What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

2 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

I hear it was an issue on the F150s also, but Ford issued a metal replacement pan as a fix there.  I suppose it wouldn't be difficult to have one custom made for the Edge, but be nice for Ford to have done so.

I asked for my old pan but I was told because it was a warranty item it had to go back to Ford. My plan was to have it sand cast in aluminum and machine as necessary. I just looked at Tasca Parts and the 2017- 2018 F-150 2.7 still had the plastic pan listed . Perhaps it was the 3.5EB that got the metal pan. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

I hear it was an issue on the F150s also, but Ford issued a metal replacement pan as a fix there.  I suppose it wouldn't be difficult to have one custom made for the Edge, but be nice for Ford to have done so.

IMHO Ford doesn't care. It would be too much like right for them to issue metal replacement pans. I guess they have too much inventory so it makes sense to them to keep sending them out. They enjoy paying dealers for their warranty service.  Perhaps this is a write off for them.  

7 hours ago, Xtra said:

I asked for my old pan but I was told because it was a warranty item it had to go back to Ford. My plan was to have it sand cast in aluminum and machine as necessary. I just looked at Tasca Parts and the 2017- 2018 F-150 2.7 still had the plastic pan listed . Perhaps it was the 3.5EB that got the metal pan. 

Correct! It's pure speculation on my end.  The F series is marketed towards people who work with their vehicles. The Edge is marketed to those who commute in them. 

Ford only became proactive with the 3.5 when people complained and they started having warranty work by the hundreds if not thousands. Like I said pure speculation. No matter how you slice it or dice it Ford decided to do something about the F series oil pan debacle, the edge not so much. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, akirby said:

I've heard a tech say that if you follow the replacement procedure correctly the pans don't leak.  But there are a lot of techs out there that don't do it correctly so they continue to leak.

I agree. It is an easy fix but it takes time to do correctly. The oil has to completely drain out after the pan is removed . Mine was left overnight then it was completely de greased before reassembly.

• Like 1

Good evening all,

My question to all whom have had oil pan leaks is what was the mileage that you first noticed this issue. I have a 2016 Sport and it only has 18,000 miles on it. I would be very watchful when it approaches those miles where it was first noticed.

Secondly, being an automotive engineer who has some time with them, my speculation is Ford is collecting these pans to see if there is some commonality causing the leak. Possibly, from the supplier of the pans or makers of the pan gaskets. I guess if this is the case, then they can go back to the supplier for reimbursement costs.

Also, the 2.7 can build up a lot of heat in the Edge's cramped engine bay leading to premature component failure.

Anyway, now I'll be keeping a watchful eye on my garage floor and unfortunately, my warranty has run out. 

One last comment. There is an old saying" the squeaky wheel gets the grease ".

Insistance is very persuasive at getting results. So complain, complain, complain, but don't be an arrogant alpha hotel and the dealerships may work with you towards making amends for your loyalty to Ford.

Edited by scorpionking0102
Added comment
  • Like 1

Another comment why Ford has a metal replacement is there are more F150's sold in the United States than any other vehicle brand and if Ford wants to remain top dog in truck sales and possibly make it to being on top for 50 years, they have to keep their truck audience satisfied and content.

The Edge nameplate will be long gone before then.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, scorpionking0102 said:

Good evening all,

My question to all whom have had oil pan leaks is what was the mileage that you first noticed this issue. I have a 2016 Sport and it only has 18,000 miles on it. I would be very watchful when it approaches those miles where it was first noticed.

Mine started leaking at 24K I now have 24.8k. . Also I am not sure there is a gasket, RTV is all they use to seal it . That is why it has to be de-greased completely before install and has to cure before use. I have a place that will cast for $16 per pound no set up fee. So if anyone has a pan sitting around that they don’t want let me know. I can get it cast in aluminum machine it and add an O ring possibly . 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

Got link?

I cannot find them online yet. I work at an auto parts chain store and we got them early I guess. They’re really nice, let me take a photo. It’s a new trico premium style rear blade a lot quieter of a wipe than the OEM one!

here is an album, two photos. Sorry it’s shit quality, it’s night time here. 

https://imgur.com/a/77VV8ix

Edited by AntDeek
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, AntDeek said:

I cannot find them online yet. I work at an auto parts chain store and we got them early I guess. They’re really nice, let me take a photo. It’s a new trico premium style rear blade a lot quieter of a wipe than the OEM one!

Sounds good. I can't say that i have heard anyone enthusiastic about the rear bade before. Which auto parts chain do you work at?  Can I order it online?  I've had success with Trico premium blades before.  My lady and I both need wipers. She currently has PIAA blades. I'm not opposed to buying them again. But I am definitely open to suggestions. 

7 hours ago, omar302 said:

You have a Gen2 Edge, his is a Gen1. The stock wipers are different so maybe this wouldn't work.

Correct! I am also looking into getting wipers for my lady's 2013 edge.

3 hours ago, AntDeek said:

These new ones are cool because every box contains multiple clips for different vehicles so these are truly universal. 

If I can find them, I plan on trying one on my Gen2. If it works great! If not the hunt continues. 

2 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

Look forward to it. One thing of note. You originally mentioned the rear beam blade that you installed is 15". Safe to assume that the one in the photo is not the one you installed?

that’s correct, I already tossed the box from my oversized 15. I just wanted to show off the retail packaging so you guys can find them. I really like how quiet they are for some reason.

the one on my car in that photo is a 15.

Edited by AntDeek

Just now, AntDeek said:

that’s correct, I already tossed the box from my oversized 15. I just wanted to show off the retail packaging so you guys can find them. I really like how quiet they are for some reason.

Gotcha!  There is a lot to be said for peace and quite. It's the little things that matter.