13N02 - Extended Warranty Coverage on Brake Booster

omar302

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone, so my Ford edge just developed this issue. We took it to a dealer on our local auto shops advice and were told it wasn't eligible. After extensive research, it appears the repair was previously done by the previous owner. Is there any recourse for having this happen again? Unfortunately it was done 3 years ago so it doesn't seem to fall under that warranty.

Hi everyone, so my Ford edge just developed this issue. We took it to a dealer on our local auto shops advice and were told it wasn't eligible. After extensive research, it appears the repair was previously done by the previous owner. Is there any recourse for having this happen again? Unfortunately it was done 3 years ago so it doesn't seem to fall under that warranty.

If were to try and find a workaround, I'd check if the previous replacement was done during the original 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty, if it was, then I'd argue that the 1st replacement was supposed to be covered by the original warranty & that this replacement would be the 1st under the extended warranty.

• Like 2

I just checked the program, it is clear as I suggested, the one-time repair under this program should be done after expiry of the original warranty:

SERVICE ACTION

If an affected vehicle displays this condition and is beyond the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, dealers are authorized to replace the brake booster under this one-time repair program. This repair must be performed at no charge to the vehicle owner.

• 1 month later...

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. Like so many others my 2010 Edge had a bad booster. Same symptoms as everyone else. I took it to the dealer but my vin# was not covered, and Ford confirmed the same. My Edge was built April 12, 2010 – a mere 3 weeks before the CSP went into effect… Was quoted at $550 installed for the booster replacement. Not looking forward to paying to have my brake booster replaced for the same service others were covered under warranty. As asked above, anyone had luck with Ford repairing at no charge for a vehicle outside the build dates listed?

• 4 months later...

UPDATE... My mothers Edge that has had this recall in 2014 again last week had the issue all over again. Ford dealer told us that Ford closed the recall and because work was done once would not be covered for a second time under recall even though it is within the timeline and under mileage. So, I did it myself. It wasn't difficult was worst of it was bleeding the brakes all the way around the vehicle. We have a video of it up on youtube channel is 6.0 bros entire project cost was about $200 that includes (booster, master cylinder, and new brake fluid)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

file a complaint with NHTSA anyway.

This is what I'm going to do.

This issue developed a couple weeks ago in our 2013 Edge. Our build date is 2 months past the cut off. The dealer said they would not cover it, so I called Ford. They also said they would not cover it. The 'man' I spoke with was very short with me and wouldn't even let me complete a sentence before he cut me off and insisted that it wasn't covered. Period... I was VERY ANGRY with Ford. This is a HUGE Safety issue for them and they have they're collective heads in the sand regarding this.

That being said I had it replaced and I have the old part to compare to the recalled ones.

I'll try to keep you up to date.

Edited by mesaman
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A Ford representative will be with you shortly.
Blair says:
Hello Jim. My name is Blair. How can I help you?
Again, it's Jim says:
Hi Blair... the brake booster in the vehicle needs to be replaced. This I know as fact. Paid to have it diagnosed. Now... I've been told the replacement isn't covered under the extended warranty. My question: Why? Specifically WHY? Thank you.
Blair says:
I would be happy to help! What is the approximate mileage on your vehicle?
Again, it's Jim says:
Blair says:
You purchased an extended warranty through your dealer, Jim?
Again, it's Jim says:
No.
Again, it's Jim says:
Your 13N02 supplement.
Blair says:
This is a Customer Satisfaction Program which are VIN specific. I do not see that your vehicle qualifies for this program as it is not listed. It is only for certain 2010-2013 Ford Edge models. Not every model within those years will qualify for this program. I do not have access to the process which determines what VIN's are chosen to be apart of Customer Satisfaction Programs and recalls.
Again, it's Jim says:
OK. So... who has that access? Who can tell me specifically why a vehicle that was built in that plant... within that time frame... and using the same booster parts supplier... isn't covered. I need to know the specifics. With whom can you connect me at Ford that knows "why" my vehicle isn't covered. Thank you.

Blair says:
I do not have any contacts available to for someone who has this information. Ford Motor Company and the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) work together to proactively identify areas of concern through investigation of consumer and dealer feedback. During an investigation Ford cooperates fully with NHTSA. Due to our rigorous safety standards and constant testing, not all issues result in recall or customer satisfaction programs for all vehicles within the same model year. You may be able to reach out to NHTSA for more information. They can be reached at 1-888-327-4236 or www.nhtsa.gov

Again, it's Jim says:
You're kidding, right? That's all great technical information, but I'm going to call a federal agency because you guys don't know why? So, you're telling me we're through here?

Blair says:
I do see where you are coming from, Jim, however I do not have access to that information and we do not have contact available for the process which shows which VINs are chosen to be apart of our programs.
Again, it's Jim says:
Thank you. Can you tell me if the 2012 Ford Edge Sport specifically is not included in the warranty campaign?

Again, it's Jim says:
Blair?

Blair says:
Yes, I am still here. Did you see my last message?
Again, it's Jim says:
Yes. Thank you.

All that said... does anyone know WHY?

All that said... does anyone know WHY?

It’s a fairly simple concept. When they find a defect like this they determine if it was a bad batch of parts or an assembly line problem and what caused it and when it likely occurred and that’s what they either recall or cover with an extended warranty. If yours wasn’t included it’s likely (but not guaranteed obviously) that it’s a different problem even if the symptoms are the same.

It’s also possible they’ll expand the coverage so if you have to pay for the repair keep your receipts and if they cover it later you’ll get reimbursed.

I had the same thing happen with a Sony flat screen TV.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well, like many  others, I have now been bitten by the failed brake booster. Edge is at dealer now for replacement, which of course they do not have the part and it is on order.. Fortunately mine qualifies for the campaign, but of course, there's more.. My HCU is dead as well. Over $1000 repair. Ford, why is this not covered as well??? No excuse in this. I have been a loyal Ford owner for over 30 years, but this is pushing me over the edge as to whether or not I will remain one. And why is this campaign not eligible for a rental car from Ford? This is a SAFETY issue! And the part is apparently hard to get.

What happened to us is we were driving home last Friday and a car pulled out in front of me. I had to hit the brakes hard, which is when I assume the diaphragm ripped, and immediately afterwards I had no brake boost. To stop it I had to use manual shifting to gear down to help it stop as I drove to to my dealer. We like the truck as far as comfort, features, etcc., but...

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...

Add me to the list of replaced brake boosters. However, I caught mine before it completely failed. I just replaced my brake rotors, pads and calipers, which did not improve the pedal feel. I decided to have the dealer check my booster, which turned out to be defective. Dealer replaced the booster under warranty and the brake pedal is right at the top. Great dealer experience, with diagnosis and repair same day. And I’m sitting at 130k on my 2011 Sport, so time was running out. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Last Friday I got in my car and about to back out of my driveway and pressing the brake pedal it felt weird. Kind of spongy and the pedal went down too far.

Drove a block to try it out and it went down to the floor and took longer to stop. (My car has only 59k miles)

I went home and got online and read this and a couple other related threads and also other online sites like carcomplaints.com (which has a lot regarding this) and found out about the service bulletin.

I looked on the label on my car and saw it was built May 2012 but didnt say where. I drove my wife's car to the dealer to talk to a service rep about it and when I could bring it in and was it covered under the SB.

I didn't even have to give them my VIN, they had it right there in the computer that it was fortunately covered for brake booster. 

Reading these posts and others looking at the symptoms I wasn't sure that it was the booster because there was no hissing sound or squealing when I pressed the pedal. Also there was no obvious leak of the brake fluid. Since I couldn't get a hard pedal, it was reduced braking power, so based on what I read it sounded like it could be a master cylinder problem. 

I took it in and they said yes it was the brake booster and they replaced it. I asked the guy about the master cylinder and he said oh no it's fine. 

The next day he says that after installing and testing the booster that the brakes were still spongy and that the master cylinder had to be replaced. It would cost $450 which is a lot less than the prices I've seen other people posting for this repair in other parts of the US. 

They had it for four days. When I went to get it the service rep said that the booster leaked into the master cylinder and contaminated it and thus had to be replaced. This is the opposite of what I've read where people say it sounds like or can be the master cylinder leaking into the booster causing it to go bad. I don't know. But once it was fixed the brakes are working much better, hard pedal, no travel when pressing the pedal to engage the brakes. 

I think it had been on the way out for some months because last March I had to replace the rear brakes and after that I noticed the pedal went down a little further to engage them and over time it seemed the get worse but not enough to raise concern. At least I wasn't driving it when it went out. The weird thing is I had them change the oil two months ago and presumably they check all the fluids and didn't notice brake fluid decline. Unless they did and just topped it off. Who knows. 

On another note given the problems I've seen discussed regarding the PTU and although my car is not in the batch affected by that faulty part, they recommended changing the fluid and so I did. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brake booster finally failed at 89,800 miles on our 2012 MKX with qualifying 9/8/2011 build date.

Brake pedal became progressively spongy over a couple of weeks, then vacuum boost effect was lost and hissing noise was evident through firewall when brake pedal fully to floor and very high-effort brake operation.

Dealer replaced brake booster under the 13N02 extended warranty coverage at no cost to us.

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Heard my brake booster hissing last week and I was dreading having to DIY it.   Took it to the dealer today under the extended 10 year warranty.  Turns out I'm at 9 years 10 months........ just made it! 

Parts are now on order, and they're ordering parts for the door latch  19N09 recall too!  Feeling lucky!!

Edited by pedro2u
  • Like 2