mysterious thump bump clunk sound when braking at low speeds

Mark D'Andrea

With all the write ups on thunk thump, I will be listening more intensely now to my 2013 SEL that I recently bought with 47,000 km's on it. Heard something, but check myself all the time for being "crazy" (Don't we all?)

I do hear a low thunk thunk on occasion when braking slow or fast. I have attributed it to the gasoline in the tank, since I usually can hear it more pronounced after a fill up. Must be the fuel sloshing back and forth in the tank because it dissipates after about 10 seconds with the vehicle finally stopped.

With all the write ups on thunk thump, I will be listening more intensely now to my 2013 SEL that I recently bought with 47,000 km's on it. Heard something, but check myself all the time for being "crazy" (Don't we all?)

I do hear a low thunk thunk on occasion when braking slow or fast. I have attributed it to the gasoline in the tank, since I usually can hear it more pronounced after a fill up. Must be the fuel sloshing back and forth in the tank because it dissipates after about 10 seconds with the vehicle finally stopped.

I'm here to help, Liptoss; have you had your dealer take a look at your Edge? They'll be able to diagnose this and suggest the best next steps. Feel free to use this to get started, and keep me posted as things progress!

Brittany

• 4 weeks later...

I can hear you knocking, but you can't come in.

OK, so I've an appointment with the dealership next Tuesday for AGAIN the driver door ajar warning sensor/switch. They fixed it once and it's back again. Drives me nuts... it can't be ignored! It'll ding-ding with every slow/stop that I come to.

With the factory 60 k almost up in 10 days I'm having this done AND I'm going to have them look over the filler breather/vent tube for the petrol fill. Thunk-thunk after a fill up.

I tried last fill up and notice I could fill a heck of a lot additional fuel and it never over flowed. I also notice that the fuel gauge registered higher on the console display. Usually I've been not pushing the "extra" petrol into the tank after the first click stop of the pump at the station.

So, I'm wondering is there anyone out there that has had their Edge looked at for this issue?

What exactly was found and the resolve that was implemented?

Or

Is this even an issue?

Vehicle runs fine and fuel consumption inline with others at about ~9.5L per 100km's or 29~30 mpg highway and 12~13L or ~22 mpg in town.

Is this something that I could look at for the vent /breather tube? I'm handy and not scared to take things on myself. I simply need to know where I might start looking for "this potential" problem with EVAP?

I recall years ago being told by my mechanic buddy that when filling fuel, "Don't pump and pump to round up the cash value to even it as you risk overflow of raw fuel back to the EVAP canister with the charcoal and that can damage it and it is a costly part to replace."

Any thoughts anyone?

Thnaks

• 6 years later...

Guys problem is been SOLVED !!! I had a clunk noise at the rear end every time Im slowing down. I was trying to figure it out and finally I did it. So eventually when the car was at the shop for rear brake job, the shop failed to put brake pads hardware (each brake pads 2 hardware pieces ago going on each side in order for pads to sit firm. Unfortunately because shop failed to put hardware on brake pads, pads were loose and every time I tried to apply brakes and then slowly release them clunk noise happens. It was sooo annoying but finally its gone after installing new brake pads with hardware. Btw it was occasionally making squeaking noise from the rear end as well. Good luck with your repair. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Branislav said:

Guys problem is been SOLVED !!! I had a clunk noise at the rear end every time Im slowing down. I was trying to figure it out and finally I did it. So eventually when the car was at the shop for rear brake job, the shop failed to put brake pads hardware (each brake pads 2 hardware pieces ago going on each side in order for pads to sit firm. Unfortunately because shop failed to put hardware on brake pads, pads were loose and every time I tried to apply brakes and then slowly release them clunk noise happens. It was sooo annoying but finally its gone after installing new brake pads with hardware. Btw it was occasionally making squeaking noise from the rear end as well. Good luck with your repair. 

At the very minimum your new pads and rotors and labor should free!  Time to find a new shop post haste!