What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

Just had the front windows tinted with 35% Nano Ceramic tint. DUB-R tint is what I chose because of the way it keeps the IR and UV out. I compared different manufactures tint samples over a heat lamp and this DUB-R Nano Ceramic tint was amazing at keeping the heat out. As the roof of the car is glass I had the BAMR tinted as well with 70% just to keep the inferred and UV out as much as possible . The summer gets very hot here in So Cal and I could tell the difference compared to the tint I had removed. The cabin is more comfortable and the AC works better now. I no longer feel the suns heat on me through the glass.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Just had the front windows tinted with 35% Nano Ceramic tint. DUB-R tint is what I chose because of the way it keeps the IR and UV out. I compared different manufactures tint samples over a heat lamp and this DUB-R Nano Ceramic tint was amazing at keeping the heat out. As the roof of the car is glass I had the BAMR tinted as well with 70% just to keep the inferred and UV out as much as possible . The summer gets very hot here in So Cal and I could tell the difference compared to the tint I had removed. The cabin is more comfortable and the AC works better now. I no longer feel the suns heat on me through the glass.

Hope you dont get a ticket for tinted windows..I got a 'fixit' ticket for having my side windows 15% tinted. Had to take it back to the shop and have it all scraped off.

• Like 1

Hope you dont get a ticket for tinted windows..I got a 'fixit' ticket for having my side windows 15% tinted. Had to take it back to the shop and have it all scraped off.

15% is over twice as dark as mine @ 35%. 35% is as dark as I dare go, you can still see into the car .

• Like 1

With illegal tint, its luck of the draw, the legal limit is usually not enough for most peoples liking. I just tried to match the front to the rear windows as close as possible, I've done this on all my cars and have never gotten a ticket (knock on wood). I've certainly heard of others getting fix-it-tix though. Almost all the cars I see here with aftermarket tint are too dark, and in SoCal there are tons of cars like this. Safety in numbers I guess. For the most part, its probably a ticket they give out if you are being an A$$ to the cop and he/she is looking for stuff to add on. The first thing I always plan to do if I get pulled over is roll the windows down all the way, be polite, and hope they don't ask about them, or my lack of a front license plate B)

• Like 2

With illegal tint, its luck of the draw, the legal limit is usually not enough for most peoples liking. I just tried to match the front to the rear windows as close as possible, I've done this on all my cars and have never gotten a ticket (knock on wood). I've certainly heard of others getting fix-it-tix though. Almost all the cars I see here with aftermarket tint are too dark, and in SoCal there are tons of cars like this. Safety in numbers I guess. For the most part, its probably a ticket they give out if you are being an A$$ to the cop and he/she is looking for stuff to add on. The first thing I always plan to do if I get pulled over is roll the windows down all the way, be polite, and hope they don't ask about them, or my lack of a front license plate B)

I also got a ticket for no Front Plate on a previous car...Problem is you can not get a single plate from the DMV to replace the missing front..you have to re-register the car and get a completely new reg. number! Hows that for dumb beurocracy!

Couple of days ago, I accidentally found out that I am able to turn off the rear reading light(s) from the front. If a rear light is turned on manually, all you need to do is turn on all the lights from the front overhead console and then turn them off. The rear light(s) will then turn off.

This was not mentioned in the manual, but I have noticed it shows that those without the vista roof actually have an additional button to turn off all the lights. As I have the Vista roof, I don't have that extra "all off" button.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

COP friend of mine told me he doesn't stop for tint, but he does check after a stop for other reasons, if he suspects too dark a film.

Here's a site where you can check for your state's legal laws on tinting. Basically all states have laws on windshield and front side window. Back windows, not so much. They cover things like, the amount of tint (here in Indiana tint is ONLY allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line and must allow more than 30% of the light in (that is 70% VLT) for side windows).

They (laws) govern; reflectivity (silver look); colors (certain colors are banded in certain states); side mirrors; whether certification is required; whether a certification sticker is required and medical exemption requirements.

https://www.windowtint.com/pages/state-window-tint-laws

For example you mentioned California, nothing on windshield below top 4 inches, front side windows must allow MORE THAN 70% of the light in; back and rear windows allow any tint. Reflectivity cannot be increased over normal on side windows (silver look - front or rear); cannot use RED, AMBER or BLUE tints; and dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted. Certification IS required and a sticker attached of certification must be carried in car.

As for heat rejection while still appearing legal, 3M Automotive Window Film Crystalline Series seems promising. Their 90% film rejects 90% of the IR, 99% of the UV and 3% glare reduction; all while allowing 90% of the light to get through (almost clear).

Only downfall to any windshield film is the wipers will scrape dirt and small sand particles across the film and eventually cause the film to scratch, increasing glare. Same thing that happens to the glass only quicker. (Except the glass can be cleared of scratches and vinyl can't).

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

Only downfall to any windshield film is the wipers will scrape dirt and small sand particles across the film and eventually cause the film to scratch, increasing glare. Same thing that happens to the glass only quicker. (Except the glass can be cleared of scratches and vinyl can't).

window tint film is designed to be applied to the inside surface of the glass.

• Like 5

Went to the ford Dealer this morning and got the works package and had the coolant flushed and filled. Also took advantage of the free car wash. My dealer has the touch less wash. Came home and waxed it, cleaned the interior and I'm good to go. 2500 mile road trip starts tomorrow.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

It has been awhile since I posted, but thought I would pop in and let you know I got gently rear ended! I had to get my impact bar, hitch replaced, and bumper repainted and repaired.

The bad part was that they put me in a 2018 Edge Titanium! Man that car was nice. I got my Edge back, so all is back to normal now.

• Like 1

Hey all,

It has been awhile since I posted, but thought I would pop in and let you know I got gently rear ended! I had to get my impact bar, hitch replaced, and bumper repainted and repaired.

The bad part was that they put me in a 2018 Edge Titanium! Man that car was nice. I got my Edge back, so all is back to normal now.

Had the same problem with my F150 and a Mini Cooper but it wasn’t so gentle - her airbags deployed. Took them 10 days to replace my bumper and repair the tailgate. It does feel good to get your vehicle back after going without for awhile. Could have been worse - could have been the Mini Cooper!

• Like 1

Just put on my new used wheel set. Yay.

You probably already seen my post "Where to find OEM wheels" but here it what she looks like.

Much better than before but still nerdy with the chrome window trim...LOL

Sorry about the crappy pic.

post-50946-0-35778100-1532033070_thumb.jpg

Edited by marchese
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...