What to expect at 200,000+ miles

macbwt

My current 2011 Ford Edge (Lulubelle) will soon be surpassing the Orange Crush 285,500 mile mark.   At the rate things are going it seems the 1.5 Gen Edge has benefited from learned maintenance from the Orange Crush and I also believe some improved engineering from Ford.  The 2011 is definitely holding up much better then the gen 1 Edge. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just an update.   Lulubelle is now peaking at 283,000 miles and will soon pass the Orange Crush in mileage.  The 1.5 Gen however has proved to be a much better gen Edge as far as wear and tear.  No major issues and that water pump is still pumping even though it is the OE water pump. Let head off to 300,000 and see what new territory looks like.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Running at the 290,000 mile mark and LU the 2011 Edge is so smooth with the new complete suspension replacement.  the cost and work was worth the effort.  LU is paid off and recently evaluated for trade in at 2300 dollars by a dealer. LOL   I asked for the trade in evaluation expecting low ball dealer trade in price.   The thing is this Edge show excellent wear in oil testing on the engine and transmission.  It runs flawlessly and is still on the OE water pump and timing chains. Oil changes are at 250 hour intervals (over 10K miles)  using a different synthetic oil each oil change.   I also checked under the Edge and hardly any rust and no leaks. This is one tight Edge with many more miles to go.  LU is a keeper.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

LU is smiling at 296,000 soon.  Pretty sure 300,000 is going to happen before Christmas.   As a celebration after the first of the year LU will be receiving her first ever new water pump, chains, tensioners, guides etc.  Pretty sure it is time as the ole Duratec is making a bit of noise so pushing it just  a bit more.   This will be 15K more than the 2008 Edge ran.

56232247_10216821360839250_324270550539042816_n.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 10:54 PM, macbwt said:

LU is smiling at 296,000 soon.  Pretty sure 300,000 is going to happen before Christmas.   As a celebration after the first of the year LU will be receiving her first ever new water pump, chains, tensioners, guides etc.  Pretty sure it is time as the ole Duratec is making a bit of noise so pushing it just  a bit more.   This will be 15K more than the 2008 Edge ran.

56232247_10216821360839250_324270550539042816_n.jpg

Why not keep going just to see how long the original wp will go? chances are you will get warning with leaking if it does go, but if not its a 300k mile vehicle - is it really worth putting all that money into a new wp and chain anyway?

Edited by erikrichard
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 11:59 PM, erikrichard said:

Why not keep going just to see how long the original wp will go? chances are you will get warning with leaking if it does go, but if not its a 300k mile vehicle - is it really worth putting all that money into a new wp and chain anyway?

I keep asking my self this same question.  When or if something happen I will know the answer.  Keep in mind dealer trade $$$$ is only 2200 dollars. LOL

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 6:27 AM, macbwt said:

I keep asking my self this same question.  When or if something happen I will know the answer.  Keep in mind dealer trade $$$$ is only 2200 dollars. LOL

I say go for a million miles on an original wp - the way you put on miles it could happen! 'Course I'm not going to buy you a new engine if things go bad so I don't blame you if you don't take my advice.

Edited by erikrichard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Getting a bit of a rattle at 312,000 miles from the AC compressor.  Fairly certain that is the noisy part.  Going to let it ride a bit longer. Thinking it is the bearing on the pulley.  AC is running fine.  Other than that just doing my daily drives.   Had another accident and will be receiving a check for about 1700 dollars.  Not going to repair it this time as I only have liability and the value of the vehicle is just not supporting a repair. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2014 at 8:02 PM, macbwt said:

Made the appointment to replace the drivers side strut bearing mount and found out the passenger side was a master pro part that failed and was replaced with a MOOG strut bearing mount. I replaced almost every part of the suspension with MOOG parts except the strut bearing mounts. Guess which parts are failing? lol Moral to the story I guess is do not buy master pro parts. Stick with MOOG

On MOOG parts...

For a 2015 Edge (3.5 AWD), is the MOOG rear hub/bearing assembly the exact same part as the front hub/bearing assembly?  I'm planning on replacing all 4 wheel bearings on mine as I do a suspension refresh, but I can't seem to find any complete assemblies that specify that they're for the front.  For example, here's the rear assembly:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-513275/applications/year/2015/make/ford/model/edge/drivetrain/awd

But the SummitRacing website indicates that they're for the rear only and recommends press-in bearings for the front.  I'd rather just replace the front hubs instead to save messing around with presses.  I'd appreciate any advice you may have.

All the best,

Andrew.

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2019 at 11:54 PM, macbwt said:

LU is smiling at 296,000 soon.1   As a celebration after the first of the year LU will be receiving her first ever new water pump, chains, tensioners, guides etc. 

What do you attribute the long life on the water pump on? Coolant and oil changes? What intervals?