What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

11 hours ago, handfiler said:

Brings back memories of the late 70's for me. My brother and I owned RD 350's as well as 400's. We could wheelie them for blocks. My brother also road raced them at the local level. Great machines! Had the opportunity to see Miguel Duhamel race one at our track before he made it big in AMA Superbike. He smoked the local competition that weekend.

Yes. As you can probably tell from my profile I love 1970s Japanese strokers. I can't believe I've now had that RD for 30 years! I bought it from my best mate's girlfriend at the time a year before my eldest son was born. Where does time go??

• Like 3

I just received a letter from a California law firm. The 2015-2018 Edge,  2017-2019 Escape, and 2017 - 2019 Fusion 1.5L and 2.0L Ecoboost can have a defect that can cause coolant loss, white exhaust smoke, misfires, check engine light, and engine overheating. If you have had two trips to the Ford dealer to fix the problem  you may be entitled to a complete refund of the money you originally paid for the car!!!  This is only possible because of California's Lemon Law. 

I had no idea that there was even a problem with these cars. I love my EcoBoost.

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1

I just replaced the accordion side shield and structural guide (they're sold together as a kit) on the drivers side of the BAMR. Old one came off easy enough, one yank and it was off. Going back on was another story. Didn't memorize how the old one attached (it was off the track anyway).  So what should have taked 15 minutes took a hour. Finally fixed. I  had jury rigged old one for a couple of years now. (Had gotten the old one to hold by getting hot in the sun and the forcing it back into shape. But that only held for a month or so). Seems once these shields pop out it's very difficult to get back into place and holding. (Seen where another guy used Gorilla glue to hold his on. Something to keep in mind). 

Think I paid around ~$68 last year,  just got around to installing. Seen where they're now selling for double. $135 for one!

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The stated purpose is to "protect the bottom part of the car, especially the engine, from water, mud, rocks, and road debris always and from all angles. It also ensures that noise coming from the roadside does not penetrate the interior of the vehicle."

About the only thing I can think of is that it may affect the active noise cancelation. Part of it is tuned to cancel road rumble which may get louder without the panels. 

#mrmikesdeuce we have selected you as our guinny pig. Report back in two weeks as to any negative side effects. lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

#mrmikesdeuce we have selected you as our guinny pig. Report back in two weeks as to any negative side effects. lol

This part sounded a little "Hunger Games"..

Enough so that I wanted to finish it with, 

"May the odds be ever in your favor" lol

On 6/3/2022 at 10:18 PM, enigma-2 said:

The stated purpose is to "protect the bottom part of the car, especially the engine, from water, mud, rocks, and road debris always and from all angles. It also ensures that noise coming from the roadside does not penetrate the interior of the vehicle."

About the only thing I can think of is that it may affect the active noise cancelation. Part of it is tuned to cancel road rumble which may get louder without the panels. 

Took the panel off. Driving down interstate was getting a strange noise.. If you take this panel off, be sure to re attach the front of the panel behind it. I didn't and it was flopping in the breeze. Luckily I did no damage. So far so good! otherwise!

• Like 1

Took a road trip, with 170° thermostat installed, used forscan with bluetooth dongle to see temps after hours of rolling down the highway

From the TransferCase Fluid temp, its now obvious why they have a cooler in more recent models..

232 seems a bit high for my liking considering no real load, no weight added, no additional aerodynamic drag or towing, and only about  90° ambient temp

just realized that was not forscan, that was OBDlink

https://www.dropbox.com/s/naus0c8c1t2q7k2/2022-06-11 14.08.20.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Cerberus
Correction
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Took a road trip, with 170° thermostat installed, used forscan with bluetooth dongle to see temps after hours of rolling down the highway

From the TransferCase Fluid temp, its now obvious why they have a cooler in more recent models..

232 seems a bit high for my liking considering no real load, no weight added, no additional aerodynamic drag or towing, and only about  90° ambient temp

just realized that was not forscan, that was OBDlink

Your post reminded me I had taken similar readings when the temperature here reached 50 degrees Celsius few days ago. Granted my trip was about 20km long. By the time I changed the unit to "F" the outside temp reading went down from 50C to 49C. The last one was after 5 minutes of leaving the highway and driving in stop and go traffic/signals.

It is noted that my 2016 Edge Sport has the "Hot Market AWD" additional cooling. It includes a PTU cooler and an additional "standalone" Transmission cooler, not sure if there is anything else.

Temps 1.jpg

Temps 2.jpg

Temps 3.jpg

Temps 4.jpg

Engine Cooling - Component Location 27l.pdf

• Like 3

2 hours ago, omar302 said:

Your post reminded me I had taken similar readings when the temperature here reached 50 degrees Celsius few days ago. Granted my trip was about 20km long. By the time I changed the unit to "F" the outside temp reading went down from 50C to 49C. The last one was after 5 minutes of leaving the highway and driving in stop and go traffic/signals.

It is noted that my 2016 Edge Sport has the "Hot Market AWD" additional cooling. It includes a PTU cooler and an additional "standalone" Transmission cooler, not sure if there is anything else.

Temps 4.jpg

This is interesting.

So even though your ambient temp was over 20 degrees higher than mine, the PTU temp was 20 degrees cooler.

I'd be curious to see if that changed with distance/ time driving, but with a cooling system like yours, I don't suspect it would change much.

Now I wonder if I could retrofit the PTU cooler parts to mine...

• Like 3

I'd be curious to see if that changed with distance/ time driving, but with a cooling system like yours, I don't suspect it would change much.

I'm curious too, will definitely check if I do take it on a long trip, however, given that the driveline is mostly FWD when cruising at highway speeds, shouldn't it cool off the PTU because of the reduced load? Maybe check your AWD gauge and see how it looks? 

Edited by omar302
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, omar302 said:

I'm curious too, will definitely check if I do take it on a long trip, however, given that the driveline is mostly FWD when cruising at highway speeds, shouldn't it cool off the PTU because of the reduced load? Maybe check your AWD gauge and see how it looks? 

I don't think the heating that the PTU experiences is from driving load exclusively or even primarily, at least in my case.  I think it might just be heat soak from air flow off the rear turbo and exhaust piping. 

To that point, my screen shot above was taken 2 hours into a 3 hour highway run, which as you correctly point out, is primarily operating as FWD.

I suspect that since your PTU cooler is plumbed in the coolant circuit with its own pump, I don't suspect your PTU temp will change much regardless of how you drive it, with what load or in what conditions,  assuming the system doesn't have any component failures,  like the separate coolant pump. Probably the only potential weak point in the system. 

In your climate, you could make a strong argument for installing the 170° thermostat which would keep the PTU a bit cooler as well

• Like 3

need to retune the fans along with the 170 tstat to take advantage. otherwise you are just delaying the initial rise to operating temperature.

the other proactive piece of course is to use a better fluid - such as Amsoil Severe Gear or Redline Lightweight Shockproof.

as for difference the cooler makes

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

need to retune the fans along with the 170 tstat to take advantage. otherwise you are just delaying the initial rise to operating temperature.

the other proactive piece of course is to use a better fluid - such as Amsoil Severe Gear or Redline Lightweight Shockproof.

as for difference the cooler makes

The fan set point argument is categorically not true. In stop and go traffic the temperatures may rise to normal operation range (not always) , but at highway speeds, or anything above 30mph steady state, I see a sustained 10-15 degree decrease in coolant temp and cylinder head temp.

And I am using the redline light weight shockproof.

Thanks for the video clip

But I'm not sure if it is really relevant since it is a few years older and a different iteration than the model I own

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

probably just a hose slipped off the IC or up pipe

That’s what I thought as well. Turned out it is the IC. Have not seen it yet so I don’t know the problem. U.P. was super cool and  said that they would  fix it no charge. It is one of the first ones they made 4 or 5 years ago, and the only fail that they have had with them. 
My thought is a weld popped we will find out soon enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enigma-2 said:

You go with OEM pads & rotors; or ??

Go with SS nuts, or stay with OE?

Raybestos Element 3 rotors and pads from Rock Auto. (RAYBESTOS 681995FZN & RAYBESTOS EHT1818)

It was not absolutely necessary, but I had gotten my rotors up to a dark cherry red glow after a particularly hard run through a local fun road at 4am... ( i have pictures lol)

.. and there was some pulsation when coming down from highway speeds, soo... yeah

Lugnuts were a kit purchase from a local parts store, I want to say Dorman, gun metal bronze with 4 spline drive locknuts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1