that allows you to put in the size of your present tire and then a different size tire and show you the difference in diameter, thickness, MPH, etc.

And don't forget the vast wealth of knowledge and experience many people on this board can give you.

npggirl..thanx for the roses...lol...and you are welcome.....glad good hands and I could help. By the way, another member mentioned the fact about him and i(good hands) paying for your new 20"s and the cost. My 22" wheels did cost more than the factory wheels of course ($380.00 per rim)...but get this..my 22" tires from the tire rack were 7 dollars LESS per tire than the factory 18 continentals from ford, and they trump the continentals in every test by the tire rack. I want pics when you get the setup on..... :yup: As former owner of 2 saleen mustangs, both supercharghed, most aftermarket companies like SALEEN can improve subsantially on every component of a factory vehicle. Bigger, wider tires improve handling. Too big can hurt. 6 and 8 piston brakes (calipers) improve stopping distance dramatically along with performance pads. Exhaust, intakes, suspension and engine pcs....the aftermarket can make your vehicle soooo much better. U will love the 20" setup. Besides, u bought the edge because "you live on the edge"...get even edgier with the 20"s. Why look like every other factory edge on the road...be different...stand out. Keep me updated on the install.

Edited by SALEENS7

Hey there Akirby...

I appreciate your feedback. I have done a lot of thinking about this, and asking around personally also, and I keep hearing the majority say that it will cost a little more money for things such as tires and so forth, but it is not a huge difference as well as the ride still being great and the MPG is not affected too much...

So, I feel that 20's is the way to go. If the tires and such are a little more expensive that is okay by me simply because I know i wont have to get tires all the time. It is something you just dont have to do all the time. Hubby already pays a lot for his "meaty" truck tires, so might as well add me to the "expensive" tire list...lol

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions!!

As long as you understand the tradeoffs and the total cost - go for it.

I just don't understand the fascination with huge wheels and rubber band tires. Seems like a tremendous waste of money.

I just don't understand the fascination with huge wheels and rubber band tires. Seems like a tremendous waste of money.

Different strokes. Some of us like the way they look and not only have the money but don't mind spending the money for something they want.

Could be a 60 inch TV, could be a 10K computer, could be season tickets for the _______ NFL football team.

Work hard, play hard. Spoil yourself.

Buy what you want.

I know.....it is lots of cash....i guess it just what you like. But i do understand your point to....nfl tickets...oh yeah.

www.tirerack.com and www1010.tires have good prices and reviews on tires. Once you decide which brand you like, check around locally to compare; and if they don't beat the Internet price, have the place you order from dropship them to your installer.

Same with the wheels.

1010.tires also have a really cool Tire Size Calculator - http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp - that allows you to put in the size of your present tire and then a different size tire and show you the difference in diameter, thickness, MPH, etc.

And don't forget the vast wealth of knowledge and experience many people on this board can give you.

hey, thanks for the websites. Those are good sites!!

:)

I know.....it is lots of cash....i guess it just what you like. But i do understand your point to....nfl tickets...oh yeah.

Have wheels become the new status symbol? It used to be the vehicle itself, but now it seems to be more about the wheels than the vehicle.

The part I really don't get is when I see a car worth $2K with $4K worth of wheels and tires.