Sign in to follow this  
trigg

Snow on 22's Causes Car to Shake

what a pain. any snow inside the massive wheel causes major vibrations. wasn't expecting this. twice I had to pull over to clean out the inside of the rim of snow so the car would vibrate all over the road.. im not talking filled with snow just and inch or so inside the rim.

I've had this issue on 20", but rarely, actually once or twice. In my case though it was a fair chunck of ice.

I find it difficult to think just a bit of snow would throw off the balance, but your experience says it all.

It'll be interesting to see if others have the same experience. If so, then there is a potential design flaw on those rims.

Edited by cv27

had vibration on front steering until I got the snow of the inside of the rim..

then driving again I had vibration that seemed to have been coming from the rear. whole dash was vibrating. pulled over again and on the passenger rear wheel there was snow in the rim. once I cleared the snow off no more vibration. the other side was clear. wasn't a lot of snow but the inside of the rim was covered with think layer all around.

Edited by trigg

This can happen on any size wheel if ya get in the right kind of snow and ice.

It'll be interesting to see if others have the same experience. If so, thn there is a potential design flaw ion those rims.

Same story here. My old Escape never had this issue. Looks like a design problem with 20'' rims.

that's because it cause the wheel to go out of balance, it's like adding the little weights to the inside of the rim. like everyone said, it can happen on any size rim. rims with larger openings make it easier for snow to go in.

I had this in my old sedan, 17" wheels, after drifting some in a parking lot. Never would have thought to consider it when looking at bigger wheels.

yes, must be that the opennings in spokes are so large the snow gets in there easily and stays.