What to expect at 200,000+ miles

macbwt

• 5 weeks later...

This is Lullubelle. LU for short. LU passed 200,000 miles yesterday and is running pretty good. Thanks to the Orange Crush LU has benefited from lessons learned and Ford Engineering improvements. LU stands in much better shape than the OC did at his point of 200,000 miles. I will be making a video on the history of maintenance/repairs on LU to this point of 200,000 miles. Here a few photos in the mean time.

post-28743-0-92165200-1498827174_thumb.jpg

post-28743-0-53744500-1498827189_thumb.jpg

post-28743-0-79449600-1498827207_thumb.jpg

post-28743-0-70531500-1498827218_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Two new rear wheel hub/bearings were installed. Removing them was rather difficult due to extreme rust. Had to use a blow torch, hand sledge and a sliding sledge at the same time to bust them loose and even the hammers took some effort. The housing where the hub mounted was so rusty that once I removed the rust the new hubs fell into the opening and I did not even have to pull the hub into position with the fasteners.

• Like 1

Man, God bless you guys that live up there in snow and salted roads country. My 2 previous Explorers and now the Edge have all lived in warm temperate climates (Cali and Texas) and never had to deal with any rust or bad corrosion issues. I did front hubs on my 4x Explorer once and they come off easily. Hand sledge and slide hammer - yikes. Aren't those WWF moves?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was going to happen and finally did LU was running rather sluggish at WOT and I checked the Filter Minder and it was at 80 percent. So I was only running 20 percent air flow. I pulled out the AEM filter and cleaned it. Got a bunch of mud out of it and have now let it dry and re-installed the filter. Let's see what happens tomorrow during the 400 miles I will put on it. The AEM filter had 98,000 miles on it since it was installed and was never cleaned.

• Like 1

I have a similar setup; AEM filter w/ the filter minder. I don't intend to let it go that many miles but now I know how far it CAN go without a cleaning. I'll probably clean it every other oil change or so. I'm currently doing 5k oil changes so 10k-15k sounds about right. It sure would be nice to get 150k-200k out of my Edge also!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Mac, new type of Filter Minder? I have the one that lays flat on the airbox and has the dial type read out. Is that one more accurate than the dial type?

Ā 

PS: You shoulda' bought the Lambo.

I have the dial type on my wife's Edge. This one was installed by the Filter Minder corp on my Edge. I am not aware of any measurement differences other then the difference in the designs they both do the same thing.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

Did a video today on another topic and recorded the cold start up of LU. Got me some blue smoke at start up for a minute or so. HUmmmm

Had this happen on ours once. Also a 2011, had around 75K miles on it. Started with remote and got blue smoke for a few seconds.

Unrelated, but did spark plugs and recently the valve cover update since then. Just under 90K miles now and running strong.

• Like 3

Thanks, great video. Ford Quicklane has been doing my oil changes and vehicle inspection and hasn't mentioned this as an issue. Does this happen in all vehicles? I'll have to pull that apart this weekend and take a look.

Ā 

Seems like a simple fix, and might as well do it while you're changing the plugs since it's already off (which is on my list already to do)

• Like 1