What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

- Ordering all 4 bearings today (Why? I don't feel like going down the proverbial rabbit hole chasing bearings when they go out which was the same rationale I used for replacing all 4 rotors and brake pads)

- Looking at new LED reverse bulbs and turn signal bulbs

- Ordering new puddle lamps from Don

- Researching new headlight assemblies

- Oil Change and Trans Fluid Flush

- Changing Cabin Air Filter to a K&N

Non-Edge related project(s)

- Upgrade my 5th Gen iPod's storage to a SSD

- Upgrade the motherboard and memory on my home theater computer

Edited by PrinzII
  • Like 3

.. be interested to hear how big a job the bearings are and what the total cost is/was. I used the same rationale when I did my brakes - its fairly inexpensive just to go ahead and do new rotors with the pads and its really not that big a job to do. That way you benchmark the item(s) and know exactly what the maintenance intervals are.

• Like 2

.. be interested to hear how big a job the bearings are and what the total cost is/was. I used the same rationale when I did my brakes - its fairly inexpensive just to go ahead and do new rotors with the pads and its really not that big a job to do. That way you benchmark the item(s) and know exactly what the maintenance intervals are.

That's my theory, too, as well as if I did them one at a time, I will have forgotten what I did the first time around. So much easier to have the other side of the vehicle to look at as a reference point as well as remembering that taking this bolt out first and prying 'here' is better retained in the span of 15 minutes as opposed to months.

Still have all my new brakes sitting in their boxes. Just trying to get the CC under control before the new transmission.

• Like 1

I don't think they need to be 'made.' I think a spent .40 cal case will simply fit over the valve stem. Unfortunately, I own no .40 cal weapons. Why can't they make valve stems in .45, 9mm, or .38 Spc? ;)

Lucky for you, the cheapo "chrome" valve stem caps at your auto parts store is the right size to fit into a .45acp, but they look funny being a different diameter than the stems.

I'm cheap! that's why I glued my own in there! that is $10 in gas I can stick in the tank and beat up on some unsuspecting "muscle" cars

• Like 2

I watched MacT's video on YouTube regarding the rears and you may need a torch and a hammer (His were rusty and needed to be worked like that in order to get the hub assembly off). The fronts aren't as bad but you will need someone with a press to press the new bearings in.

The one I was floored by was replacing the rear shocks. You have to loosen an interior panel in the cargo area to get to the top of the shocks. If you have the motorized liftgate, you will need to remove that motor first and then remove the panel .

I did order the Timken wheel bearings for my Edge from AutoAnything.

By the way, that is next on the list of things to do on my Edge. I am replacing the shocks and struts with KYBs.

Status of Non-Edge Projects:

iPod upgrade: I have found a 1,8" ZIF SSD for the iPod which means I won't need an extra board. I plan to order my tools for taking it apart today.

Home Theater Computer: Researching processor, mobo, and memory choices

Edited by PrinzII
  • Like 2

cold weather I'm assuming? They say they tend to catch more during the colder months. I don't get much for cold weather here, but makes me want to pick one up anyhow. I've been talking about it for months.

Oil change & drained the catch can. I have about 2,000 miles since i last drained the catch can & about 4,100 miles since i last changed the oil. Nasty...

cold weather I'm assuming? They say they tend to catch more during the colder months. I don't get much for cold weather here, but makes me want to pick one up anyhow. I've been talking about it for months.

Yes. I'd say averaging about 30-38 degrees for the last 2 months

• Like 1