What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

I have seen a few of the new electric Mustang crossovers around, but yesterday I saw the GT version, with a stated 3.5 seconds to 60mph  for the first time.  It was brand new with paper plates and  it pulls up next top me at a light . Now I know that my cars best time is 4.3 seconds to 60mph and also I know I was outgunned. I was not expecting it but when the light changed, he took offhand so I give chase just to see what he has. To put it in racing terms he treed me big time and had a two car jump before I even reacted. I fully expected him to walk away from me , but to my surprise I started to close on him before we both let off around 50 mph. Now I wonder if those stated times that Ford brags about translate onto the street. If we had started together it would have been very very close. and a 4. 5 or 4.3 is not even close to a 3.5.  Oh! forgot this happened in Mexico.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Xtra said:

I have seen a few of the new electric Mustang crossovers around, but yesterday I saw the GT version, with a stated 3.5 seconds to 60mph  for the first time.  It was brand new with paper plates and  it pulls up next top me at a light . Now I know that my cars best time is 4.3 seconds to 60mph and also I know I was outgunned. I was not expecting it but when the light changed, he took offhand so I give chase just to see what he has. To put it in racing terms he treed me big time and had a two car jump before I even reacted. I fully expected him to walk away from me , but to my surprise I started to close on him before we both let off around 50 mph. Now I wonder if those stated times that Ford brags about translate onto the street. If we had started together it would have been very very close. and a 4. 5 or 4.3 is not even close to a 3.5.  Oh! forgot this happened in Mexico.

"We tested the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition, and it reached 60 mph in 3.7 seconds on its way to a 12.7-second quarter-mile at 101 mph.

It was 1.2 seconds quicker to 60 mph and 0.9 second quicker through the quarter-mile than the standard Mustang Mach-E we tested, but the GT Performance recorded a lower trap speed.

We noticed that the GT Performance started to severely limit power after about 80 mph, and was actually 2.1 seconds slower to reach 110 mph than a lesser Mach-E 4X."

Mach-e 0-60 @ 1/4 Mile Times

So basically unleash a bunch of current instantaneously and then dial it back down gradually. To make it feel fast in daily driving and maybe occasional 1/8 mile stuff.

Quicker than my Nautilus, slower than my Mustang. Might be an option when I consolidate my vehicles down to one...................when I turn 80.

Edited by handfiler
shitty grammar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, p7363 said:

today, I have changed the windshield wiper blade after 94,000kms!  yea, I know, it's boring!

That must be a record. I only get one winter out of a set before they start streaking at about 10,000 miles. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 7:57 PM, handfiler said:

So basically unleash a bunch of current instantaneously and then dial it back down gradually. To make it feel fast in daily driving and maybe occasional 1/8 mile stuff.

Don't know how its done in the modern cars, years ago when they were developing the electric drive, they moderated power by "pulsing" (turning the current on and off quickly) the current through the controller (or was it the contactor?) and motor. They had to limit the maximum current to prevent the motor and controller from overheating and burning out.

It also dialed back the length of time the current was "on" based on how hot the controller was getting. (Full acceleration would make the controller and motor super hot very quickly). By dialing the current back it slowed the rate at which the components continued to heat.

• Like 1

Checked the water level in the Battery. The "Maintenance free" Motorcraft BXT- 90T5-590, stock for my Edge.

Always wanted to test that theory so I did. The cover came off using a screw driver and prying it off from the side.

The battery is exactly 2 years old, only the two side cells had the level low enough to expose the some of the plates. Took about 150 ml to fill all the cells to the bottom of the fill holes.

Also, found considerable acid/corrosion under the negative terminal that was completely hidden without disconnecting the terminal.

Will see if it has any long term effect. Life of Batteries in our climate rarely exceed 2 years. Cheaper batteries usually fail just after the 1 year warranty period.

IMG-20211211-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20211211-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20211211-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20211211-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20211211-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20211211-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20211211-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20211211-WA0007.jpg

Edited by omar302
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You probably added two years to your battery's life by adding water to those cells. Also remember to clean the top of the battery. Even a thin film of residue dried acid-water residue can cause a trickle discharge to occur in hot climates. 

I doubt the corrosion had much effect as it only affect the resistance unless it forms between the connection. Corrosion under the connection doesn't cause a resistance in and of itself. But it  would probably work its way into the connection eventually so best to remove. Consider adding "anti corrosion washers" under the connection to prevent in the future. (Or an anti corrosion grease like "super lube").

Coke Cola is good for removing corrosion (acidic). So is lemon juice.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 6:45 PM, Xtra said:

That must be a record. I only get one winter out of a set before they start streaking at about 10,000 miles. 

One way to extend their life is to wipe the rubber parts with an alcohol wipe to remove the grime; then treat with 303 Automotive Protectant.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0185PU38A/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_DWEWESH3MHHATHJGYE3H

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Installed Weathertech window deflectors (part #80796 front pair only) on the front windows.  Chose only the fronts since I read many reports that the rears create a lot of wind noise.  Installation was easy enough, made sure the front lip was installed on the OUTSIDE of the window trim (as the instructions emphasize and a brightly colored sticker on the deflector itself).  I did wind up with a couple small chips broken out of the rear end of both deflectors, the part that installs in the channel, so its not visible from the outside and does not effect form or function.  It seems the thickness of that portion of the deflectors could have been a touch thinner, but I'm happy with the end result.   IMG_20211216_160717.thumb.jpg.d2313297951a4ace0bab318cbf80599b.jpg1846869910_EdgePassDeflectorfromrear.thumb.jpg.109e2cf09cadbae5f4894ff1ba69c339.jpgIMG_20211216_160711.thumb.jpg.36a0f0a8150ab2d20cead82ec8667368.jpg

• Like 3

Things are getting pretty serious around here... Class III 4,500lbs towing capacity (even though the edge is rated for 3,500lbs), 675lbs tongue weight, 2 inch receiver. Since an Exploder is too big for us to use on daily basis, this is a decent alternative for storage while traveling. Way over kill, but might tow a utility trailer from time to time. Also way cheaper to purchase through...... Home Depot at $180 with a $40 off PayPal coupon. Can't beat that! 

Attach31067_20211222_124006.jpg

Attach31068_20211222_124009.jpg

Attach31071_20211222_124247.jpg

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 3

On 12/9/2021 at 7:45 PM, Xtra said:

ouch that's not good!  I got the cheapest ones but I regret it because at -20 degres Celcius, they do not clean at all!!! no flexibility in the cheap rubber!!

• Like 1