Front Grill Paint - Opinions Wanted!

Favorite Color Combination!  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Color Option do you Prefer?

• All Blue Grill
    • All Black Grill
    • Blue Bottom Grill Bar, Other Two Bars Black
    • Black Bottom Grill Bar, Other Two Bars Blue

We just picked up a 2013 Edge in Deep Impact Blue and got a pretty good deal on it. The only downside is we have the license plate bracket on the front and the chrome grill which I strongly dislike! Not being able to afford the sport or SEL with appearance package, I figured I could get the primed inserts and have them painted. I had a friend of mine put together a very crude photoshop and wanted to get your opinions, please check out the photos and let me know which one you prefer in the poll!

1) All Blue

post-27695-0-71290400-1378747636_thumb.jpg

2) All black

post-27695-0-12537000-1378747654_thumb.jpg

3) Bottom body color, top two black

post-27695-0-55596400-1378747672_thumb.jpg

4) Bottom black, top two body color

post-27695-0-64705100-1378747688_thumb.jpg

All black,

My suggestion, plasti-dip it the color you want to try. If you don't like it, you can peel the plasti-dip off and start over. Many members have plasti-dipped their grill black on this forum (and other colors are available). There is also a how-to video I believe, do a search for it on the forum.

• Like 1

Without all of the other trim painted black like the Sport, a black grill may look weird. Matching it to your body color would look nice, but (and since the bumper is easy to remove) I wouldn't do it unless you can afford to take it and have it sprayed at a paint shop. It shouldn't cost more than $200 and you could have them add extra coats of clear to entire bumper to protect from chips. If you just rattle can spray over the chrome grill, you will be seeing (and respraying) chips in your grill constantly. Here is all black

With some LED running lights and some factory 20s from the classifieds it will look very nice.

post-26835-0-51913800-1378992935_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hollywood1

• 2 months later...

Be unique, all blue, make someone look at it and think about it to figure out what you did.. It'll look factory, but no one else will have it. And if the paint shop is going to have your color in the gun already, pick a few dash or door trim pieces to shoot.

Edited by NKopp83

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long time with no response! I don't have any good photos of it, but here are the cell phone pics I have so far.

First is the grille bars fresh from the body shop. They turned these around super quick and the quality is great.

20131001_181844_zps0c68f9d0.jpg

Next front end with the bumper removed at ~1500 miles. This certainly scared the boss a little bit!

20131004_193604_zps4e8dc484.jpg20131004_193608_zpsd8b4cacc.jpg

Removing the bumper and swapping the grille bars was definitely not hard, but I'd really recommend having a second person around for when you have to move these items. Especially if you're clumsy like me!

I didn't really take any photos of the grill while we were doing the swap, but here is the finished product!

20131004_202358_zpsa6a02831.jpg

20131004_202416_zps3f97592f.jpg

Overall, we are very happy with the results! You very rarely see any other edges like it and it's a nice subtle mod that only car people will notice. Hope you guys like it and it maybe inspires folks to customize their own!

• Like 3

Beautious!

We got the ruby red '13, and that was one of my unfulfilled requests to Ford -- body color on the grill. The three pieces you ordered come to ca. $140, and if we're lucky enough to get them done as well as yours then we're going for it. All that "bright" up front is a bit tacky, IOHO.

My only question is, how did you drop the grill without taking out the headlights? I ask because a body shop here in CO said they'd have to remove the lights. Obviously from your pic's. that's not the case.

And how are the old chrome/bright bars held in place? Can they be removed and the painted ones installed without damage to the black bits?

Cheers - nice job!

J. in CO

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, re: the ruby red I pondered earlier...went out and let the pro's do it -- ca. $1100 including the clear bra over the newly painted grille bars, front bumper (I use that term facitiously...) and its sides around the LED DRLs and beneath the grill, then over the hood and front fender tips down to the back ends of the light housings. We are really happy with the paint and bra work done by Highlands Ranch Collision here in south Denver.

Pic's are attached -- the close-up looks like scratches but it's just reflections of my fat house and head.

J.

...and a P.S.: I referred to the "DRLs", but there ain't none shown -- at least they're not the LED lights-turned-DRLs that I'm talking about. But post-photo we did have Ford do their laptop tweak to turn on the yellow park lamps as DRLs. Those now work dimly as parking lights until you put it in gear, and then they're quite bright "DRLs". The LED lights down below are still just the stock parking lights.

post-28780-0-58330700-1398033939_thumb.jpg

post-28780-0-64067200-1398033945_thumb.jpg

post-28780-0-40051800-1398033952_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edge-thusiast
  • Like 2

Thanks,,,yeah, Milady doesn't feel like she's driving a Peterbilt or Mack any more now that the "chrome" mass up front is gone. She threatened to get "naked lady" mudguards for the rear if we didn't have the grille painted!

I should've mentioned that the clear bra stuff is also on the outside mirrors. He did it so well that I had trouble finding the line where it left off. Also, that stuff doesn't go around sharp corners well, so it's only applied up to those edges. On the new grille pieces, for example, he only covered the forward-facing surfaces...not the very top/bottom edges of the repainted bars. It was pricey, but he said that most folks don't do the "bumper" below the grille and the mirrors -- just the usual hood/fender bits. But that stuff down low takes the beating and so we went for it.

And we're very pleased with the paint (a dead-on match with the rest of the beast) and bra work. Boss Lady ;) is an pastel/water color 'artiste' with a sharp eye for color. She sees no difference.

J.

Edited by Edge-thusiast

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Satin black is the color of the replacement grille bars -- ca. $135 sans tax from Ford. But for me, black looks like someone forgot to paint 'em! Find a print advert. for the Edge in the red color (there are plenty around) and then color the chrome grille black with a crayon or felt pen. That'll give you an idea of what it would look like. We did that with the red color.

J. in CO

...and a postscript: there's a ruby red Edge advert. right on this forum site near the top, either on this same page or the main forum page. that Edge has the black grille bars...

FWIW.

Edited by Edge-thusiast