Ford Edge Forum
Beerfoot

2014 Edge Defrost System Problem

Maybe the controller is just fubar’d. Try disconnecting the battery cable for a few minutes just to reset everything.

Did you by chance have it set on Max Defrost? Some have that function and some don’t.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure the 2010 does not have max defrost unless that is the standalone defrost button.

Now that temps have returned to normal for South Texas everything works as it should that leads me to believe it is a software issue and the system freaks out once the temps drop below freezing.

Does anyone have the TSB # to update the HVAC system? Also,I am guessing it is not normal to have the air flow directed to the floor (not the floor and defrost setting) and air comes out of the defroster vents in the doors?

After further investigation I am thinking the recirculation door is stuck in the recirculation mode, I hear no change in air flow when pressing the button which would also explain why the defrost setting was not working properly that still does not explain why the heat sky rocketed when the Temps were so cold.

If the door is stuck is it behind the glove box and which motor controls it? Has anyone ever had to fix it before?

Thanks

Andy

Got it figured out thanks akirby it was due to recirc being on. It turns out the piece of the blend door that connects to the motor broke. If the door is closed it will open however if the door is open it will not close.

From what I can find the door is part of the entire housing so it is off to the junk yard to find a door.

post-11188-0-06618900-1515279393_thumb.jpg

Edited by boiler662
  • Like 1

I finally found out how to solve this issue. When I start the car, I press Max AC, then switch to defrost/floor heat. The moisture is pulled out of the car and the windows are clear. If I forget, I see the fog start, press max ac, go back to defrost and the windows immediately clear. Clearly in my vehicle, the AC compressor doesnt run in defrost with AC light on, but if I blow it into my face on Max AC first, the compressor continues to run.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't engaging the Max AC just close the recirculation door? The AC compressor runs if either the setting is set to defrost or Max AC. Setting it to Max AC just allows the system to run colder, running on defrost runs both AC and heat to the windshield; just takes a little longer is all. Are you saying that your defroster doesn't run the compressor? (I believe to doesn't run at all below a certain temperature).

I am having the same issue with my 2014 edge (new to me) 35000 miles. Could you please PM me I am new to the forum and cannot pm you. I am taking the edge to Londonderry NH dealer

So lets pretend someone who knows nothing about cars is having this issue in a 2014 edge. Lets say that for a pretty long time they thought it was just a user error thing and that not until a boyfriend drove the car did they realize it was a mechanical thing. I live in an area with lots of humidity and changing weather and foggy windows are an issue both inside and outside the vehicle. Please pretend Im a clueless girl and tell me how to fix this. Driving can already be stressful without faulty parts being a component too. Thanks

So lets pretend someone who knows nothing about cars is having this issue in a 2014 edge. Lets say that for a pretty long time they thought it was just a user error thing and that not until a boyfriend drove the car did they realize it was a mechanical thing. I live in an area with lots of humidity and changing weather and foggy windows are an issue both inside and outside the vehicle. Please pretend Im a clueless girl and tell me how to fix this. Driving can already be stressful without faulty parts being a component too. Thanks

I would suggest that you should pretend to take your Edge to a dealer to fix it. From pretending to read the posts in this thread, it seems the most likely issue is that the HVAC module needs to be re-programmed as per TSB-14-0062 posted here which probably only a dealer is able to do.

• Like 2