2013 Edge MFT Navagation Issues

So this issue has popped up again. This is after the software upgrade as well as the replacement of the GPS Module which seemed to resolve the issue for a while but now I am back to the GPS being off sometimes by small amounts and other times like today several streets off and getting worse depending on how long I drive.

So the question is what kind of recourse do I have? This is a HUGE Safety issue that showed up when I was using the Navigation System for what it is designed for - giving me directions to an address that I've never been to. It actually took me the wrong way off the highway and couldn't make up its mind in its "Off Route" messages and almost caused me to get in an accident trying to look at the screen and figure out where I was supposed to go.

I e-mailed Ford and they said that this is a known issue that they have NOT yet resolved on vehicles with the larger tires. They suggested I keep dealing with the dealer and they will eventually roll out a fix.

I am considering hiring a lawyer to get them to buy this back. Between the NAV having a mind of its own, the Voice Controls not working consistently and the mileage being so far over stated by Ford I am so sad that I've wasted my money on this POS.

Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions on recourse?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just to give an update on my situation, as soon as i reverted back to the 20s that came with the car (from 17" - Winter tires), the GPS has been working flawlessly without any issues. So i guess mine had something to do with the "dead reckoning" issue as stated before

Edited by Nexus

I wish mine was that simple, I had 18's on for the Winter (the vehicle came with 20's) and when I put the 20's back on I didn't have any issues until about a month or so afterward and now it is off all the time. How is this Not a Safety Issue? If / when someone gets in an accident because of this lawyers are going to have a field day.

And as much as I was trying to bite my tongue how can anyone say that we rely on our GPS's too much? I have a sub $100 Garmin that has worked flawlessly for what 5 years now? So you are telling me that the multi-thousand dollar piece of crap that I bought with my Edge should be less reliable? Come on... At the same time I understand the need for a backup. I have a book of maps in my car at all times and of course I have a cell phone / google maps. This is NOT THE POINT... The point is that we paid good money for something that is not working properly, is a KNOWN ISSUE that they can't seem to fix reliably.

If you think that a GPS problem is going to get you a lemon law buy-back, you really need to talk to a lawyer first. Lemon laws vary by state but all have basically the same conditions... the defect(s) must significantly affect the operation of the vehicle and the vehicle must have been in the shop for either a certain number of days or a certain number of times without the issue being resolved and it has to be within a specified time period (usually the first year of ownership). I don't think you'll find a lawyer (an honest one if there is such a thing ;)) who would advise you that your problem meets those requirements or even that a navigation failure "significantly affects the operation of the vehicle" considering that the vast majority of new vehicles don't have navigation at all and can be operated safely without it.

I'm afraid you're just going to have to wait for a fix from Ford although it couldn't hurt to try the battery disconnect procedure mentioned earlier.

This is a HUGE Safety issue that showed up when I was using the Navigation System for what it is designed for - giving me directions to an address that I've never been to. It actually took me the wrong way off the highway and couldn't make up its mind in its "Off Route" messages and almost caused me to get in an accident trying to look at the screen and figure out where I was supposed to go.

How is this Not a Safety Issue? If / when someone gets in an accident because of this lawyers are going to have a field day.

Why or how is it a safety issue? First off, if you couldn't tell what to do because of the navigation, instead of driving you should have pulled over. If you had been in an accident and hit someone else, you are correct, the lawyers would have a field day. Unfortunately for you, they would be suing you for inattentive driving! The device also has verbal instructions which don't require you to look at the screen when using the guidance to an address.

Anyone with common sense knows better than to follow the directions from any navigation device which doesn't even show them on a road. Here are at least 8 drivers who should pay more attention to the road rather than what a device is telling them to do, even disregarding road signs warning of roads closed!

http://theweek.com/article/index/243813/8-drivers-who-blindly-followed-their-gps-into-disaster

So you are telling me that the multi-thousand dollar piece of crap that I bought with my Edge should be less reliable?

I also have a 2013 Edge, and the navigation was an option which was included in a package with additional items. If I wanted just the radio with the navigation, it had a sticker price of $795.00, not the multi-thousand you say yours cost!

First, I am sorry to hear you are having problems. There is no need embellish what happens and say you almost got into an accident. Did you run off the road, almost slam into another car, run a red light, what? That as I have mentioned is nothing more than driver error. Second, try the battery disconnecting which has worked for numerous people with similar problems. A free fix which may be the end of your problems hopefully.

When I first got my Edge there were times I was ready to put my fist through the navigation screen because of issues. Turned out, 99% of those issues were because of something I said or did.

Good luck

• Like 1

I am considering hiring a lawyer to get them to buy this back. Between the NAV having a mind of its own, the Voice Controls not working consistently and the mileage being so far over stated by Ford I am so sad that I've wasted my money on this POS.

If you want recourse on the fuel economy, call the EPA, not Ford. Ford doesn't overstate anything, they just test to the EPA rules like everyone else does. If you aren't getting the same mileage as the window sticker, then you are not driving in the EPA test conditions. That's not Ford's fault.

• Like 2

I don't think there is any recourse over fuel mileage unless it applies to a large number of drivers of a vehicle model. Hyundai ended up settling a class action law suit over the stated mileage of their Santa Fe by giving gas cards to owners of that model. But for individuals there is the famous expression "your mileage may vary".

I can easily exceed the 30 mpg highway mileage rating in my '13 Ecoboost on secondary highways where the speed limit is only 55 or 60 (not so much on an interstate highway at higher speeds). And my Mustang 3.7 V6 gets 29 mpg in similar conditions despite the fact that it is a heavier convertible and I've upgraded the rear end to higher ratio (numerically) gears. So I would think an Edge with the same V6 would have no problem reaching its rated 27 mpg when driven at lower speeds like that.

If your mileage is a few mpg lower than rated, it's probably because of different driving conditions and driving style. If it's significantly lower then perhaps it would be best to have the dealer take a look to see if there is a problem.

If you want recourse on the fuel economy, call the EPA, not Ford. Ford doesn't overstate anything, they just test to the EPA rules like everyone else does. If you aren't getting the same mileage as the window sticker, then you are not driving in the EPA test conditions. That's not Ford's fault.

Unless they screwed up the coast down formula .......

• 2 months later...

We are also having problems with the 2014 Edge Navigation - when we were in Great Falls recently, the navigation showed us (the vehicle) on the north side of the Missouri River while we were actually on the south side of the river. This has happened several times - the actual location of the vehicle is a block or two away from what shows up on the map! We will be cruising down a highway and suddenly the map shows us off in some farmer's field and Nav is telling us to turn on Hwy xxx. This would be very scary if we in an unfamiliar location. We are now using our old Garmin to get us where we want to go!!

Edited by mersheil