What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

2 hours ago, Haz said:

From the Edge Workshop Manual...

Fluorescent Dye etc..

As much as that is all useful information, I'm searching for the relevance ..?

She was not even driving an edge. I'm not even sure if it was a Taurus but it was a blue sedan shit box, and she was about to be ripped off blind.. so I spilt because I didn't want to give any business to such a facility, even if they didn't try to rip me off.. though I expect they would have tried to

• Like 1

So, the discussion touched upon an obviously unscrupulous repair shop which was telling a customer that it was necessary to evacuate & inject dye for the shop to detect the vehicle's A/C leak site(s).

Because this discussion -- and the Forum -- centers upon Edge/MKX-Nautilus, I presumed it would be useful for all of us to know that, in most cases, A/C leaks are immediately detectable in our vehicles due to the leak detection dye provided from the factory and within several OEM A/C replacement parts.

And, that if anyone tells us what you witnessed, that we should do what you did -- walk out.

But, you're right, I should refrain from sharing anything in this thread other than what have I done to my Edge/MKX-Nautilus today.

Go Vols!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Haz said:

know that, in most cases, A/C leaks are immediately detectable in our vehicles due to the leak detection dye provided from the factory and within several OEM A/C replacement parts.

Unless of course, all the refrigerant and dye leaked out. I had this happen when a reciever popped a seam and lost all refrigerant in the system. 

• Like 2

On 5/15/2023 at 2:17 PM, Haz said:

But, you're right, I should refrain from sharing anything in this thread other than what have I done to my Edge/MKX-Nautilus today.

BTW, I'm not oblivious to the irony of this.. because there's a lot of off topic in this thread, and much of it is mine lol

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bscott94 said:

Installed B6 Springs and Struts and H&R lowering springs. It's not super low but way better

IMG_2188.thumb.JPEG.5d8bbe638babf2b2a147730b1eba4e3e.JPEG IMG_2201.thumb.JPEG.a07e39eb5b2792b314ee0068a279998d.JPEG

That is an awesome combo of suspension parts. Not only do they make the car look great you will be surprised how well it will turn corners now. If you live where there are any curvy, twisty roads you should go there and have some fun. The car will also be safer at highway speeds if you ever have to make an emergency lane change it will be up to the task. 

• Like 2

On 5/15/2023 at 4:16 AM, Cerberus said:

No. I heard the whole conversation,  this was just to evac and charge (& dye) the system, so they could find the problem and fix it, for an additional cost 

This time of year, I see AC service specials for under 100$ all the time, and yeah, we know that's not going to ne the whole bill because if it needs service at all, chances are there is a leak that should be fixed too, or a failed component. 

But charging 440$ right up front,  that's a big nut with no rationale for it.

I'm taking my MKX in on Wednesday to get the passenger seat TED replaced and have the a/c system serviced (three new Schrader valves, pump down to test vacuum then recharge). The TED is covered by extended warranty, hoping the a/c is under $200. 

Was thinking about tbe $400 quote. Did she have front and rear A/C? These cars are a lot more expensive to service and do take a lot more refrigerant. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, enigma-2 said:

I'm taking my MKX in on Wednesday to get the passenger seat TED replaced and have the a/c system serviced (three new Schrader valves, pump down to test vacuum then recharge). The TED is covered by extended warranty, hoping the a/c is under $200. 

Was thinking about tbe $400 quote. Did she have front and rear A/C? These cars are a lot more expensive to service and do take a lot more refrigerant. 

I'd have no way to know, it was not mentioned, but being kind of a shitbox sedan, i somewhat doubt it.

For 3 new schraders, pump down,  evac, vac test and refill should be less than 200 IMO for whatever that is worth. I'd guess closer to 100 if no other parts or svc are required.

Side note, I took a hard ride through the dragon on Saturday in the rain and was VERY pleased with the Conti Extreme Contact tires. 

Exceptional grip, even wet.

and yeah, I know I am supposed to be fixing the rear end.. but i'm hoping it will get loud enough or loose enough to be absolutely sure what needs replacing. 

As yet, no bearing has any perceptible play. The dry diff (took ~600ml to fill) gives me reason to suspect that is the problem..

This noise has been slowly progressing for over a year. When the dealer had it for the front brake line recall, they said they could not replicate the noise.. 

that still annoys me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I'd have no way to know, it was not mentioned, but being kind of a shitbox sedan, i somewhat doubt it.

For 3 new schraders, pump down,  evac, vac test and refill should be less than 200 IMO for whatever that is worth. I'd guess closer to 100 if no other parts or svc are required.

Side note, I took a hard ride through the dragon on Saturday in the rain and was VERY pleased with the Conti Extreme Contact tires. 

Exceptional grip, even wet.

and yeah, I know I am supposed to be fixing the rear end.. but i'm hoping it will get loud enough or loose enough to be absolutely sure what needs replacing. 

As yet, no bearing has any perceptible play. The dry diff (took ~600ml to fill) gives me reason to suspect that is the problem..

This noise has been slowly progressing for over a year. W hen the dealer had it for the front brake line recall, they said they could not replicate the noise.. 

that still annoys me. 

Reminds me of a noise I had in my Chinese MT-82 6-SPD right from new. Redline MTL toned it down for a couple years but it gradually got worse. I was finally able to make an accurate diagnosis shortly after adding the supercharger.

Edited by handfiler
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, dabangsta said:

Looks great!

I love it. Except I hit my head on the hatch now even with the top point saved. 

17 hours ago, Xtra said:

That is an awesome combo of suspension parts. Not only do they make the car look great you will be surprised how well it will turn corners now. If you live where there are any curvy, twisty roads you should go there and have some fun. The car will also be safer at highway speeds if you ever have to make an emergency lane change it will be up to the task. 

I live in Indianapolis so not many twisty roads but I'm 30 seconds from Carmel, the city of roundabouts so I get my need for twisties from those. It is much more flat ripping through roundies! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bscott94 said:

I love it. Except I hit my head on the hatch now even with the top point saved. 

Funny you should say that. I am 5'11" and my wife is 4'11". I have to save the limit to open slightly lower than max for her on the Edge. On our 2017 Escape I had to set it 8 inches down from the max, and it was right where my eyeball would be skewered on the corner (and it happened every time...) The hatches open completely different between the two vehicles. I am guessing due to the more extreme angle of the Edge back window/hatch and the more upright hatch and window on the Escape. I fell all the lost space in the Edge with the angle of the back window.

• Like 3

Took my 09 mkx in to dealer on Wednesday, for a no-heat/cool on passenger seat. Mechanic found the TED unit failed. Around $850. Covered by PremiumCare, no cost.

On Thursday they replaced the TED, pumped out the refrigerant, replaced all three Schrader valves, put in dye and refilled. No cost, covered by PremiumCare. 

Had them do a full 172 point inspection. Requires a special diagnostic technician. (Same inspection they do for Ford Certified used cars). $150. Checked everything and found all kinds of problems. Had to order parts so kept car overnight. (Told them to find everything thar needs repair, wanted to have everything repaired before my PremiumCare runs out in June).

Friday, changed transmission fluid, $194, drained coolant, full flush with cleaner and flush with distilled water and refill with coolant. $190. (Mostly labor). Replaced power steering hose, and some other p/s parts. No charge. Replace left and right tie rod ends. No charge. Car hand washed and sent back to re-clean interior (WeatherTech floor mats weren't cleaned completely). No charge.

Car drives like new. No thump-thump  when I drive over rough pavement. Nice and quiet, smooth, tight. Passenger seat heats quickly and can hear seat fan running again. A/C ice cold. Think they told me they put a little over $2800 on the warranty. (Already had the PTU replaced under warranty, was hoping the water pump wound need replacing under warranty before it ran out). 

Only thing I forgot was to have a PTU drain and fill, but haven't put 30k on new unit yet, so should be ok. Car has 132k miles.

• Like 4

On 5/27/2023 at 1:42 PM, enigma-2 said:

Took my 09 mkx in to dealer on Wednesday, for a no-heat/cool on passenger seat. Mechanic found the TED unit failed. Around $850. Covered by PremiumCare, no cost.

Car drives like new.

Man, I hope so.  I think you just about serviced/fixed/replaced everything under the everything!  It sounds like you should easily get another 132K out of it.  Or more.  Nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Me too but mine weighed about 13000 lbs (4 pallets delivered plus 24 bags I hauled in my F150).  Last time I ever do mulch.  LOL

D5AF00F9-4B60-43BD-83F0-D525E88C62F8.jpeg

I get the urge every other yearish. This year the weather was cool enough where I wouldn't drip with sweat doing it, so that was my reasoning this year, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"in local news, a 2019 Edge, a car port, and part of a house mysteriously caught fire"

I was checking the oil level after changing it a few days ago, seeing if I had a heat blanket on the hood, and if I had more flowers and leaves to blow out of air inlets on the cowl when I spotted this:

52940851332_eeef48fc96_b.jpg

52940851187_99f24c5b63_b.jpg

It looked squished and dead, but to be sure I got the wife to protect me, and it unfolded and took off when she poked it with a not long enough stick. I squealed a little, then she got it on the ground and stomped it. No fire needed, but that was my go to.

I don't think the critters like me doing maintenance or washing/detailing my vehicles. This is what I had prowling me when I replace the cat/o2 sensors/spark plugs, and detailed my 2015 Fusion (it is a wasp, really poor pictures):

52762460121_d49a7f3be6_b.jpg

52762460046_008a8f23e1_b.jpg

Edited by dabangsta
  • Haha 2