Jump to content
WWWPerfA_ZN0W

What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

Recommended Posts

Took a break and did some more work and finished.

 

 

It came out ok but it needs covering. 

IMG_9806.JPG

 

 

I learned that the Goo Gone melts the glue and any runoff will leave a residue. I need to go back and clean up the mess I made on the rear glass

IMG_9804.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, that alone has convinced me that I never want a wrap

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, tsquale said:

Welp, that alone has convinced me that I never want a wrap

I agree, the wrap did not last that long, about 3 years, and it cost $300 to put it on. But having to pay $800 to replace every few years is not good. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2022 at 6:53 PM, Xtra said:

I got a quote and they wanted 3 shop hours at $120 per hr to remove the wrap, and $800 to clean and re wrap. No thank you!! 

Ouch !!!   Wonder how many guys put wrap on their cars not knowing that it has to be removed in a few years. (Three years does sound a little short, perhaps it's less in a hot, sunny environment). 

 

Looks like your getting there. Lot of work. I'd try the heat gun, gets the vinyl much hotter and softens the adhesive better, than the sun. I'd try to avoid any type of mechanical removal tool. Even of it didn't scratch, it may scuff the paint.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cleaned up the mess the Goo Gone made and have decided to not remove the hood wrap at this time.

What I have learned:

Remove wraps while they are still elastic and playable , not dried out and spiderweb cracked. 

Of all the tools I tried the eraser wheel did the fastest, best job, it removed the wrap and the glue without any visible damage to the paint.

The metal long handle scraper scratched the paint when the plastic blade slipped.

The smaller plastic scrapers worked well and did not leave any scratches, but progress was to slow. They were better for small touch up and finish work.

The GooGone worked at melting most of the glue, but it made a sticky residue on everything it touched, and was messy to work with.  

 Better to let a pro do it if you can afford it. 

 

After review, I decided to save some duckets then have the graphics painted on. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a flat when I went to the plastic shop to pick up the prototype V3 today.

 

 

Much more than a nail or screw. It looks like part of a sizzor blade. They were able to patch it from the inside and I was on my way. 

IMG_9861 2.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Test fit & run with Mockins cargo hauler bought last year. Used the anti-ratted clip unloaded & didn't hear anything after an hour drive. Maybe the weather will hold out & I can test it with a load. Supposedly can haul 600lbs, but don't plan hauling anywhere near that with this. I like that you can still access the hatch with it installed. 

Attach32968_20220409_163836.jpg

Attach32969_20220409_163839.jpg

Attach32970_20220409_163842.jpg

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found out our Edge is going to get totaled out yesterday. My fiance was rear-ended in stop and go traffic at a roundabout. It was super low speed but the body shop found the rear frame rails were bent so the quote went from $1500 to $33,000. I hope we can find another low mileage Sport to replace this one as we loved it. We are just waiting on insurance to review the new quote and give us our payout amount. Then we need to figure out how to pay off our current loan, get a new loan, find a new car, etc. Ugh. I thought we were done with this for a while.  

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so sorry to hear. hope you can get replacement value from the insurance company. sometimes you have to fight for it sometimes you don't. with the rising prices over the last couple of years, paying attention to this is very important.  @bscott94

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2022 at 10:25 AM, bscott94 said:

Found out our Edge is going to get totaled out yesterday. My fiance was rear-ended in stop and go traffic at a roundabout. It was super low speed but the body shop found the rear frame rails were bent so the quote went from $1500 to $33,000. I hope we can find another low mileage Sport to replace this one as we loved it. We are just waiting on insurance to review the new quote and give us our payout amount. Then we need to figure out how to pay off our current loan, get a new loan, find a new car, etc. Ugh. I thought we were done with this for a while.  

It might not be totaled after all. Our insurance sent someone to look at it and the damage to the left frame rail is so minor, he believes it can be pulled back into shape. He said he's seen it done before. He couldn't see any damage to the right frame rail but the shop claims there is. I think we are going to take it to a new shop to get a second opinion. Hopefully we don't have to wait another month for the next shop. Fingers crossed we get our ride back soon. 

 

It looks like most of the damage to the frame rail is just on the bumper reinforcement mounting surface which, based on the spot welds, is a part that can be removed and replaced. 

IMG_0310.JPEG

IMG_0312.JPEG

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am amazed that what appears to be such little damage would be considered enough to scrap such a nice car. I am sorry for your loss and the inconvenience. I hope that you find a nice equivalent replacement soon. :)

Hmmm ... Just dreaming, after all it is a Sport ..... Buy it from the insurance company for pennies on the dollar as scrap, then gut and strip over 1,000 pounds out of it.  Put in some H&R springs, tune it, drop in some light weight race seats and keep the outside stock. Hang on!!! :shift:

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found out that the 2020+ ST Wheel Centercaps are a 100% replacement for my 2016 21", only they are black instead of blue. Part number FR3Z-1003-A. Got them for about $11 each. I had previously purchased an aftermarket set like those available in eBay or Aliexpress (set of 4 for about $12), but they did not fit correctly, the tabs were shorter and they would be loose and easily fall off. I also found a site that sells the set (4 pieces) for $34.95 (link), but as I still had to ship them overseas, my local dealer's price made more sense.

 

 

IMG20220418211200.jpg

IMG20220418220023.jpg

IMG20220418220042.jpg

IMG20220418220058.jpg

IMG20220418220113.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Xtra said:

I am amazed that what appears to be such little damage would be considered enough to scrap such a nice car. I am sorry for your loss and the inconvenience. I hope that you find a nice equivalent replacement soon. :)

Hmmm ... Just dreaming, after all it is a Sport ..... Buy it from the insurance company for pennies on the dollar as scrap, then gut and strip over 1,000 pounds out of it.  Put in some H&R springs, tune it, drop in some light weight race seats and keep the outside stock. Hang on!!! :shift:

😃 I said the same thing to my fiance. I was going to buy it back, tune it and make it lower and wider. I think it would make it fun on a road course lol. If we had space to store a non street car, it would be highly considered. We also thought about buying it back, putting a bumper cover on it, and calling it "Rebuilt". It's on it's way to a new shop for a second opinion. We might just get it back repaired with a clean title.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, omar302 said:

Found out that the 2020+ ST Wheel Centercaps are a 100% replacement for my 2016 21", only they are black instead of blue. Part number FR3Z-1003-A. Got them for about $11 each. I had previously purchased an aftermarket set like those available in eBay or Aliexpress (set of 4 for about $12), but they did not fit correctly, the tabs were shorter and they would be loose and easily fall off. I also found a site that sells the set (4 pieces) for $34.95 (link), but as I still had to ship them overseas, my local dealer's price made more sense.

 

 

IMG20220418211200.jpg

IMG20220418220023.jpg

IMG20220418220042.jpg

IMG20220418220058.jpg

IMG20220418220113.jpg

I wish this info would've been available a few months ago. I got the aftermarket ones and removed the covers to replace the blue covers on the plastic that fits. It worked fine but just buying and popping in would've been preferred. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bscott94 said:

😃 I said the same thing to my fiance. I was going to buy it back, tune it and make it lower and wider. I think it would make it fun on a road course lol. If we had space to store a non street car, it would be highly considered. We also thought about buying it back, putting a bumper cover on it, and calling it "Rebuilt". It's on it's way to a new shop for a second opinion. We might just get it back repaired with a clean title.

best of luck, hope the insurance comes thru with a clean title.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife went out to take the MKX to the store and the battery was dead. Went out and checked it was a nice pile of corrosion was growing over the positive terminal. (Last I checked it, there was only a little touch of green under the battery connector. No big deal).

 

So I poured a can of coke over the pos terminal, disolved the crud then  measured the CCA rating. 650 CCA new, battety was now showing 350 CCAs. Getting over 14 volts when running, so nader was good. But 350 is getting a little low. So ....

 

Scheduled to heve a new battery put in today. They put in a Motorcraft 36 month unit, $140 but used my Ford points and got it for free. Plus got 2000 more points for the battery today. Modern version of S&H Green Stamps.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emptied the JLT 3.0 catch can yesterday after 2k miles of install time.

About 1 tablespoon of thin black oily garbage that didn't make it to the intake valves.

Definitely worth it

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the day off work to do truck stuff 

Attach0_20220511_210840.jpg

Attach0_20220511_210845.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Installed a car seat base as we finally brought our daughter home from the NICU :)

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tsquale said:

Installed a car seat base as we finally brought our daughter home from the NICU :)

great to hear, best of luck, prayers and hugs for the little one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

installed the 170° thermostat today. 

ECT used to hold around 196 while rolling along at speed, now it is around 180-181 (70°F ambient @ 60mph)

CHT (Head temperature) is similarly reduced at cruise, but still ramps up significantly (as expected) when the fun pedal is matted.

 

Its not a good time but not a nightmare job either.  I Just moved the expansion / degassing tank aside & removed the air hose between the up pipe and the throttle body, and reached around the mount from both sides.

and I have big mitts.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought this for ~$100 to see if it helps the sagging while towing. Did a run with a load in the hatch & didn't notice much of a difference, but I'll see what it does with the trailer in the next few weeks. 

Attach35638_20220515_125307.jpg

Attach35666_20220515_130123.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those should work well. I have used similar air bags before when I towed a boat with one of my past cars. I ran an air hose between them and filled them both from one tire type valve that was mounted below the bumper. It worked well and towed much better . I was able to level the ride and keep the headlights on the ground, as before they pointed up at the sky. I also used a clip-on towing mirror for the drivers side. For $100 you can’t go wrong 😑

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing lildisco's pics reminded me I used my Edge to tow a trailer for the first time a couple of weeks back.image.thumb.png.4baeb73fd06d4ba839dd53bf7a891c0d.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brings back memories of the late 70's for me. My brother and I owned RD 350's as well as 400's. We could wheelie them for blocks. My brother also road raced them at the local level. Great machines! Had the opportunity to see Miguel Duhamel race one at our track before he made it big in AMA Superbike. He smoked the local competition that weekend.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×