What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

Got rid of the single horn that they put in the '18 models and replaced it with a twin-horn setup from the earlier model years. Pretty easy...take out the left side headlight, remove the old bracket and single "vw bug" horn and replace with OEM Ford part number FA1Z13832B. It's a small thing and took about 30 minutes. Looks like the single horn is the "L" (low), so you really only need the "H" (high) horn, but then you'd have to wire it up. It was about $50.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bofus said:

Got rid of the single horn that they put in the '18 models and replaced it with a twin-horn setup from the earlier model years. Pretty easy...take out the left side headlight, remove the old bracket and single "vw bug" horn and replace with OEM Ford part number FA1Z13832B. It's a small thing and took about 30 minutes. Looks like the single horn is the "L" (low), so you really only need the "H" (high) horn, but then you'd have to wire it up. It was about $50.

That was one of the 1st things I did on our 2020. I thought that they changed to the single horn in 2019 though. 

• Like 1

My 2018 had a single horn, car was manufactured 5/18, I'm not sure exactly when they changed.  The wiring to the horns are MAYBE 16 gauge wire. This includes the "jumper" wire that goes to the second "H" horn on the bracket. My single horn had a single connector for the one connector from the harness. The dual horn only has a single horn connector and then it goes from there to the second horn. Each horn isn't individually wired to the fusebox.

• Like 1

Replaced the little switch on the console as mine looked like someone took a pocketknife or something to it. It's the switch for those with auto-park and has the parking sensor override. New switch was like $80 and was easy to replace without any tools: pop the side console panels, pop the gear-selector surround, then pop this out from the back.  Switch still worked, but it was bugging me.

switch.jpg.f6a2a547504e66accfe9a32cbc6460f1.jpg

• Like 2

Today got an oil change , tires rotated and all systems checked out good.  Also had the transmission shifter cable bushing recall completed. The Sport is now ready for a upcoming road trip to San Diego.  Happy New Year !!!   

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Installed LED Turn signal bulbs. Purchased from Amazon (link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q8RZRZV). Thanks to the recommendation from @enigma-2 from another post recently.

These are the first LED bulbs I found for the Edge that are actually brighter than stock. Also they do not hyperflash. However, with parking lights on, they are too bright and hence when turning on the turn the turn signal they become a bit brighter. This makes the turn signals not easily distinguishable. I had disabled the parking light function using ForScan and for me they only function as turn signals. The Edge still has the signature lights in the bumper to function as parking lights. This issue is from Ford using a single filament bulb (the 7440) and applying 5V power as "parking light" and then 12V power for "turn signal". This does not seem to go well with LEDs. The seller also stated "7440 LED bulbs (not 7443 bulbs) are used as turn signal lights ONLY. "

The ForScan changes were: 726-29-02 xxx* xxxx xxxx 0=Turn Only 1=Turn & Parking/Position (default for 2015-2018 Edge).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, enigma-2 said:

That's "Macan" to us Ford types ..... lol.

Talk about a great piece of pie !!!

Yea my spelling is not the strongest. Still enjoyed it, don’t think that Macan owner did though. Lol

It was almost as good as that guy in a Range Rover Sport SVR who offered me $500 if I could take him . I said “not a bet just $500 if I beat you” he agreed and I took his cash. ?.
The Edge Sport / ST - 2.7EB has great potential and if not overbuilt can run low 4 sec 0 to 60 reliably , and still be an everyday driver. Just have to know how to pick your victims and who to stay away from. 

• Haha 1

Replaced the factory HID bulbs (Sport model) out for the main beam with some bulbs from China. They are whiter (not blue) than the factory HID and match the other lighting on the car. No flickering that I've seen , but I've only been out a twice at night thus far. I've kept the old bulbs around in case I have any issues. Bulbs were pretty cheap at like $43 shipped and took a little over 2 weeks to get here.  Visibility is much improved.  I got these:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802757275161.html

Options I got were the DS3 35000LM CANBUS. I think the 4300k would be that blue-ish light that I'm not terribly keen on having. The 35000 seem to be white enough. I didn't snap any photos as it's hard to capture. I removed each headlight (two 10mm bolts per side) to make it easier to work on the bench. Took me about 15 minutes per side.  I did note that the little rubber dust cover on the passenger side (where the coolant overflow bottle is located) basically fell apart in my hand. I've ordered new ones for that side. I'm guessing the heat from the coolant tank degrades the rubber and turns it into an easily-tearable substance, much like fruit leather.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bofus said:

Replaced the factory HID bulbs (Sport model) out for the main beam with some bulbs from China. They are whiter (not blue) than the factory HID and match the other lighting on the car. No flickering that I've seen , but I've only been out a twice at night thus far. I've kept the old bulbs around in case I have any issues. Bulbs were pretty cheap at like $43 shipped and took a little over 2 weeks to get here.  Visibility is much improved.  I got these:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802757275161.html

Options I got were the DS3 35000LM CANBUS. I think the 4300k would be that blue-ish light that I'm not terribly keen on having. The 35000 seem to be white enough.

I recently got the same for our 2015 MKS (didn't try them on the Edge yet), same DS3 35000LM CANBUS. They claim they are 6500K (color) and i tend to beleive them because they have this "too white" color and as if it is starting to fade to blue. I personally didn't like the color, they are brighter, but the color makes me feel the brighter light is less utilized in actually illuminating black asphalt (if that is a thing). Wish I went with the 4300K. I would have preferred 5000K to 5500K color.

See this comparison (link to site)

bulb-color-e1438039801377.jpg

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, omar302 said:

they have this "too white" color and as if it is starting to fade to blue. I personally didn't like the color, they are brighter, but the color makes me feel the brighter light is less utilized in actually illuminating black asphalt (if that is a thing). 

It's my understanding that it very much is a thing. We have fewer blue cones in our eyes which means we don't see as well with blue light. Plus, blue, because of its shorther wavelength, focuses at a different point on the retnia. Our eyes see best in a yellow-green light. (In-fact, only 2% of the cones see blueish light). You can see better detail in a dark setting with 4300k light. 

Unrelated, I was reading a study that discussed that the old-fashioned 7" round sealed beams actually put more light on the road than our newer polycarbonate housings. (But the newer one illuminate the sides of the roads better).

• Like 4

Picking what tools, spares, and handy items I want to keep under the cargo floor, around the spare tire.

In my 2017 Escape it was pretty shallow, so I had to split up tool kits usually.

The Edge is much deeper, so I could put stuff back in their blow molded cases.

But I fired up the CAD program, and the 3D printer, and started making holders for things. Keep stuff together, and not rattle.

I like this extending lug wrench, and I like having the most commonly needed ones, even though for my vehicle, I only need one.

52668031072_eae910edae_b.jpg

52668529936_f51292fe5a_b.jpg

52668530151_93ae99e508_b.jpg

The 3 spare lug nuts (for $1 more the seller had a 23 pack for Jeeps...3 extra for the spare mount). I tried a surround style holder, but found I could easily replicate the M14x1.5 threads with my printer:

52668530171_d89ee58c6d_b.jpg

Some more of the stuff I am making holders for. The flashlight is nice because we all know that batteries in a device frequently leak and kill the device.

52668813754_7b0a9b158d_b.jpg

Once I get everything in a place, I will post it. I don't really consider this emergency stuff, but when I go places I always get tapped to fix stuff, and I hate dealing with other peoples tools (or lack of), but rope, tie downs, zip ties, rain ponchos, gloves, etc are nice and handy sometimes.

• Like 2

Great idea! Just added a set of McGard lock nuts , and wrench would be handy, what does that extend to? With the edge lug nuts torqued to 162f-lbs are you able to loosen no problems, I am like you, like to have some basics stored in vehicle    Thanks

Seems more like condensation than a full on water/coolant leak into the crank case. Do you live in a humid climate, do lots of cold starts, and possible not get it up to temp and keep it up to temp for your drives? I would get water emulsion on the oil fill cap on a few of my cars in the colder but not frozen parts of the year.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

That's not good sign. You losing cooant?

Negative,  coolant level is good, and consistent.

It's perfectly normal.

The golden light brown stuff is fuel & oil vapor (it gets darker as oil change is closer to due), highly volatile stuff that basically vaporized out of the hot crankcase and was caught by the catch can as it designed to do.

The minimal milky sludge is just condensate from water produced by combustion, which is also perfectly normal.

It's small comfort, but still good to know there is something catching that garbage instead of it going straight into my intake and coking the intake valves.

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 4