Navigation Upgrades

I took delivery of my Edge last week, and after reading this, I am pleased that I did not buy the Nav pack. I have always been suspicious of factory Nav packs from any manufacturer, and this thread simply confirms my suspicions.

There are plenty of third party GPS Navigation systems available with free lifetime updates around for under 500 bucks, and some are closer to 200 bucks.

For me, I'll stick with my iPhone and Google Maps, which is updated daily.

Who is Navteq, anyway?

My apologies to bump an old thread.

Post 17 still key.."Navteq actually wanted to lower the price in order to generate more business for themselves, but Ford did not allow it and kept the price high"

Since discussion above Nav card A-5 was released. see link below for more info- some say not much change & price does vary by dealer & online much cheaper & confirmed works.

http://boards.synccommunity.com/discussions/Welcome_to_SYNC_Owner_to_Owner/Tips_Tricks__Stories/Navigation_version_A5_is_available_for_purchase/fordsyncmb/8970.1?nav=messages

And from what was posted in other thread---- MFT 3.7 release (maybe for 2014 & newer cars) Ford removed a navigation feature-

That was .....Allowing you to send your download phone contact address to the navigation system so you can set a destination..

To me - further confirming the push to Fords $199 "send destination to sync " feature of their paid subscription services -"Sync Services."

So the FREE option of taking an address from phone- that auto downloads to the MFT/Sync system & then just sending that to car- bypassing any services, servers, using the car keyboard or voice recognition to speak address several times, or any paid programs, was removed. ...

Hmmm. .... in addition to as posted before removing the direct input of GPS Lat./Long. coordinates... ( as mentioned this helpful for campsites, state parks, Geo tagging to specific sites, websites that clearly state use this else navs rout you to our corp office & not the attraction, etc.)

an iPhone/Android app would be a great help. (I can already control my ATT uVerse TV from my phone) I'd love to project my phone mapping screen to the MFT screen, too, while I'm wishing, LOL!

Garmin, Tom-Tom, and Google Maps would be out of business if they only updated their maps every two years. Highways change daily at times.

Post 17 still key.."Navteq actually wanted to lower the price in order to generate more business for themselves, but Ford did not allow it and kept the price high"

Since discussion above Nav card A-5 was released. see link below for more info- some say not much change & price does vary by dealer & online much cheaper & confirmed works.

http://boards.synccommunity.com/discussions/Welcome_to_SYNC_Owner_to_Owner/Tips_Tricks__Stories/Navigation_version_A5_is_available_for_purchase/fordsyncmb/8970.1?nav=messages

And from what was posted in other thread---- MFT 3.7 release (maybe for 2014 & newer cars) Ford removed a navigation feature-

That was .....Allowing you to send your download phone contact address to the navigation system so you can set a destination..

To me - further confirming the push to Fords $199 "send destination to sync " feature of their paid subscription services -"Sync Services."

So the FREE option of taking an address from phone- that auto downloads to the MFT/Sync system & then just sending that to car- bypassing any services, servers, using the car keyboard or voice recognition to speak address several times, or any paid programs, was removed. ...

Hmmm. .... in addition to as posted before removing the direct input of GPS Lat./Long. coordinates... ( as mentioned this helpful for campsites, state parks, Geo tagging to specific sites, websites that clearly state use this else navs rout you to our corp office & not the attraction, etc.)

bummer. Ford is obviously trying to monetize a profit center here. I'm quite sure they are not alone.

I'm reminded of Mercedes installing 2000.00 cell phones in center arm-rests in the late eighties.

So the FREE option of taking an address from phone- that auto downloads to the MFT/Sync system & then just sending that to car- bypassing any services, servers, using the car keyboard or voice recognition to speak address several times, or any paid programs, was removed. ..

Like I said in my other posts on this subject, providing the function to send map cords direct to MFT from phone or PC over Wifi or BT would cause Ford to lose control over something they can charge $$ for. In this day of technology where everyone has a AP in their house, everyone has a smart phone with TB, WiFi, and knows what a tether is and how to set one up, its no longer magic that we need help with.

Ford, I see what you did there .. and Its an insult.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my A5 memory card map update Tuesday. It will not display maps at less than .75 mile scale. It knows the roads are there because it will build a route, it just doesn't display the map. I called here.com (old navteq) and they don't do technical support and sent me to national Ford. National Ford transferred me to here.com who eventually hung up on me. I put in my old A4 memory card and everything works fine. I talked to the local dealer and they are at a loss. They are checking the TSB's but don't hold out much hope. Anyone else having map display problems with A5?