2014 Edge Defrost System Problem

Hello Everyone,

I recently picked up a 2014 Edge in January and have about 2,500 miles on the vehicle. Since I picked up this vehicle in the winter, I've had to use the defrost system to clear the front windshield and side windows. Unfortunately the system has not worked properly and I decided to see if time would fix it.

It is not mid-March and since the weather is nearing 32F, I've noticed that the defrost system works great above freezing. I believe that the A/C unit is not turning on above freezing as the air temperature inside the vehicle becomes colder when the thermometer reads above 32-33 degrees Fahrenheit.

But then once again the temperature drops below 32-33F outside, and the defrost stops working (no more "dry" air) and the windshield and side windows frost up very fast, literally within a matter of seconds. (I'd love to video record this but as you know, it's very dangerous while driving).

So basically, do any of you have this problem or know if it is a known issue with Ford? I will be taking it to a dealership very soon as it is a very serious driving hazard. On many occasions I've had to pull over and towel off the inside glass surfaces simply to continue driving.

I've tried every A/C, Temp, fan speed combination and they all seem to have minimal effects. I've manually turned the A/C button on (the Edge is the first vehicle I've owned when you hit the defrost button that the A/C "light" doesn't turn on) along with the defrost and that has no effect when the outside temperature is below 32F.

This is a very frustrating issue as everything else on the Edge has been great.

Thank you in advance!

So basically, do any of you have this problem or know if it is a known issue with Ford? I will be taking it to a dealership very soon as it is a very serious driving hazard. On many occasions I've had to pull over and towel off the inside glass surfaces simply to continue driving.

Hey beerfoot,

I'd like to connect you with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to come to a swift resolution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, and preferred servicing dealership.

Todd

I had this exact same problem. Ford just Reprogrammed the Rear Climate Control Module to the latest callibration using IDS release 89.03 and higher. Callibration files may be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. It took my dealer a few months to get this fixed, very frustrating and very dangersous to drive when my windows were always fogged up. It all clear as of this past weekend. I was tired of everyone telling me to try different combinations of air conditioning, recirculation etc, this was simply a problem with the car, not my use of the defrost etc. So glad to get it fixed. Reference: TSB 14-0048.

Edited by Robert Daveant
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I am having the same issue. I have been to the dealer 3 times so far and they cannot seem to fix it. It goes in and out of fogging up and most recently did this and I had to stop completely in the middle of a 4 lane hwy bc I could not see a thing. I had two infants in the back with me and frankly this could have been a deadly outcome. I am documenting with video and time stamping all videos and sending to my lawyer should anything happen to me in this car. My dealer STILL cannot diagnose and fix the problem and this car is only 3 months old. HELP!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2014 Edge. The interior defrost system is horrible. I've had frosting issues during the summer months while the AC is running. Now living in Denver I' ve even at times had to scrap the inside windows of ice. I've tried every adjustment I know but at times had to pull over and scrap the interior windows. My wife has a Lexus RX350 with no issues. Neighbors have an Acura SUV and no issue either. If this wasn't company vehicle I would sell it.

I have the 2014 Edge. I got it in April so the weather was warm enough to not notice a problem. Since it's gotten cold, the inside windows completely fog up. I've tried every combo of control setting with no help. It is a company car and if the dealer doesn't fix this I will complain to my company that this is a serious safety issue. I darn near got t-boned today because I didn't see a van headed my way.

I am having the same issue. I have been to the dealer 3 times so far and they cannot seem to fix it. It goes in and out of fogging up and most recently did this and I had to stop completely in the middle of a 4 lane hwy bc I could not see a thing. I had two infants in the back with me and frankly this could have been a deadly outcome. My dealer STILL cannot diagnose and fix the problem and this car is only 3 months old. HELP!

Welcome to the community, Cooper Boone!

I’m the Ford Customer Service Representative on this forum, and my name is Tricia. Is your Edge still experiencing these symptoms and have you considered seeking a second opinion from another Ford Dealer?

I’ll be happy to look into available options to assist. Which model year is your vehicle and what’s the current mileage?

After working with Ford service, they sent me a service notice and I took it to a Ford dealership. I believe they reprogrammed the control module as it is working now.

I know this can be frustrating, please contact Ford service directly and they should be able to help!

Hello Beerfoot,

Thanks for the mention and for sharing your end results. I’m glad to learn that your dealer was able to resolve your concern. :)

I have a 2014 Edge. The interior defrost system is horrible. I've had frosting issues during the summer months while the AC is running. Now living in Denver I' ve even at times had to scrap the inside windows of ice. I've tried every adjustment I know but at times had to pull over and scrap the interior windows.

I have the 2014 Edge. I got it in April so the weather was warm enough to not notice a problem. Since it's gotten cold, the inside windows completely fog up. I've tried every combo of control setting with no help.

I have a 2014 ford edge with 3000 miles on it. My inside windows fog up no matter what settings I try. Does anyone else have this problem.

Welcome, welcome, and welcome, guys!

Let me lend a hand. Please private message (PM) me your full name, VIN, dealer name, current mileage, and best contact number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist.

Tricia

Edited by FordService
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have had this same defrost issue. I have even mentioned the TSB to the dealer and they are clueless.

They say they can not duplicate the issue therefor no problem. I even asked asked if I had the most current version of software and they said I did.

If that is the case how come my windows continue to fog up? They can't be bothered to tell me what version of software I have either. Like that is a trade secret.

I had another unrelated issue and asked for help resolving it and the service manager said I was on my own. How can I get the dealer to actually check the software? It's so frusting to have to do the dealers job.

• 5 months later...

I have my 2014 Edge in today for the second visit for the same issue. I tried another dealer (close to my house) after my regular dealer (family friend) told me they couldn't replicate the problem. They found the drain hose from the evaporator core was clogged. Hopefully this clears up my issue. If not, has anybody found a good solution? I have had the windshield fog over multiple times while driving at highway speeds. With a newborn in the car, I think I will have to bite the bullet and trade it in if this continues. This time it cost me $100 because I passed my 36,000 miles and am into my 48,000 mile CPO warranty.

I have my 2014 Edge in today for the second visit for the same issue. I tried another dealer (close to my house) after my regular dealer (family friend) told me they couldn't replicate the problem. They found the drain hose from the evaporator core was clogged. Hopefully this clears up my issue. If not, has anybody found a good solution? I have had the windshield fog over multiple times while driving at highway speeds. With a newborn in the car, I think I will have to bite the bullet and trade it in if this continues. This time it cost me $100 because I passed my 36,000 miles and am into my 48,000 mile CPO warranty.

If the dealer is a family friend, just ask them to re-program the Climate Control Module to the latest calibration using the latest IDS release as mentioned above. No need to diagnose unless the issue is still present after the update. Here is post by WWWPerfA_ZNoW with details of a TSB on the same issue.

• 10 months later...

Bump

Due to the wonderful winter weather most of the country is experiencing we got to experience this very nice interior frost feature first hand while driving from north east Indiana back to Houston yesterday. You want to talk about dangerous driving try having your windows frost over when it is -5 outside thankfully I figured out when you have the defroster on with the fan speed on high the temp automatically goes to heat from h@ll setting no matter what you do with the temp controls and "conveniently" turns the A/C off, if you crack a window slightly and draw in dry air you can slowly VERY slowly clear up the windshield and front windows.

Does the updated IDS flash also work for the 2010 model year or is it only for the 2011+ models if so is there a TSB i can reference when I call the dealer I have a feeling Houston dealers will probably question what a defroster system does ;).

As an engineer how did they miss this scenario in testing who in their right mind would have the A/C turn off when temps drops below 32° and have the interior temperature setting automatically go to the highest setting while ignoring manual changes when turning on the defrost feature,

Edited by boiler662

Well below 32 the A/C isn't dehumidifying the air anyway so what's the point? It's already dehumidified by the cold. Were you by chance using the recirculate button? If so that's the problem.

Not sure what you mean with the temp control.

Recirculate was not on at least not on by me, pressing the button does nothing on the 2010 it will not illuminate the recirc icon on the HVAC display with defrost selected.

It would not let me lower the temp I had it set to 60 and it was still blowing hotter than blazes with defrost on.

A few thoughts could recirculate be stuck open? If it is that still does not explain why it always blows hot with defrost on as soon as I change the direction to dash or floor everything acts as it should.

Edited by boiler662