What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

7 hours ago, PrinzII said:

Mileage: 174,480

Next projects:

- Replacing HIDs with LEDs

- Restoring clarity to my headlight assemblies

- Replacing Windshield washer nozzles and (maybe) hoses

Since the last time I was on here:

- Replaced upper grille trim

I wrote a little about my experiences in replacing nozzles in this thread:

As far as headlight restoration,  I use two products that have kept my 2009 MKX headlights crystal clear. Do this annually in the fall.

To clean and polish the plastic lens, I use Meguiar's Plastx Cleaner and Polish. Rub thoroughly into the plastic and wipe off with clean microfiber towel.

After the lens is clean and clear, I treat the plastic against UV with Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating. It comes in a pressurized spray can and requires two coats. Just follow directions.

I'm certain there are other products that will work just as well, but I can verify these two will keep your headlights clear. If your headlights are really bad, consider using Meguiar's headlight restoration kit first.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

On 9/28/2019 at 11:06 AM, Brucifer said:

Any suggestions as to slightly over powered lift gate arms? Don't want to break my jaw when I unsnap the gate, but something that definitely has some oomph.

Have not really found any.  The Sachs labeled products seem to do quite well tho.  I am about to put Motorcrafts on.

I also forgot to mention that I replaced my battery.  Best part was that I had warranty remaining which meant the battery replacement cost me $0.  I always go for the Extreme batteries at O'Reilly's and they hold up quite well.  I didn't have to change my battery for 3 years.  Many folks have to change them annually or every two years.

• Like 2

Decided to go for a drive and see what was going on with the Snake after attending the Galpin Car Show. The last time I was at the Snake it was not accessible as the bridge had burned down in the fires we had here back in December 2018. They have fixed the bridge with a temporary ( I hope that it's temporary  ) narrow one way bridge that has a signal to control traffic. Although the bridge was open the Snake is still closed due to down wires and power lines. I had to turn back just past the Rock Store. It will be a good day when it re-opens, it has almost been a year now. 

BURNED BRIDGE copy.jpg

SINGLE LANE BRIDGE @ SNAKE.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, PrinzII said:

I also forgot to mention that I replaced my battery.  Best part was that I had warranty remaining which meant the battery replacement cost me $0.  I always go for the Extreme batteries at O'Reilly's and they hold up quite well.  I didn't have to change my battery for 3 years.  Many folks have to change them annually or every two years.

My auto engine start/stop hasn't worked since I bought my edge 5 months ago, from what I can find online, it seems like the battery is about the only reason it wouldn't be working. 

Do they replace your battery every 3 years for free? 

14 hours ago, soUNTOUCHABLE said:

My auto engine start/stop hasn't worked since I bought my edge 5 months ago, from what I can find online, it seems like the battery is about the only reason it wouldn't be working. 

Typically, yes.  In my case, I had just enough warranty to have them replace it for free.

• Like 1

After speaking with VLEDs yesterday, I am looking at these to replace my HIDs:

https://www.vleds.com/shop-application/application-low-beam/9012-hir2/micro-extreme-9012.html

The price for these is $164 including the warning cancellers.  I know some folks may balk but I'd rather pay the extra for better warranty and better quality.  Plus, wifey did give me the green light for lighting upgrades......lbvvvs

• Like 2

14 hours ago, soUNTOUCHABLE said:

If your car is only 5 months old, haven't you taken it in for warranty service? 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, enigma-2 said:

If your car is only 5 months old, haven't you taken it in for warranty service? 

I bought it used, it's just outside it's manufacturers warranty, havent had a chance to get it in to the dealership to find out if that's the issue or what. Hoped i could figure something out on my own though, dealerships want to charge an arm and a leg just to take a look at anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Check to see if there are any codes set, that might provide some insight into the fault.  Might be the same reason why remote start fails to work, i.e., an important code is set and materially affects function.

There are no lights on in the dash, I'll have to take it to auto zone and have them check it. 

You might want to arm yourself with an OBD II reader and Forscan Lite.  These are essential tools for the modern vehicle, since the advent of OBD II anyway.  The reader must be able to get info from both the HSCAN and MSCAN buses.

Hopefully Autozone reads all the modules, I have heard they only retrieve powertrain Pxxxx codes.

• Like 1

I am about to go out and take care of some business and it is snowing in So Cal again . Not the kind of snow the rest of the world knows but Southern California snow. It is snowing ash.... the fires are back !! Overnight 25,000+ homes and 100,000 people have been evacuated just 8 miles from my house. . It is safe where I live but the ash rains down, the sky is dark and it smells of smoke . :( It has been bad for the last two years. Most people enjoy four seasons we have 3.. summer,  winter and fire.

• Sad 2

On 10/12/2019 at 7:59 PM, Smitty said:

Still had the original Michelin tires on my 2012...81,600 miles. Decided it was time for some new rubber. Ended up getting a set of Hercules Terra Trac Cross-V. On the short ride home, it was a lot smoother, quieter.

With only 24,000 miles on my car I am on my 3rd set of tires!!! The canyons eat them up fast! The Scorpion Verde All Season tires the car came with lasted only 8,000 miles. I replaced the Scorpions with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Summer tires and they lasted for 16,000 miles of canyon work. Could have pushed it another 2 or 3,000 miles but I cut a tire sidewall in a pothole so I just replaced them all. There are other less expensive choices available that provide good performance and bang for the buck but the PS4S tires transformed my car and I am a believer.  IMHO they are the best performance summer tire available for the Edge Sport or ST. The PS4S with my mods to the suspension work perfect together with great turn in and road feel. They have never just let go at the extreme and that gives me confidence to drive the canyons that are in my back yard. I will continue to use the Michelin PS4S tires until I can no longer afford them.

TIRE RACK TEST RESULTS

ROAD MANNERS & DRY/WET TRACK(COMBINED SUBJECTIVE OVERALL RATING) (Higher Number Is Better)

8.37 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

8.07Pirelli P Zero (PZ4)

6.61Toyo Proxes Sport

7.12Yokohama ADVAN Apex V601

1.  In real world road ride ratings. The PS4S had the best Ride Comfort, Noise Comfort, best Handling and overall Road Rating.

2.  In Performance Drive Data- Dry Test Track. The PS4S had the best Cornering Stability, Steering Response, Braking Modulation, Handling Predictability and Overall Track Rating.

3. The PS4S had the best Slalom Times, Lap Times,  the shortest Stopping Distance Wet or Dry and the Highest Cornering G-Force of all 4 tire brands tested. 

IMG_2753.jpgIMG_2752.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Normally I find Michelin and Continental neck n neck.  But yeah the Pilot Sport series is outstanding.

On 10/12/2019 at 10:59 PM, Smitty said:

Still had the original Michelin tires on my 2012...81,600 miles. Decided it was time for some new rubber. Ended up getting a set of Hercules Terra Trac Cross-V. On the short ride home, it was a lot smoother, quieter.

Will have to look these up, new 2 me.

• Like 1