How to disable horn warning?

I agree that MFT needs a lot of improvement. But I just can't understand how anyone can adjust the (Fan speed, interior temp, rear defrost & seat heater) without even looking where the buttons are! Apparently some people have super memory & hand position/location coordination!

Radio preset & Audio source can be done through the steering wheel controls, so can be done without really taking eyes off the road.

By the way, with MFT, YOU CAN adjust fans speed, interior temp, rear defrost, most (if not all) audio controls (including radio presets) using voice commands. which is true "hands free" operation.

It's easy. The buttons are arranged in three distinct rows on the center stack. The top row is things that I use only if stopped (settings menu, navigation, etc.). The second row has two buttons stacked at the left to change source - one for radio and one for media (CD, USB, or hard drive... whichever was last used). There is a volume knob at the left edge and a tuning knob at the right with radio presets in a row between them so that's pretty easy because you can feel the individual buttons. The bottom row is climate controls - heated seat first on the left followed by the temp up/down rocker and then the fan speed rocker near the center - again, easy to use by touch alone. Anyone who can't remember that much probably doesn't remember what stations they have set on each preset either so it would be a moot point.

As I said before, you can't use the steering wheel controls for many of those functions (volume being the notable exception) without looking at the menu or memorizing how many times to press the switches in each direction. Selecting radio presets is almost possible since the scan buttons will cycle through the presets but you can't directly choose one.

And yes, SYNC is supposed to let you use voice commands. That would be great if it actually worked consistently but my experience is that I cringe when trying to use it because it either doesn't understand or gets it wrong. I can't tell you how many times I've said "radio on" or "sirius on" to get a response of "audio off". And forget trying to have it tune a station accurately.

The idea of trying to drive the vehicle while working through the maddening Sync or MFT systems

is just beyond insane.

This is a perfect example of distracted drivng in the worst way.

Ford should have known better than to unleash this monstrosity

on the motoring public... I should have known better myself.

mardyn

• 1 year later...

Here it is a year after my inital post about my then new Ford Edge.

The horn thing still irritates the bejesus out of me. Has anyone had luck in figuring out a software solution?

The turn signal thing I've kinda' learned to ignore and just engage to 100% as opposed

to using the ridiculous 3 flash turn signal.

The new 2015 Hyundai Sonata that I recently purchased

for my Mother to drive has a similar feature, but with a much better thought out option

to adjust the number of flashes desired from 3 to 5 or even 7. All set from the driver's preference

menu just a one would expect..

One would sure expect Ford Motor Company to offer better options for buyers like us.

mardyn

Edited by mardyn

The horn thing still irritates the bejesus out of me. Has anyone had luck in figuring out a software solution?

Turn off the vehicle, leave the door open or leave the keys in the vehicle. Why are those so difficult?

It would be nice to configure the turn flashes, but 3 works perfectly fine for me.

• 2 years later...

The problem with Akirby's suggestion (that is, to "leave the door open") is not always safe or practical.

In my case, I want to be able to park the car in front of the mailbox cluster at the entrance to my gated community, leaving the car running as I hop out and grab the mail, then hopping back in. Leaving the door open is not a safe option for me, due to other cars coming in to the entrance, and driving around my parked vehicle.

Instead, when I close the door behind me, I get a double BLAST of the horn (at full volume... enough to give you a heart attack!)... for having done so.

My wife's late-model Lexus give you three truly low-volume electronic CHIRPS as you walk away from her running car... a nice, friendly alternative... as opposed to jumping out of your skin, when the Edge's horn blares at you at full volume!

You don’t have to leave it wide open - just don’t let it latch. That only leaves it open about an inch. If you want to shut the door all the way just turn off the engine. Since you don’t have to take the key out of your pocket or remove it and reinsert it that’s not really a big deal.

I agree that a chirp would be nicer but it’s not that big of a deal.

i have just disabled the double honk and set the turn signal to flash seven times when tapping the stalk.

you just need a ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth and forscan software. there are many posts, including one i started called comprehensive list of forscan mods.

Edited by ben senise

The problem with Akirby's suggestion (that is, to "leave the door open") is not always safe or practical.

Though I do agree that the double honk is very annoying, and would definitely disable it without question, Akirby's suggestion works by closing the door to the first latch (not fully closed) so the door would be locked, but not fully closed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As "Ben" did above, I, too, have also been able to disable that annoying/startling double honk, using the 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth unit and the FORScan extended-license software (as he suggested). I was also able to make it impossible to shift the car into Drive while left running and unattended (unless the key fob is back in the car), which seems like a basic, "should-have-been-the-default" choice. (As a fire dept. volunteer, this is ideal for me when I need to leave my car and lights operating out on a roadway, at a fire scene). A feature like this could also be something that might help thwart carjackings, I guess.

Another feature I was able to change were the Power Point settings, to now turn-off with the ignition (my dashcam is permanently wired-in to a PowerPoint circuit, and would continue running for 1-1/4 hours after the car was parked... it now turns off when the ignition is turned off, thus saving unnecessary drain on the battery). I was also easily able to add the "Average Speed" display to now show-up as you toggle through the Fuel menu (something that was never originally activated "as built", for some reason).

I also experimented with enabling the "Dark Mode" (which is used on police vehicles to disable internal courtesy lights, and external parking and tailight flashing during entry/exit). While I was able to get this mode to work, I decided against using it, as I like having a few seconds of interior lights when first getting in, in the dark.

I guess the bottom line is that, while you must be careful in what you mess with, there do seem to be many hidden options and features that, for whatever reason, are not readily changeable without some minor equipment (and the brains to go along with it).

Edited by Bobs2015EdgeSport
  • Like 1

No problem!

To add the "Average Speed" display function into your Fuel/Trip menu, here are the default settings that I found, and then what I did to add this function into the menu choices:

IPC Module:

As Built: 720-01-01 0C26 1064 7645 (Default / NO "Average Speed" display visible in the menu)

Changed to: 720-01-01 0C26 1464 7649 (Now allows this function to be visible in the menu)

NOTE that I only actually changed the "0" to a "4" (in the second field)... but then discovered that the system had automatically changed the "5" to a "9" in the last field, just after I had saved the changes (via the "Write" button)!

I've had this happen on a couple of other programming changes I've made as well.

Anyway, good luck with your own changes!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks to my friend Claude ("cv27" on this site) my horn's double honk is now disabled! :thumbsup: He also turned on the "Average Speed" display function as well as making the lane changing signal feature flash 6 times intead of 3...

Thank you my friend, I appreciate! :2thumbs:

Claude. ;)

Edited by 2FAST4U
  • Like 1