Transmission question and service bulletin

Would you buy parts from Levittown if a mechanic (not Ford) would install it? Or would you just use the prices to get a better deal from the dealer?

I have not heard from the dealer yet with a firm estimate, but I've been calling around. I just got an estimate for a used transfer case (68k miles) one year warranty for $1535 + labor from a mechanic I have used and trusted in the past.

Yeah....I hear you about the used cars. I have always bought used foreign cars and I have never had any problems beyond what is expected from wear and tear. This is my first Ford and I am certainly questioning my decision now!

Thanks again for your time and advice. I appreciate it.

Let your mechanic buy the transfer case from Levittown and tell him you know how much it should cost. I don't see why you would pay $900+ just for a 1 year mechanic's warranty, since you are paying labor separately.

Or have a Ford dealership install it if it is cheaper, you do get a 1 year warranty standard, I believe. If getting it done at a Ford dealership, negotiate the price on the part to at least get a discount if not match the online price from Levittown.

Hi Is73800.

Unfortunately, I bought it used in January. It is a 2009.

The other thing is, the problem is with the transfer case/PTO. I am actually relieved that its not the transmission. What I defined as a thump was actually a grinding noise, as per the Ford mechanic. And apparently a grinding noise speaks to a transfer case failure.

I miss my Edge. I haven't been able to drive it in over two weeks.

Regardless of when you purchased your Edge, the new Ford parts warranty is something completely different! If you were to purchase a new transfer case now, it is covered for the 2 years, unlimited miles. If you bought new spark plugs now, they would be covered for 2 years, unlimited miles. Almost any new Ford part is now covered for 2 years, unlimited miles. I only mentioned the transmission because that is covered for 3 years, unlimited miles, regardless of it being new or rebuilt.

It is a program Ford started back in October 2012 I believe.

Hello Todd,

I have a 2008 Edge SEL, 63000 miles. I've had it for 3 months and have experienced this slip and thump since day one. At times it was pretty extreme. It's been to the dealer numerous times and they cannot duplicate it so they cannot fix it. I have an extensive service contract. It was also covered by the dealer for 90 days (Powertrain). I am frustrated to no end with this. I took it to the dealer again last week and they gave me a 2012 to drive for comparison. I couldn't believe the difference, night and day. I told them if they weren't able to fix it then keep it. All the deals they offered me were not affordable. I called Ford Customer Service last week, I might as well have called Disney Land.

It sounds to me like there is a fix for this but they are not willing to do anything without duplicating the problem. It sat there since last week and they didn't take advantage of that time at all.

What do I have to do to get it fixed? It torments me to no end!

Roy

Hi Roy,

I am coming out on the other end of a similar situation, so I know how frustrating this is.

I went to the dealership and drove around with the mechanic so that we could confirm we were hearing the same noise. I was describing it as a thump and he heard it as a grind. Driving with him helped to clarify the issue.

I hope you are able to get your situation addressed.

Edited by Sandysage

Regardless of when you purchased your Edge, the new Ford parts warranty is something completely different! If you were to purchase a new transfer case now, it is covered for the 2 years, unlimited miles. If you bought new spark plugs now, they would be covered for 2 years, unlimited miles. Almost any new Ford part is now covered for 2 years, unlimited miles. I only mentioned the transmission because that is covered for 3 years, unlimited miles, regardless of it being new or rebuilt.

It is a program Ford started back in October 2012 I believe.

Thanks! I am getting my Edge's transfer case fixed now as we speak. I confirmed that the parts that are being put in it are part of this Ford warranty. I feel much better now.

• Like 1

Hello Todd,

I have a 2008 Edge SEL, 63000 miles. I've had it for 3 months and have experienced this slip and thump since day one. At times it was pretty extreme. It's been to the dealer numerous times and they cannot duplicate it so they cannot fix it. I have an extensive service contract. It was also covered by the dealer for 90 days (Powertrain). I am frustrated to no end with this. I took it to the dealer again last week and they gave me a 2012 to drive for comparison. I couldn't believe the difference, night and day. I told them if they weren't able to fix it then keep it. All the deals they offered me were not affordable. I called Ford Customer Service last week, I might as well have called Disney Land.

It sounds to me like there is a fix for this but they are not willing to do anything without duplicating the problem. It sat there since last week and they didn't take advantage of that time at all.

What do I have to do to get it fixed? It torments me to no end!

Roy

Hello Roy,

I certainly understand your frustrations. Have you considered visiting another Ford Dealer for their opinion? Also, I'd like to document your product feedback for internal review. If you're interested, let me know.

Todd

Thanks for your reply Todd.

Yesterday I did consult another local Ford dealer. They said they have had a few of these with my model year particularly and that they had replaced some sensors.

I have another appointment to return the car next Tuesday to the dealer. I'm going to get a loaner...little do they know I'm not giving that loaner back until they can affirm that my car is fixed.

You want to document my product feedback... okay, what do you need from me?

Roy

Thanks for your reply Todd.

Yesterday I did consult another local Ford dealer. They said they have had a few of these with my model year particularly and that they had replaced some sensors.

I have another appointment to return the car next Tuesday to the dealer. I'm going to get a loaner...little do they know I'm not giving that loaner back until they can affirm that my car is fixed.

You want to document my product feedback... okay, what do you need from me?

Roy,

I'm glad you have another appointment on the books. Be sure to keep me updated. As for your feedback, all I need is a PM with your full name, VIN, and any details you'd like me to include (as short or lengthy as you prefer).

Todd

I am sure Todd from Ford Customer Service will chime in when he sees your post, and can point you to a dealership you will be happy with. As far as warranty coverage, not to throw cold water on this issue, but that depends on the date of original purchase, also known as in-service date. If you grab the VIN, you can lookup any outstanding service bulletins etc. here:

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

I am sure Todd (or a dealer or anyone with access to OASIS or Carfax/AutoCheck) can find the in-service date for you.

I just clicked on your link and found I cannot get tsb info without registering...and there is/are fees.

Hi, I'm new here and I just found this forum because I'm having the same issues with my Trans. I am going to go to the dealer today or tomorrow but I just got off the phone with Ford and they told me my Powertrain warranty ended on March 21. (Grrr!) If I take the TSB to the dealer what can I expect? Will they work with me since it has only been a few weeks since it expired. What kind of cost am I looking at if they don't?

(I tried to PM Todd but I have to have 5 posts before the site will let me)

Thanks

Hi jkedge09.

My issue ended up being with my transfer case, not my transmission. Unfortunately, like you, my warranty ran out a short time before the problem started.

Therefore, Ford and my dealership did not have any obligation to help me. However, we did work out a deal with my dealership. Essentially I paid for the labor to replace my transfer case and the dealership covered the parts.

Of course I hoped for something more, but once the warranty ends, it ends. I learned my lesson on this one.

Good luck with your issue.